At my wits end

2»

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I feel that every pound of my extra weight is in my mid-section too. I'm short and short waisted so it is more obvious too. I have no advice for you except to say that it is very likely that no one notices your squishy parts except you. Just be kind to yourself!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You said you track every little thing, but are you weighing all solids on a food scale and measuring all liquids? What are your stats? Will you share height, weight and age--it will make it easier for people to help you! :smile:

I'm 5'10", 150 lbs, 24 years old. I don't weigh food, most of what I eat is pre measured.

Start weighing it.

I measure out in measuring cups, weighing wouldn't help in most of what I eat.

You might be surprised. Especially with pre-measured foods.
  • kashmiridibber
    kashmiridibber Posts: 17 Member
    SeeShell7 wrote: »
    How frustrating! Could it be postural? I'm a massage therapist and I see this kind of thing a lot. Check out these articles:
    http://woldfitness.com/2011/07/one-exercise-to-end-lower-belly-pooch/

http://www.hab-it.com/getting-rid-of-the-belly-pooch/
    My posture probably does play a role since I'd always slouch in school due to my height. I've actually been trying to correct that for the past year with the help of a corset, but I will look into these articles as well. Thank you!
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    TayFit07 wrote: »
    Most important thing to remember, you are your worst critic, I have had the worst self-esteem yet all my friends say they wish they had my body, look at the good things about you

Yeah I try and stay positive, but it's hard when your friends can all dress and shop as they like and you're stuck hiding in a sweatshirt and jeans :/

Don't hide! You might feel more self-conscious at first, but if you want to wear more form-fitting clothing, just wear it! It sounds to me like you've got a great body, and if you let that show and let the compliments roll in (because I guarantee just wearing stylish clothes that you like will get the compliments rolling in), you'll feel more confident. And hopefully you'll reduce the stress you have over this issue...I think I've read that, especially for women, cortisol plays a role in storing fat particularly in the lower belly. So the lower your stress levels the better all around!

But aside from trying to feel good about your body as it is, I have some pragmatic advice too. You say you're apple-shaped, so I would try eating in a slight caloric surplus (focusing on quality protein, maybe adding some fat), and doing quad/glute exercises to build up the muscles in your legs and butt. Then, regardless of whether you actually lose fat off your lower stomach, it will look smaller. I'd even say your measurements are those of an hourglass-type figure.

Hey if you're ever looking for some body-positive inspiration, you should look up some photos of Marilyn Monroe. She's got the lower stomach pouch thing going on, and she's still thought of as one of the most beautiful women of the last century. We really are our own worst critics.
  • kashmiridibber
    TayFit07 wrote: »
    Most important thing to remember, you are your worst critic, I have had the worst self-esteem yet all my friends say they wish they had my body, look at the good things about you

Yeah I try and stay positive, but it's hard when your friends can all dress and shop as they like and you're stuck hiding in a sweatshirt and jeans :/

Don't hide! You might feel more self-conscious at first, but if you want to wear more form-fitting clothing, just wear it! It sounds to me like you've got a great body, and if you let that show and let the compliments roll in (because I guarantee just wearing stylish clothes that you like will get the compliments rolling in), you'll feel more confident. And hopefully you'll reduce the stress you have over this issue...I think I've read that, especially for women, cortisol plays a role in storing fat particularly in the lower belly. So the lower your stress levels the better all around!

But aside from trying to feel good about your body as it is, I have some pragmatic advice too. You say you're apple-shaped, so I would try eating in a slight caloric surplus (focusing on quality protein, maybe adding some fat), and doing quad/glute exercises to build up the muscles in your legs and butt. Then, regardless of whether you actually lose fat off your lower stomach, it will look smaller. I'd even say your measurements are those of an hourglass-type figure.

Hey if you're ever looking for some body-positive inspiration, you should look up some photos of Marilyn Monroe. She's got the lower stomach pouch thing going on, and she's still thought of as one of the most beautiful women of the last century. We really are our own worst critics.

