The Silent Treatment: Does it work?

Options

Replies

• dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

You can rationally talk it out.
    Fixed your options for you.

This is all that's needed. Weapons are for people who refuse to do this.

This. The silent treatment to me is a control mechanism, a manipulation, and a mind game. None of which I'm fond of. Additionally, none of these usually amount to solid relationships.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't be they have a lovely life, but I think I feel for you go speak to your mother ????

You know what else works great? Whispering..

They can't hear you scream dinner's ready but whisper you brought home chocolate cake and they're beside themselves trying to find you
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Doesnt work for me.

My husband acts like nothings wrong when Im quiet and will go on about his day. And I'd never use it on my daughter because talking works with her. He is as non observant as they come and if i dont lay out the details and explain to him everything, he'll think everythings just peachy lol.

If talking decides not to work one day for my daughter I ever so gently lean close to her ear and calmly say "You have 5 minutes to redirect your attitude or there will be consequences" and she about craps herself every time and straightens her little butt right up.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does.

XdcEn7a.gif

(WuTang Clan last weekened at Bonnaroo)
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work on me...which enrages my wife. I can go the distance...

Same here I can go a month, two months, as long as the other person wants to take it. Besides silence is always good for the mind lol.

So you guys don't give your SOs the silent treatment??

To me communication is everything so no I don't give the silent treatment but if someone wants to give me the silent treatment well go ahead lol does not bother me one bit.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

No. See my previous post.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Same here I can go a month, two months, as long as the other person wants to take it. Besides silence is always good for the mind lol.

To me communication is everything so no I don't give the silent treatment but if someone wants to give me the silent treatment well go ahead lol does not bother me one bit.

So then it's more the silent treat than the silent treatment?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    in for bad parenting advice.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Don't be they have a lovely life, but I think I feel for you go speak to your mother ????

You know what else works great? Whispering..

They can't hear you scream dinner's ready but whisper you brought home chocolate cake and they're beside themselves trying to find you

My dad does this. He doesn't yell or scream. He speaks at a certain level and if you miss it because you're not listening, paying attention, or ignoring him then it's on you. :laugh:

My mom tries to use the silent treatment but it does more harm to her then us - she's the social butterfly. My dad and I are stubborn and content with silence. We know she loves us and that she's not going any where so we're content to let her get it out of her system. We'll be here to talk like rational adults when she's ready. :smile:
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

So then it's more the silent treat than the silent treatment?

ahahaha I guess so.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever given someone the silent treatment. I am way too vocal for that. I actually try communicating to see if we can work out whatever problem we are having. This also helps me see if I am being irrational in my expectations. If that doesn't work I just go bat *kitten* crazy instead. :bigsmile:
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Anything other than open honest communication is manipulative and juvenile. There are times that a subject needs to cool before that can be achieved but for things to be fixed both have to come together and express their grievances as well as admit fault for their part in the issue.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I lohilent treatment. It allows me to have some peace, and maybe even get some readin gdone without interruption and having to talk about feelings I don't have. Please.. More.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The silent treatment seems petty to me, work out whatever the problem is in the moment then let it go.
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When my wife gets mad at me she yells and nags...constantly.

When she's really pissed she gives me the silent treatment.

I always try to go the extra mile and get her good and pissed...ahhh the silence.

I LOVE IT!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Nah. Being silent and ignoring someone is too passive-aggressive for my tastes. I'd rather we just have it out then we move on with our day. This goes for relationships and child-rearing.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    be silent all you want....it's just another day in paradise for me......

it's when you start waving those fingers that I can't take it anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Not really....but I tend to get over things pretty quickly. I'm also pretty direct and to the point. I don't have a lot of time for drama and what not.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've been giving someone the silent treatment for many years now! The restraining order helped in that also *shrug* It's been quiet and heavenly since :bigsmile:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

This. The silent treatment to me is a control mechanism, a manipulation, and a mind game. None of which I'm fond of. Additionally, none of these usually amount to solid relationships.

This.