At my wits end

Hi!

I started my real weight loss journey about two and a half years ago. I say real because before that I was rather wishy washy about sticking to something long term or doing anything really healthy on a daily basis. I'd manage to pack on some serious pounds thanks to stress and school, and I only got the wake up call when I realized I could no longer fit into anything in my closet. Fast forward to today, I'm still trudging along, but am frustrated. I know I've made a lot of headway, but I just feel as though I should have more to show. I started this journey with some friends, and they all reached their goals within six months of starting, even though I ate cleaner and trained dirtier. I regularly change up my exercise routine, add on heavier weights, push myself, and eat a high protein moderate fat and low carb diet. My mom is a dietitian, so I know I'm eating well, and I make sure to engage in HIIT and strength training at least twice a week. So why, for the love of God why, do I still have this unsightly pudge?!? I HATE being an apple. All of my friends are pears or rectangles. No one gives much notice to a little extra junk in the trunk, but you have a flabby midsection, and everyone is out to poke it. And it's still a rather unhealthy amount of fat layered over my lower belly. My upper abs look decent, toned even. But go past my belly button and hello jello! At my waist proper, I am 30 inches, but the lower pouch rings in at a cringeworthy 35! There is no more fat on my body. It's all there. My ribs are starting to show, my shoulder blades stick out, my collar bones are basically cereal bowls, but I still look out of shape thanks to my tum. My labs are fine, and it's not genetics. You should meet my family. They eat as they want and still look good. I think I was adopted.

Wow. What a rant. I'm sorry. I'm just going insane. I want to wear a nice dress, or a cute top, but I cannot find anything to fit. I hate shopping. If I had my way, I'd move to some mountainous region and just be bundled in sweaters all day to avoid having to wear anything form fitting. Has anyone else had this issue? I need advice, a boost, anything! I'm sick of these tires

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Kash, do you weigh your food and track your calories? You can work out all you want, and eat 'clean' but it won't matter if you're not in a deficit. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I weighed 97 pounds at one point for about a year (yes, I know I have an unhealthy relationship with food/eating - way up or way down) and couldn't even sit on the floor because it hurt too much - no padding - and yet my tummy still stuck out. No weight loss or exercise made a difference. I'm afraid that's just how I was made. I wish better for you, but there is an extent to which you have to accept that your body is designed a certain way and it's possible that it won't get much better in that area (since you say your skeleton shows elsewhere).
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Lower belly is very difficult to remove. You will need some overall muscle mass for that section to go away which means eating at a deficit with weight training preferably heavy. It will take time you cannot rush this process.

I know it is frustrating but I promise you if stick with it for 6-8 months you will see great process. You will have to be disciplined and motivated but you will get great results.
  • kashmiridibber
    kashmiridibber Posts: 17 Member
    Kash, do you weigh your food and track your calories? You can work out all you want, and eat 'clean' but it won't matter if you're not in a deficit. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

I am strict with my calories! I track every little thing, and ensure I am always at a deficit.
  • kashmiridibber
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Lower belly is very difficult to remove. You will need some overall muscle mass for that section to go away which means eating at a deficit with weight training preferably heavy. It will take time you cannot rush this process.

I know it is frustrating but I promise you if stick with it for 6-8 months you will see great process. You will have to be disciplined and motivated but you will get great results.

I've been at it much longer than that...but I guess there is more to show for now, i really have to buckle down.
  • kashmiridibber
    I weighed 97 pounds at one point for about a year (yes, I know I have an unhealthy relationship with food/eating - way up or way down) and couldn't even sit on the floor because it hurt too much - no padding - and yet my tummy still stuck out. No weight loss or exercise made a difference. I'm afraid that's just how I was made. I wish better for you, but there is an extent to which you have to accept that your body is designed a certain way and it's possible that it won't get much better in that area (since you say your skeleton shows elsewhere).

That's what I'm afraid of :(
  • tashspring68
    tashspring68 Posts: 14 Member
    Have you seen a doctor to rule out any underlying health issues?
  • kashmiridibber
    Have you seen a doctor to rule out any underlying health issues?

Yes, all my labs are perfectly normal.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    You said you track every little thing, but are you weighing all solids on a food scale and measuring all liquids? What are your stats? Will you share height, weight and age--it will make it easier for people to help you! :smile:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I lost the last 10-12 lbs from my lower midsection alone, practically. I really did lose very little from my spots that already had lost a great deal of weight, whereas I lost inches from my waist and especially my belly pooch. Some of my bones do show, but they are also just big (I'm wide-framed)!

Of course, everybody is different, but it might not be proportionate loss is what I'm saying :) I thought my legs might get too skinny by the end, too, but then I lost the last lbs from where I wanted to for the most part.

I did add a bit more muscle on my hips afterwards to get the hip measurement I wanted, but that's what's so good about glute muscles ;) They make nice butts and can be spot-grown!
  • kashmiridibber
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You said you track every little thing, but are you weighing all solids on a food scale and measuring all liquids? What are your stats? Will you share height, weight and age--it will make it easier for people to help you! :smile:

I'm 5'10", 150 lbs, 24 years old. I don't weigh food, most of what I eat is pre measured.
  • kashmiridibber
    I lost the last 10-12 lbs from my lower midsection alone, practically. I really did lose very little from my spots that already had lost a great deal of weight, whereas I lost inches from my waist and especially my belly pooch. Some of my bones do show, but they are also just big (I'm wide-framed)!

Of course, everybody is different, but it might not be proportionate loss is what I'm saying :) I thought my legs might get too skinny by the end, too, but then I lost the last lbs from where I wanted to for the most part.

I did add a bit more muscle on my hips afterwards to get the hip measurement I wanted, but that's what's so good about glute muscles ;) They make nice butts and can be spot-grown!

Yeah I could afford to drop another ten pounds, so I guess that all is sitting on my stomach!
  • TayFit07
    TayFit07 Posts: 410 Member
    The important thing is NOT to weigh yourself, because it can be discouraging. Keep working out and workout with a group of people so it's kind of a competition. Just stay positive in the fact that you are doing something
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Makes me feel so much better. Maybe there is hope for us yet B)

• kashmiridibber
    TayFit07 wrote: »
    The important thing is NOT to weigh yourself, because it can be discouraging. Keep working out and workout with a group of people so it's kind of a competition. Just stay positive in the fact that you are doing something

Yeah I only look at the scale the first of every month. Rest of the time I may take out measuring tape, but I try and stay away from it too unless I really feel like there is a difference. The group thing didn't really work out for me
  • TayFit07
    TayFit07 Posts: 410 Member
    Most important thing to remember, you are your worst critic, I have had the worst self-esteem yet all my friends say they wish they had my body, look at the good things about you
  • kashmiridibber
    TayFit07 wrote: »
    Most important thing to remember, you are your worst critic, I have had the worst self-esteem yet all my friends say they wish they had my body, look at the good things about you

Yeah I try and stay positive, but it's hard when your friends can all dress and shop as they like and you're stuck hiding in a sweatshirt and jeans :/
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

I'm 5'10", 150 lbs, 24 years old. I don't weigh food, most of what I eat is pre measured.

Start weighing it.
  • kashmiridibber
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Start weighing it.

I measure out in measuring cups, weighing wouldn't help in most of what I eat.
  • SeeShell7
    SeeShell7 Posts: 2 Member
    How frustrating! Could it be postural? I'm a massage therapist and I see this kind of thing a lot. Check out these articles:
    http://woldfitness.com/2011/07/one-exercise-to-end-lower-belly-pooch/

http://www.hab-it.com/getting-rid-of-the-belly-pooch/