Protein powder reviews! Read and add

Options

Replies

• nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK AVOID Holland and Barratts Precision whey protein, its awful! leaves a nasty chemical aftertaste.

I'm still looking for a good one in the UK (I want to avoid the hefty postage costs!)

Look for Syntha 6, have had the strawberry, chocolate cake batter & vanilla ice cream flavours and they all taste amazing even when mixed with water. Hubby buys them, I drink them so can't give you costs but make sure you shop around ;)
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the entire Gaspari probiotic series. Some of the others have odd amounts of cholesterol. I'm hooked on the chocolate as well! :)

Some protein powders import protein sources from China and the quality is scary...be careful!
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Options
    My fav is Total Lean - trying to be carb light with a healthy dose of protein.

Serving Size 2 Scoops
    Calories 200.00 Calories from Fat 30.00 Total Fat 3.00 g 5% Saturated Fat 1.50 g 8%
    Cholesterol 60.00 mg 20% Sodium 280.00 mg 12% Potassium 480.00 mg 14% Total Carbohydrate 17.00 g 6% Dietary Fiber 8.00 g 32% Soluble Fiber 5.00 g Sugars 4.00 g Protein 25.00 g
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use SFH (Stronger Faster Healthier) Pure and Recovery formulas. I like that their whey comes from grass fed free range cows and not a factory farm type supply like some of the mega brands likely use.
    Vanilla and Chocolate flavors are both tasty, great mixed with almond milk or water or half and half. I think the Pure is 127 calories with 24 grams protein and Recovery is 89 with 17 grams protein and a good collection of aminos too. Their Omega-3 oils are tasty too though I don't take them regularly.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Body Fortress Vanilla
    Cardboard with a nasty chemical aftertaste. Even in a greek yogurt smoothie with fresh berries, it was barely drinkable. Nasty aftertaste cannot be covered up. Pass
    Best with (IMO): ???
    Protein Type: Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate
    Price:~$16 for 2lbs
    Purchased: Walmart
    Serving Size: 41 g (1 scoop), Calories: 170, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 7g, Protein: 30g

I like the vanilla - doesn't taste anything like cardboard or chemically to me..
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Body Fortress Vanilla
    Cardboard with a nasty chemical aftertaste. Even in a greek yogurt smoothie with fresh berries, it was barely drinkable. Nasty aftertaste cannot be covered up. Pass
    Best with (IMO): ???
    Protein Type: Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate
    Price:~$16 for 2lbs
    Purchased: Walmart
    Serving Size: 41 g (1 scoop), Calories: 170, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 7g, Protein: 30g

I like the vanilla - doesn't taste anything like cardboard or chemically to me..

Someone else said that there was a formula change with "new and improved taste" that was worse than the original. Maybe I got th new one and you had the old one? Nevertheless, these are, of course, just opinions.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Does anyone use plain protein powder in unusual things like soups/stews/gravies/??? Does it thicken whatever it is like cornstarch would?
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    This is timely.

I'm starting to lift heavy and want to increase my protein to 30%. The easiest way is via protein shake. Problem is, I HATE shakes. Like, I hate milkshakes, ice cream, smoothies. I can't remember what brands I've tried. Last week I got RTD muscle milk in chocolate and its just so awful. I have to chug all 11oz and the best chaser is coffee. ::shudder::

Is there a good way to try several brands without buying giant $20+ tubs? I have a magic bullet, but no real blender to speak of besides that. I'm not opposed to water or almond milk, but cows milk is out of the question.
  • MistyEE
    MistyEE Posts: 67
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a few without artificial sweeteners?

I am looking primarily for Whey without artificial sweeteners.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrion's Extreme Milk Chocolate. 24g protein, 1.5 g of fat, 4 g of carbs and 130 calories per scoop. This is the only protein powder I've found that actually tastes good mixed with water.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I take nitro tech cookies and cream flavor... Great tasting, plus it has aminos for recovery 30g protein per serving and some creatine... I found that my body reacts well to this product...
  • lilawolf
    Options
    This is timely.

I'm starting to lift heavy and want to increase my protein to 30%. The easiest way is via protein shake. Problem is, I HATE shakes. Like, I hate milkshakes, ice cream, smoothies. I can't remember what brands I've tried. Last week I got RTD muscle milk in chocolate and its just so awful. I have to chug all 11oz and the best chaser is coffee. ::shudder::

Is there a good way to try several brands without buying giant $20+ tubs? I have a magic bullet, but no real blender to speak of besides that. I'm not opposed to water or almond milk, but cows milk is out of the question.