I have a hard time finding clothes that fit, but I appreciate your kind words :) Yes, I've been adding in more lower body exercises for that purpose. I intend on seeing some decent results by the end of the year, haha. I lead a very stressful life, and I try to counter that in my exercising by doing yoga and kickboxing. I just wish that this one thing would fix itself, it honestly would make me that much happier. It's something that I have been fighting for a long long time.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    If you have fat on your belly, you need to continue to lose weight. In order to do that, you need to use a food scale. Believe me or don't, but that's what you need to do. Food scales are easier and faster than measuring, and less dishes to wash.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    You said you track every little thing, but are you weighing all solids on a food scale and measuring all liquids? What are your stats? Will you share height, weight and age--it will make it easier for people to help you! :smile:

I'm 5'10", 150 lbs, 24 years old. I don't weigh food, most of what I eat is pre measured.

Start weighing it.

+1. Just because a package says there are 4 servings inside doesn't mean there is. Hopefully someone will come along and post the video about how much different using measuring cups and weighing can be.

OP, since what you are doing isn't working, try using a food scale. I was shocked by how many calories I was unknowingly eating by trusting package labels. You don't have to do it forever, but even doing it for a month or two will likely help you out. Good luck!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

I just loved your OP! You have a nice way with words, and your rant was very well-written!

You should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015

Start weighing it.

In both U.S. and Canada, is there an acceptable upper limit variance for the declared net weight? For example, if your declared net weight is 100 grams, can your package contain 130 grams and still be compliant? (December 2014)

In both countries, the allowable variance (both plus and minus) for the net quantity of contents statement depends on the declared weight or volume. For a package with a declared net weight of 100g, the allowable variance is +/- 7.2g for U.S. and +/- 4.5g for Canada.

In the U.S., allowable net weight tolerances are established in NIST Handbook 133, Appendix A, Table 2-5. See a previous Reader Q&A for more details on U.S. tolerances for net weight statements.

In Canada, allowable net weight tolerances are detailed in Section 38 of the Consumer Packaging & Labelling Regulations, Schedule I, Part III.

While it is generally a more serious offense to underfill a package than to overfill it, a 30g overfill for a 100g package is far outside the tolerance levels that have been established.

From http://www.foodlabels.com/q&a.htm#2014_dec

7n0wcg4567m3.png
    ldz0fehwrw4h.png
    b.png 83.8K
    a.png 24.2K
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I just used a Tablespoon for peanut butter... I guessed the amount at roughly 10g, but when I weighed it using a food scale, it was 30g!!

OP as everyone else has suggested, get a food scale :wink:
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    +1. Just because a package says there are 4 servings inside doesn't mean there is. Hopefully someone will come along and post the video about how much different using measuring cups and weighing can be.

OP, since what you are doing isn't working, try using a food scale. I was shocked by how many calories I was unknowingly eating by trusting package labels. You don't have to do it forever, but even doing it for a month or two will likely help you out. Good luck!

Agreed! As an example, the Daily Chef canned chicken I get at Sam's Club states on the label that there are 'about 5 servings' in the can. It's actually closer to 3, whether I measure it with 1/3 cup or weigh it to the grams listed.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited October 2015
    ZeroDelta wrote: »

Start weighing it.

In both U.S. and Canada, is there an acceptable upper limit variance for the declared net weight? For example, if your declared net weight is 100 grams, can your package contain 130 grams and still be compliant? (December 2014)

In both countries, the allowable variance (both plus and minus) for the net quantity of contents statement depends on the declared weight or volume. For a package with a declared net weight of 100g, the allowable variance is +/- 7.2g for U.S. and +/- 4.5g for Canada.

In the U.S., allowable net weight tolerances are established in NIST Handbook 133, Appendix A, Table 2-5. See a previous Reader Q&A for more details on U.S. tolerances for net weight statements.

In Canada, allowable net weight tolerances are detailed in Section 38 of the Consumer Packaging & Labelling Regulations, Schedule I, Part III.

While it is generally a more serious offense to underfill a package than to overfill it, a 30g overfill for a 100g package is far outside the tolerance levels that have been established.

There can be a large discrepancy for things where you eat part of the package, as in lunch meats. My lunch meats say that 4 slices (25g) is a certain number of calories, but when I weigh them, 3 slices is actually 25g, so if I ate 4 slices, I would be getting 30% more calories than I thought.
  • kashmiridibber
    Orphia wrote: »

I just loved your OP! You have a nice way with words, and your rant was very well-written!

You should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Haha I'm glad you loved my rant!