Food sensitivity testing--ALCAT

Options
2»

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    @realityfades Since you want to talk about allergy testing, why don't you start a thread?
    Lab results are scientific enough for me.
    I didn't start this thread so someone could tell me to see a GI doctor.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately a GI isn't always helpful with identifying digestive sensitivities. Always important to see GI first to rule out what they can, but the rest is up to us to figure out.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately a GI isn't always helpful with identifying digestive sensitivities. Always important to see GI first to rule out what they can, but the rest is up to us to figure out.

True, but it should be the first step since the GI doc can test for Celiac, h. pylori bacteria, do scopes, etc.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I wanted to talk about allergies a little bit , because you may find it helpful. An allergy is simply an immune (igE) response to protein. I'm oversimplifying, but trying to help you understand. There are many reasons an individual will have symptoms, but test negative. For example, when we make allergy extract we target a specific protein, in cat hair it's fel d1. However there are more fel d proteins that an individual can be allergic to. This means while we target the most common protein, there is a percentage of the population who falls outside of this target. In a allergist office they will typically test with the extract made from primary protein. Many Allergists will typically recommend a food log, we offer logs for 14 days, so that they can get an idea of what your body is doing. Additionally many offices keep the actual food itself to do a food challenge, because it is commonly understood that people will react to a food, and not react to a scratch or RAST test.

Now, all of that being said the AAAAI does not recommend treating food allergies with immunotherapy. Food allergies are different from environmental/inhalant/pollen/insect/etc, because they can be avoided. Essentially the diagnostic testing is a screening tool, so you know which food to avoid. Now if you were having symptoms aligned with typical igE response; breathing problems, swelling, hives...knowing the allergen could be a life or death scenario. Essentially the purpose of these tolerance tests is to determine the same thing, a food reaction that is not captured by the typical proteins, whether it's igE or not. The end result is likely to be the same, eliminating the food from your diet.

I don't know the validity of these types of tests you have taken, as they are not as closely studied and controlled as allergy testing. My only real concern would be eliminating a food that wasn't harmful, or paying large amounts of money for tests that don't help you. If eliminating the food helps, then eliminate it within reason.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    I wanted to talk about allergies a little bit , because you may find it helpful. An allergy is simply an immune (igE) response to protein. I'm oversimplifying, but trying to help you understand. There are many reasons an individual will have symptoms, but test negative. For example, when we make allergy extract we target a specific protein, in cat hair it's fel d1. However there are more fel d proteins that an individual can be allergic to. This means while we target the most common protein, there is a percentage of the population who falls outside of this target. In a allergist office they will typically test with the extract made from primary protein. Many Allergists will typically recommend a food log, we offer logs for 14 days, so that they can get an idea of what your body is doing. Additionally many offices keep the actual food itself to do a food challenge, because it is commonly understood that people will react to a food, and not react to a scratch or RAST test.

Now, all of that being said the AAAAI does not recommend treating food allergies with immunotherapy. Food allergies are different from environmental/inhalant/pollen/insect/etc, because they can be avoided. Essentially the diagnostic testing is a screening tool, so you know which food to avoid. Now if you were having symptoms aligned with typical igE response; breathing problems, swelling, hives...knowing the allergen could be a life or death scenario. Essentially the purpose of these tolerance tests is to determine the same thing, a food reaction that is not captured by the typical proteins, whether it's igE or not. The end result is likely to be the same, eliminating the food from your diet.

I don't know the validity of these types of tests you have taken, as they are not as closely studied and controlled as allergy testing. My only real concern would be eliminating a food that wasn't harmful, or paying large amounts of money for tests that don't help you. If eliminating the food helps, then eliminate it within reason.

That's an interesting perspective. I am allergic to both egg whites and egg yolks. As in full blown anaphylaxis. Swollen eyes, swollen lips, swollen airway, head to toe hives, I've had it since I was born. Like you said, the only way to control it is to avoid it completely and carry an epi pen just in case if you're like me.

Funnily enough, some allergies came on as an adult. I am now allergic to all sulfa antibiotics despite taking them for over half my life with no issues. One day I broke out in head to toe hives and the doctor told me I was indeed allergic to the abx.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    @realityfades and @lyttlewon Since YOU want to talk allergies, so go start your own thread and talk about it, Since you like to copy/paste allergy answers. This thread is for those who want to discuss ALCAT or similar, for the testing of food sensitivities, and they do NOT test food allergies. Thank-you!
  • RalphtheWeber
    RalphtheWeber Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've never done ALCAT but it did go to allergists. I am across th the board with food allergies. I do my best with watching what I eat. Sometimes have some issues do to not all the ingredients are listed. But I wish you luck. An allergist and a nutritionist have you done or tried both? Sometimes finding out what's going on at the blood level can answer some things. Again, I wish you luck.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. The other option? Try an elimination diet which takes a few months and seriously disrupts your life....
  • RalphtheWeber
    RalphtheWeber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am going to look up your test though I want to better understand this.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    edited November 2015
    Options
    T0tem2o09 wrote: »
    I've never done ALCAT but it did go to allergists. I am across th the board with food allergies. I do my best with watching what I eat. Sometimes have some issues do to not all the ingredients are listed. But I wish you luck. An allergist and a nutritionist have you done or tried both? Sometimes finding out what's going on at the blood level can answer some things. Again, I wish you luck.

Thanks! If you look above at my previous posts, you will see that I have updated this thread with the results I've had so far from the Food Sensitivity testing, and applying what I learned.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    @rainbowbow I agree, serious disruption to try to figure this out without actual lab testing! In fact, it seemed nearly impossible and impractical. So after much deliberation I decided to buy this test.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @realityfades and @lyttlewon Since YOU want to talk allergies, so go start your own thread and talk about it, Since you like to copy/paste allergy answers. This thread is for those who want to discuss ALCAT or similar, for the testing of food sensitivities, and they do NOT test food allergies. Thank-you!

I really don't want to talk about allergies. You started a thread about a food intolerance test with no known scientific validity, so I gave you information on how to achieve the exact same results in a scientific manner. It's a public forum, I can post whatever I want.

Edited to add: The ALCAT test is attempting to test immune reactions to foods, which is what an allergy is. This is why I'm talking about the actual science behind allergies.