How many calories to consume on Low Carb High Fat?

Options
Morning all :-)

I'd like to experiment with LCHF diet.
I researched for days but cannot find any info on how many calories I should consume??

I'm Female, 37 years old, 5'3 and 179lbs.

Also looking for LCHF friends with open diary to find motivation from :D

Thank you in advance x

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I researched for days but cannot find any info on how many calories I should consume??

Thank you in advance x

Same amount on any other diet - it's just a way to meet your calorie allowance

So what does MFP say when you plug in your stats and goals - eat that plus 50% of any purposeful exercise
  • fit_strong_ellie
    fit_strong_ellie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you :-)

That's easy then :-) x
  • sclogan
    sclogan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try this: http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator
    I am starting today and this is what I used. Hope it helps. Great websit too
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do the Ketogenic diet make sure to drink a lot of water to flush out the ketones. If you plan on doing this program for a long period of time then it might be beneficial to buy the ketone test strips - you can find them in the diabetic section at the drug store. You just want to make sure you don't have too high levels of ketones because they can be hard on the kidney's.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to the main LCHF forum group in MFP. I suggest that you might want to re-post your question there as there are lost knowledgeable LCHF members there and I'm sure that you will get some good advice there too:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    it's all about the calories - no matter what diet you try
    i limit my sugar to 50 grams a day, and that works for me (along with calorie counting).
    whatever works for you as long as those calories fit.
    i focus on hearth healthy and anti-cancer eating diets

There's some recent research that suggests that a ketogenic diet changes the calorie count enough to make a difference - that the conversion process for fat costs more energy than the conversion process for carbohydrates. But starting with whatever MFP comes up with is a good place to start.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I understand why you didn't find much information, diets like this tend to advertise themselves as "you don't have to count calories" - as if counting grams of fat and carbs was any less effort
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    i limit my sugar to 50 grams a day, and that works for me (along with calorie counting).

There's some recent research that suggests that a ketogenic diet changes the calorie count enough to make a difference - that the conversion process for fat costs more energy than the conversion process for carbohydrates. But starting with whatever MFP comes up with is a good place to start.

Perhaps there are some metabolic advantages of one over the other - similar to meal size/frequency/timing, but I think whatever is comfortable and convenient for you trumps any such benefit - would you really want to manage you meals in a way totally inconvenient to you for sake of being able to eat an extra cookie each day?
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ this was useful to me. i don't use the whole net carbs thing and subtract fiber...a carb is carb. i track kcals and my diary is open to view
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Great @neohdiver please post a link
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Here is a link to the main LCHF forum group in MFP. I suggest that you might want to re-post your question there as there are lost knowledgeable LCHF members there and I'm sure that you will get some good advice there too:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Agreed. And have a look at their launch pad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I understand why you didn't find much information, diets like this tend to advertise themselves as "you don't have to count calories" - as if counting grams of fat and carbs was any less effort

It kind of is less effort. As far as I can tell from brief experience.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Great @neohdiver please post a link

I suppose that neohdiver could post some links to studies about a metabolic advantage to low carb diets from pubmed. And then someone will post counter studies. And so on. And so on. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Thank you in advance x

So what does MFP say when you plug in your stats and goals - eat that plus 50% of any purposeful exercise

Agreed. Eat what you normally would.

For some, like me, a LCHF diet seems to fit very well and I lost more weight than I expected for reasons I can't be sure of. I set my calories at 1400 something to lose about 1.5 lbs per week. Instead I ate a bit over 1500 on most days and was losing 2-3 lbs per week without exercise. I suspect it is because I have insulin resistance and those with IR tend to lose better on a LCHF diet. A LCHF diet doesn't seem to have the same perks for healthier people.

I am 5'8", and was 185-190 lbs. 3-4 months later, I'm now about 155lb.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thank you in advance x

For some, like me, a LCHF diet seems to fit very well and I lost more weight than I expected for reasons I can't be sure of. I set my calories at 1400 something to lose about 1.5 lbs per week. Instead I ate a bit over 1500 on most days and was losing 2-3 lbs per week without exercise. I suspect it is because I have insulin resistance and those with IR tend to lose better on a LCHF diet. A LCHF diet doesn't seem to have the same perks for healthier people.

You're doing great! What's your goal weight?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

It kind of is less effort. As far as I can tell from brief experience.

It certainly can be if you're only counting carbs and half of what you eat has none.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thank you in advance x

You're doing great! What's your goal weight?

Thank you. :) My goal is about 140 lbs but I'll see. About 5 years ago I looked good at 147 lbs but I was fitter at the time. I know I had a great deal more muscle mass. This time I want to overshoot that a bit since my muscle mass is less. I'm slowly working on regaining but the arthritis and back injury I had since then is slowing that down.

I hope to be at 140ish by late March. I've only lost a lb over the last 3 weeks because my calories tend to be closer to 2200 rather than 1500. LOL I'm getting my calories back down though. I'm not in any rush. 3-4 lbs per month seems reasonable to me since I am no longer overweight.