Article by Dr. Jason Fung - interesting point of view & research

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/thoughts-on-the-pritikin-diet/
Definitely "food" for thought - a very interesting article.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    gerrielips wrote: »

"interesting" ... as in good for a chuckle or two?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    I made it to the third paragraph and saw the word "Magic'
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    Copyright ©2014 Intensive Dietary Management. LEGAL NOTICE: The contents of this website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained here (the “Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The Content is not suitable for self-administration without regular monitoring by a qualified medical doctor in a supervised program. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in our Content. If you think you may have a medical emergency or other health issues, call your doctor or 911 immediately. We do not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, self-administration of our program or modifications to it. Reliance on any information provided through our website, its employees or others appearing on the website at the invitation of Dr. Jason Fung, is solely at your own risk. Dr. Fung and his affiliates cannot assume any professional liability for any person who does not attend at his clinic for proper training and supervision. Not all aspects of the program are necessarily disclosed on this website. Self-administration of the information contained in the Content may result in serious physical impairment or death in some cases.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member

Yes, definitely yes.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Another crackpot for the file. I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I got to the part about "the deadly effects of fructose". I also noticed Taubes and Lustig mentioned by his minions in the comments section. LOL.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Knew by posting this I 'd get other points of view which is important to me.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member

Very interesting article. No one above addressed the overriding concept of the article - just took potshots. OK.

For me, avoiding large quantities of foods that provoke the body's insulin production has made a significant difference in how I feel every day and has helped easily limit calories with steady weight loss as a result.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Yes this was a good article, it was good for a great laugh !
    This is likely the most laughable thing I've read this week !
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    I'm disappointed that no one here wants to talk about the *ideas* in the article, specifically the effects of insulin response on weight, and how diet effects that.
    Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe in CICO, but what I hoped some more educated minds than mine would contribute some thoughts to the idea of low-insulin-response diets and the effects hormones can have on weight and weight loss.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I'm disappointed that no one here wants to talk about the *ideas* in the article, specifically the effects of insulin response on weight, and how diet effects that.
    Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe in CICO, but what I hoped some more educated minds than mine would contribute some thoughts to the idea of low-insulin-response diets and the effects hormones can have on weight and weight loss.

I have read it twice. The "ideas" of the post are all over the place / confusing -- in part because it is referring to earlier posts. The mentions of both fructose and glycemic index/ load were off-putting for me because both are bogus concerns, although the first is more bogus than the other I had to keep reading to find something helpful. If the (and I am not sure ) point is that the insulin repose matters, most can get behind that. In practical application, that varies from person to person and no one refutes it.
    The action of insulin is much more important and complicated than the post describes. The simple version -- that insulin is related to weight gain and weight loss -- that is true. Do remember that insulin is a good hormone. :) We need it.
  • umayster

I've had personal success with very low carb, high fat for solving weight and health issues. I've witnessed others success with low fat, high carb. This article helps me find the common thread between some radically different strategies towards nutritional success.

The toxicity lies in the processing, not the macronutrient composition.

Addressing metabolic issues of health and weight can be assisted by choosing diet composed of foods in or very close to natural form.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I've seen people have success outside of the parameters he outlined in the article, and his dismissal of CICO is what makes it laughable.

Hormones? Secondary to CICO. Majoring in the minors. That's all the article was.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    "For example, this diet could help reduce prostate cancer, reduce insulin and medication usage for type 2 diabetes, reduce LDL oxidation, reduce breast cancer, reduce colon cancer, reduce heart disease, and improve cardiac risk factors."

Wow, you mean all the same things that simply not being obese can do?
  • rankinsect
    edited October 2015

I think the main effect of hormones comes into play not during weight loss, but during weight maintenance or unregulated diet. For example, say you ate a 50 calorie surplus - very easy to do since both calories in and calories out have a margin of error. Hormones are primarily responsible for what happens to that surplus. In some people, thermogenesis or fidgeting increases a small amount, your body wastes the extra energy as heat, and no new fat is created. In others, this surplus becomes new fat.

Hormones have an even bigger role in uncontrolled diets, where changes to appetite and satiety can cause significant deficits or surpluses. Hormones were of course the driving cause behind a lot of our obesity. That's the point of CICO - since hormone control of our intake was ineffective, we replace that with an intellectual control of our intake. That's why I think hormones are less important on a tightly calorie regulated diet, because hormones are no longer the driving force behind our intake.

The good news is that in most cases, weight loss and exercise can help normalize the body's hormones, independent of which diet was used to get there.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    umayster wrote: »

I've had personal success with very low carb, high fat for solving weight and health issues. I've witnessed others success with low fat, high carb. This article helps me find the common thread between some radically different strategies towards nutritional success.

Addressing metabolic issues of health and weight can be assisted by choosing diet composed of foods in or very close to natural form.
    How does one even try to address overriding concepts like the bolded, then? It's an article of faith, not logic, reason, or empiricism.
  • umayster
    rankinsect wrote: »
    "For example, this diet could help reduce prostate cancer, reduce insulin and medication usage for type 2 diabetes, reduce LDL oxidation, reduce breast cancer, reduce colon cancer, reduce heart disease, and improve cardiac risk factors."

Those would depend on genetics and diet that are present in the non-obese person. Metabolic issues listed also exist in non obese folks at a lower percentage.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect wrote: »

Those would depend on genetics and diet that are present in the non-obese person. Metabolic issues listed also exist in non obese folks at a lower percentage.

On an individual level, sure, there's tons of variability, but on a population level, like what is used to determine the benefits of this (or any) diet, those are also the benefits of all weight loss in general. Simply losing weight lowers your risk of all of the above - now of course as one individual you could still get any of them even if you're thin.
  • umayster

How does one even try to address overriding concepts like the bolded, then? It's an article of faith, not logic, reason, or empiricism.

Do you mean 'address' in the practical sense? Like food choices?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

I mean "address" the actual truth of the statement. Like what kind of food processing -- other than adding actual toxins -- introduces toxicity to food?

• umayster

I mean "address" the actual truth of the statement. Like what kind of food processing -- other than adding actual toxins -- introduces toxicity to food?

Got it, I've been trying to define my choices and beliefs on healthy food choices - with great difficulty. There isn't a great single term or rigid category, but I just read a term someone used - 'fractionated' - which seems to define foods I'm more careful about eating or even avoid entirely.

It isn't really about added toxins, but being careful about eating isolated parts of foods which affect a body differently than when the food is eaten in its whole state. There isn't a definition or word, but eating things in close to their natural state or whole form is probably the best simplistic description. I don't really like that description though as it makes me think of some crazy stupid food choices and I'm not really about eating to an extreme theme.

Back to the point - it isn't really macro composition that dictates healthy diet - many different sets of macros work. But if you want to eat high carb and all your carbs are simple ones, you are gonna have a bad time of it eventually!