Splenda?

Options
13»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I am still torn on the topic.

I trust foods in their most unprocessed form rather than a chemistry project that we add to our food.

That said, I am still using Splenda daily but am not 100% comfortable with the concept.

I do think it possible that there could be long term effects so I wouldn't say confidently that it is harmful OR harmless.

Unprocessed foods are also chemistry projects. Literally everything you eat is chemistry.

Ahhh yes. The old "This is what an apple is made of" response. I'm pretty sure people understand what @lalalalalaurie means.

Understanding what it means doesn't make it have any sense to it.
    Nature does a piss poor job at being kind to us, if anything I'd be rather inclined to think natural things are out to kill us than things made by people for people.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I use splenda from time to time.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bkhhCi7nMFI
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Understanding what it means doesn't make it have any sense to it.
    Nature does a piss poor job at being kind to us, if anything I'd be rather inclined to think natural things are out to kill us than things made by people for people.
    I give you amanita phalloides, the "killer mushroom" as exhibit #1. Eating just one cap of a. phalloides will kill a human being. Cherry, apricot, plum and peach pits contain cyanide, as do pear and apple seeds. Rhubarb contains oxalic acid. Eating fugu (blowfish) can be deadly, until man intervenes and "processes" it by removing the poison sac. And so on.

Eating "what nature makes" isn't always what it appears (as in peter56765's example about apple trees above), and nature has plenty of versions of its own "toxins". Certainly nothing at all wrong with including fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. into one's diet, but there's nothing magical about an "all natural" diet.
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »
    I use honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar. Never been a big fan of artificial sweeteners, not even the supposedly healthy one, stevia.

Stevia tastes bad to me in most cases. I have had a few brands that are a bit better tasting, but I don't know what to think of it. It's processed and doesn't have any approval process.

I also use coconut sugar, it just doesn't taste the same as sugar though, but it can be fitting for some foods.

Yeah stevia tastes funny, kind of burns my throat when in coffee or hot chocolate. I try and avoid all these new ' amazing ' foods the industry comes up with. I agree about coconut sugar, I don't find it sweet enough and no its not the same for sure, its better to bake with- I only get it when its on sale. The tastiest is pure maple syrup but that's dangerous, love the taste, I could drink it ha. So my preferred choice is honey, especially manuka honey. Also great for skin :)