"New" Foods Discovered

Options
As you have been making your weight loss journey chances are you have discovered some foods that you had not tried before and found that you really enjoy them. What foods have you found?
Here are some of mine: Greek yogurt (had not tried it before MFP and LOVE IT!), veggie fajitas (always had to have chicken or beef before), cottage cheese and diced tomatoes mixed in a bowl (yummy), spaghetti squash, cabbage (had tried it before but love it now and discovered new recipes).

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    0% Greek yogurt. I'd never had it before at all and now I am using it very often as a snack and to fill in protein gaps.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I eat the flavored Greek 100 calories yogurts and love them, does plain Greek yogurt really taste good as a substitute for sour cream or mayonaisse? I just haven't tried that yet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Edamame and whole wheat bread (homemade) leap to mind. Also dinosaur eggs. Those have to be my favorites of my new (new to me, anyway) foods I like.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't use it in place of mayo, but it's pretty fair in place of sour cream. I still prefer sour cream, but it does add the cool, tart, and creamy that sour cream does.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't use it in place of mayo, but it's pretty fair in place of sour cream. I still prefer sour cream, but it does add the cool, tart, and creamy that sour cream does.

Agreed.

I wouldn't say it a direct substitute for (as in, spread on a sandwich), but it seems to work OK when mayo is merely an ingredient in a recipe (eg - I've swapped out 1/2 the mayo for plain greek yogurt in a potato salad recipe with good results)

I don't know that I've truly discovered any NEW foods, but I have adjusted the frequency and amounts of certain things in my diet.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    0% Greek yogurt. I'd never had it before at all and now I am using it very often as a snack and to fill in protein gaps.

Kind of the opposite for me: I used to eat the non-fat sweetened, flavored yogurt but then switched to 2% Greek yogurt and flavor it myself (either sweet or savory). The higher fat version provides protein and is filling. Yes, it's a good substitute for sour cream.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Edamame and whole wheat bread (homemade) leap to mind. Also dinosaur eggs. Those have to be my favorites of my new (new to me, anyway) foods I like.

Another of my discoveries has been Nature's Own Double Fibre Wheat Bread (I don't make bread), it is really good.
    What are dinosaur eggs?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Another of my discoveries has been Nature's Own Double Fibre Wheat Bread (I don't make bread), it is really good.
    What are dinosaur eggs?
    They're a kind of pluot. They're the only pluot I really enjoy...of the ones I've tried, anyway. :)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options

What are dinosaur eggs?
    They're a kind of pluot. They're the only pluot I really enjoy...of the ones I've tried, anyway. :)

I just googled a pluot. Now i must try one. Thanks :p
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Rambutan, hot smoked salmon (on salads), canned yellow tail in olive oil, red kuri, bison stock, bone broth
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

What are dinosaur eggs?

I love pluots (although I had tried them before losing weight, so they don't count for this for me). Never seen any called dinosaur eggs -- wonder if that's regional or if they just don't have them here.

I can't think of any truly new foods, but I've started enjoying winter squash much more (and much more often) than I used to -- I used to think of it as too much of a pain to prepare, but it's really not. I also eat a much greater variety of root vegetables more often. And I used to think I liked regular yogurt more than greek and I've come to prefer greek (which has that nice bonus of more protein, of course).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Lots of things. Most recently, chopped peppadew peppers + goat cheese = really nice spread. Also makes a good pasta 'sauce' with the addition of a little pasta water to melt it and loosen it up a bit. Creamy, sweet, tangy and a bit spicy, pretty low cal and fills me up nicely.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

What are dinosaur eggs?

lol I had to google it also
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat the flavored Greek 100 calories yogurts and love them, does plain Greek yogurt really taste good as a substitute for sour cream or mayonaisse? I just haven't tried that yet.

I can't vouch for using it as mayo, but I almost always use it as a sour cream substitute (even on Nachos). It doesn't taste exactly the same, but very very close. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options

WTHeck is a dinosaur egg and where do I get one?

My favorite 'find' was avacado. Totally delicious.

What are dinosaur eggs?

Ah. Just googled. Sounds interesting... now I must see if I can find one. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, fennel, okra, edamame, shiitake mushrooms, Kefir, Chinese five spice, tahini, chia, quinoa, black beans, pinto beans, hemp hearts, and whey protein.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This could be a long list:

Broccoli, kale, asparagus, edamame, Greek yogurt, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, olives, quinoa, black beans, steel cut oats, walnuts, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, zucchini, artichoke, tofu, shiratke noodles, steak, cottage cheese, super dark chocolate, black coffee, chickpeas, pita pockets (combined with cottage cheese as a mock white pizza), feta cheese, sweet potato, tomatoes (hated them while overweight)... Long story short, changing my diet turned me into an "adventurous eater" (compared to the rest of my family) and a food snob.

I tried tilapia last night (my mother isn't much of a seafood person, so I haven't had it growing up). I never knew something could taste so amazing and could become so versatile.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i really did not like a lot of non regular type foods in the past but, after ridding of my extreme added sugar addiction, i suddendly have different tastebuds!
    i did not but, now eat dried fruits/seeds/edamame stuff.
    like two granola types of cereals now,
    shockingly i even like a greek yogurt even though the fage plain nonfat greek yogurt looks like cottage cheese to me,
    goya black beans with fresh mild salsa mix is a regular food now even though i disliked both beforehand,
    and hmmm to my surprise i actually like green smoothies too, something i would not even drink even if i was really thirsty beforehand..

edamame and quinoa are foods that i discovered during my weight loss/lifestyle change that i never heard of or tried before, love both of them...there are so many ways to use both that i doubt i will ever tire of them..

gotta go look up what the pluots dinosaur eggs mentioned above are now!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Well done @abatonfan , it is nice to see someone being so adventurous with their food.

Cheers, h.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    As you have been making your weight loss journey chances are you have discovered some foods that you had not tried before and found that you really enjoy them. What foods have you found?
    Here are some of mine: Greek yogurt (had not tried it before MFP and LOVE IT!), veggie fajitas (always had to have chicken or beef before), cottage cheese and diced tomatoes mixed in a bowl (yummy), spaghetti squash, cabbage (had tried it before but love it now and discovered new recipes).

Cottage cheese, it looks gross so I've never tried it. Someone in the MFP posted how yummy cottage cheese and grapes are. I tried it myself and got hooked. YesterdayI tried cottage cheese with a tablespoon of grape jelly as someone else suggested in the forums, yum!!!