Bodybuilding.com sells some powders in samples. I bought a 10 serving sample of ISO-dymatize vanilla for $14+sh and I know all of the other flavors were available too. You can get a sample pack of the Syntrax Nectar flavors for $15+sh, which I would suggest if you don't usually like milkshake type drinks. These are more like coolaid.
    http://bjsbariatrics.mybigcommerce.com/products/syntrax-nectar-sample-variety-pack.html

Good luck!
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Look for Syntha 6, have had the strawberry, chocolate cake batter & vanilla ice cream flavours and they all taste amazing even when mixed with water. Hubby buys them, I drink them so can't give you costs but make sure you shop around ;)

syntha 6 tastes good because is full of carbs and only 44% protein
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a few without artificial sweeteners?

I am looking primarily for Whey without artificial sweeteners.

Go for unflavoured and add coca powder
  • elanaknt
    elanaknt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrion's Extreme Milk Chocolate. 24g protein, 1.5 g of fat, 4 g of carbs and 130 calories per scoop. This is the only protein powder I've found that actually tastes good mixed with water.

Another vote for Optimum Nutrition....I like the Double Rich Chocolate. It is the first brand I tried after getting a recommendation from a girl at my gym and I have stuck with it. Tastes pretty good mixed with just water or milk and it is really awesome in smoothies. Just bought a 5lb. container from Amazon for $54 which qualified for free shipping.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. :)
  • Hollypop725
    Options
    I use a brand called Cellucor that I buy from Bodybuilding.com. They have some really good flavors, and the nutritional stats are pretty good. And I believe that most of the flavors are gluten-free, which is good!

Protein Type: COR-Performance Whey Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate)
    Price: $29.99 + shipping for 2lbs... they have a current special where you can get 6lbs with a pre-workout or fat burner for $69.99, so fairly affordable!
    Purchased: Bodybuilding.com
    Serving Size: 1 scoop (33g), Calories: 120, Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 3g, Protein: 25g

They have a wide variety of flavors. I've tried Cinnamon Swirl, Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Cookies and Cream, and Vanilla. They are all super delicious even with just water (which is rare for me to find), but I usually mix with vanilla unsweetened almond milk which gives it a really creamy flavor. The vanilla flavor is good for baking (I like to make a lot of protein pancakes, etc). The other flavors that I have not tried are Strawberry Milkshake and Molten Chocolate but I have heard they are super good as well.
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i'm currently partial to the syntrax brand of protein powders. i'm currently using the following:

1. syntrax matrix 5.0 (combination proteins) banana cream flavor: per scoop: 110 calories / 23g protein/ 1.5g fat / 2g carbs -- it's not an overwhelming fake banana flavor, and i really like mixing it with oatmeal.

2. syntrax nectar sweets - vanilla bean torte - per scoop: 90 cals / 23g protein / 0g fat / 0g carbs

they blend well with any liquid, although are a bit foamy when i use the nutribullet. i don't mind though!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Cytosport 100% Whey Concentrated and Isolated Whey Protein Vanilla flavor
    Tasty; Good base for the crap I like to load my shakes up with. One of the cheapest that I trust.
    Best with (IMO):
    -8 oz Almond Breeze unsweetened Almond/Coconut milk blend
    -7g Raw Cacao nibs for texture (like chewy chocolate chips!)
    -10g Chia seeds for fiber
    -15g MCT oil for satiety, etc.
    -3 tbsp cocoa for flavor & theobromine
    Protein Type: Concentrated and Isolated Whey
    Price:~$47+ tax for 6lbs
    Purchased: Costco in-store
    Serving Size: 1 Scoop (36g), Calories: 140, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 3g, Protein: 27g
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm currently right now using the Dymatize Elite XT Banana Nut Powder and mixing that with Fresh Banana,Lactose Free Milk,Matcha Green Tea Powder, and Ice. I like that one has a good taste and the green tea with it makes it better yet. And the Matcha tea is higher in antioxidants than you can even find in most fruits and veggies and it's been proven to target fat around the abdominal area so adding the matcha in is great and it gives you a calm kinda energy like you would get with caffeine without making you feel jumpy or anything. And sometimes I will add a bit of cinnamon to my smoothie too thats pretty good