Food sensitivity testing--ALCAT

Options
I just sent off a blood sample for ALCAT food sensitivity testing.
Have you done this? What did you think of it? Thanks!

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have not done it but it seems like it could be useful!

What made you decide to get this done? What are you hoping to find out from others on mfp?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have done food allergy testing; it was all negative. Yet I seem to react to foods (digestion not quite happy) particularly wheat. If I'm sensitive to some foods, I can avoid them, follow their rotation plan for foods and overcome the sensitivity. A higher quality of life.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Very good article. OP, I wish you luck in your journey to feel better. I understand how hard it is to deal with chronic digestive issues (IBS, celiac). But maybe take the results you get with a grain of salt.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Food allergy testing in itself has no diagnostic purposes without a medically interpreted clinical history of allergy

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I never did a food blood test. Many years ago, I had a series of scratch tests and there was literally not a single thing that didn't show up as me being allergic to it. The test was wrong. The test was dumb. I never wanted it and didn't change a single thing after getting the results. Bread! It said I was allergic to bread, which I ate every single day of my life with nary a problem.

I know what I can't eat based on the fact that it makes my mouth and throat itch or makes me sick or whatever. I didn't eat those things before the test or after, lol. It changed nothing. All it did was make my back itch like crazy every Thursday for five or six weeks, then make me sleepy because I'd get a shot and a pill that made me sleepy, to offset the itchiness and hives on my back.

I'm am confident that the tests they do today have to be more accurate than those scratch tests were!!

I hope you get your answers. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My digestive issues didn't turn out to be an allergy, but I can relate to the desire to solve the issues causing you issues. I hope it leads to something you can use to improve things for you. Good luck, update is if you can.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    Okay, I'll update!
    Test results were a big surprise to me.
    I tested the largest profile, which included foods, herbs/spices, supplements, molds, and medications.
    Reactions are considered intolerances and are rated as Severe, Moderate or Mild
    Of the foods tested, I had NO severe intolerances. Only 4 moderate, and 24 mild intolerances.
    I thought I would be intolerant to wheat/gluten. Nope! I'm only reacting to millet! It's in multi-grain foods.
    I thought I would be intolerant to milk/whey. I'm not!
    Many foods that I eat continually I am not intolerant of. But of those 28 that I don't tolerate, I'm eating a lot of those! It's no wonder I am often sort of uncomfortable in my gut.
    I'll take the next few days to weed those out of my diet and supplements....I'm supposed to avoid them completely for 3-6months. I can then re-introduce those items (Or re-take test, which was expensive).
    My practitioner also suggested glutamine to heal the gut lining.
    She also said I was the first person she tested who was not reacting to gluten and dairy!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    Update.
    I've stayed off the un-tolerated foods for the last week and a half. I really did not know if it would make a difference or not, but I have a peaceful gut and no elimination issues now.
    Wow.
    Like, how would I guess that I'm intolerant to something like olive oil??? or black tea??? Or green-leaf lettuce??? Or nutmeg? I would not have guessed these things. No wonder I was confused as to what I was reacting to.
    I'm really glad I took the test. It's worth it so far.
    The plan is to avoid these un-tolerated foods for 3-6 months, then add them one at a time to see if I'm okay with them.
    I can also take a supplement called L-glutamine to help heal the gut lining, so it's not irritated. I might try that too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    Yay for peaceful gut! Thanks for the update.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    Thank-you!
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @Luvee_Dove5 I followed your link from another post onto here.

How do you take this test? Can it be done at Drs office?
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, did you cut back on bread and dairy prior to sending in the sample?
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else had this alcaf testing? I think it might be good for my daughter, I will check with the dr. and see what they think about it. I am glad the results you found are really helping you and you're feeling better.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else had this alcaf testing? I think it might be good for my daughter, I will check with the dr. and see what they think about it. I am glad the results you found are really helping you and you're feeling better.

Wondering this also
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    @Luvee_Dove5 I followed your link from another post onto here.

How do you take this test? Can it be done at Drs office?

You can contact ALCAT to find a provider, or you can have a kit sent to you (you'll have your blood drawn and send the kit back to ALCAT for testing and the results sent to you).
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, did you cut back on bread and dairy prior to sending in the sample?

I only stopped all supplements several days prior to collecting the blood sample. I was eating dairy prior to the test, and also eating sourdough bread and tortillas.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I'm not buying into it. Here's why:

The test is not supported by research and is not considered to be a reliable medical diagnostic tool; since it has not been appropriately validated it is not a suitable guide for therapeutic decisions.[1][2][3][4][5][6] In a position statement, the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy classified the ALCAT with other forms of cytotoxic tests as inappropriate tests, saying of them

"These results have been shown to not be reproducible, give different results when duplicate samples are analysed blindly, don't correlate with those from conventional testing, and 'diagnose' food hypersensitivity in subjects with conditions where food allergy is not considered to play a pathogenic role."[7]

I actually have food allergies. I don't need a blood test to tell me I am allergic to eggs. Anaphylaxis does that for me as does hives. I'm really wary of a test like this since there's no real medical evidence that it's legit.

Maybe you should see a GI doctor instead if you're having digestive issues related to certain foods.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    @realityfades NOTE that this test does NOT test allergies. In fact, this post is not about food allergies.
    Since I've eliminated the foods indicated, my digestion has normalized. I'm pretty happy with that!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, you have have mild intolerances that never bother you. According to allergy testing, my sister is allergic to shrimp and maple leaves or something like that. But she eats shrimp and it's never given her an issue.

That said, I'm glad you have your issues sorted out but I wouldn't take something with no real scientific evidence as fact. If I was having digestive issues, I'd see a GI doc first.