Anyone else have withdrawals?

I have been tracking about a week. Although I do not know what detox is like I can say that I have been going through some serious withdrawals. I am about 80lbs over weight and I always ate large quantities without a lot of thought about calories or carbs. I tried many diets they all work really if I follow them my trouble is sustaining. This time I have been going through some difficult withdrawal symptoms.
My meals and snacks have been well planned and balanced so it's not like I'm doing anything crazy.
I have hangry moments daily, mood swings, night sweats, skin crawling when I try to sleep, and the craziest thing is severe back pain which I don't understand?
Anyone else have any of these when they began?
A

Replies

• bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    Most Americans eat a diet loaded with sugar and carbs. Did you do the same? Your body is going to rebel because it's used to eating a certain way for years. If you're having sugar cravings try to keep some really dark chocolate nearby. I have a Nutribullet so I make deserts that are 100% natural, but also help with cravings.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Sounds awful :s
  • You won't like me when I'm HANGRY! I'm like Incredible Bulk. :D
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I can't say that I have ever experienced anything like that at all. Well, a little hangry now and then but that's normal, not "withdrawal."
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Arlenehaze wrote: »
    I have been tracking about a week. Although I do not know what detox is like I can say that I have been going through some serious withdrawals. I am about 80lbs over weight and I always ate large quantities without a lot of thought about calories or carbs. I tried many diets they all work really if I follow them my trouble is sustaining. This time I have been going through some difficult withdrawal symptoms.
    My meals and snacks have been well planned and balanced so it's not like I'm doing anything crazy.
    I have hangry moments daily, mood swings, night sweats, skin crawling when I try to sleep, and the craziest thing is severe back pain which I don't understand?
    A

I have not.

There is no reason to detox, because your body naturally does so all by itself.

Carbs are a macro, there is nothing wrong with them at all, just as fat and protein are macros. Balance is key.

Why do you say what you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms? Withdrawal from what?

With experiencing those symptoms, especially the back pain, you need to pay a visit to your doctor. Those are not normal symptoms when going on a diet.

The symptoms sound like perhaps you are not eating enough, except for the back pain--that is a concern.

Yep, please make a doctor's visit. You could have an underlying condition you are not aware of.

Good luck! :)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    A

Hangry moments? Sure. Night sweats, skin crawling, and severe back pain? No. You might want to talk to your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    bmaw01 wrote: »
    Most Americans eat a diet loaded with sugar and carbs. Did you do the same? Your body is going to rebel because it's used to eating a certain way for years. If you're having sugar cravings try to keep some really dark chocolate nearby. I have a Nutribullet so I make deserts that are 100% natural, but also help with cravings.

This is a derail, because the OP did not specifically say sugar.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    I did have sugar and caffeine withdraws at first. I found fruits and tea have helped me make it through until my body no longer craved or felt like it needed it. Food addiction is a real thing. Just like any addiction you will have some sort of withdraws. I had migraines, hunger, nigh sweats. Doctors are great at helping you pass these as well. My doctor suggested me drinking the tea with artificial sweetener and reducing the sweetener each week.
  • SLLRunner
    I did have sugar and caffeine withdraws at first. I found fruits and tea have helped me make it through until my body no longer craved or felt like it needed it. Food addiction is a real thing. Just like any addiction you will have some sort of withdraws. I had migraines, hunger, nigh sweats. Doctors are great at helping you pass these as well. My doctor suggested me drinking the tea with artificial sweetener and reducing the sweetener each week.

Food addiction?

The OP likely has an underlying medical issue or she/he is not eating enough to be healthy.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Food addiction?

The OP likely has an underlying medical issue or she/he is not eating enough to be healthy.

+1
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015

No, none of that, and I cut out all added sugar when I first started as well as grains (I was doing a paleo thing, although I don't think that's necessary and am not doing it now). I was eating mostly meat and veg, with some potatoes and sweet potatoes and nuts and the like.

If you are continuing to feel hungry or hangry and have mood swings you think are diet related, it's likely that you aren't eating in a way that works for you now -- did you cut calories too low? Can you track when you feel this way and maybe adjust eating times or macros/volume as needed? Another thing is habit -- I found that I tended to feel like eating at times I was used to eating (especially if I was doing it for stress relief), and that I had to be self-reflective about this and remind myself I wasn't really hungry and would be eating in a few hours and maybe come up with other ways to manage feelings. That went away after about a week, although allowing myself to eat raw vegetables until I was out of the habit of snacking helped.

Night sweats and the skin crawling and back pain are things I'd talk to your doctor about. Among other things, some of this could be related to perimenopause, not diet. The back pain could be an unrelated injury or physical thing -- backs can be weird.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I experinced food "withdrawal" like symptoms that lasted a week or so when I went gluten free, and again when I went low carb. It wasn't pleasant. Migraines, fatigue, crankiness, and generally feeling poorly. I felt better overall once it was done.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    No, I never experience withdrawals. You sound fluish, to be honest. I think you should see your doctor.

Food addiction is a contentious topic. It was covered in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

It might be helpful, since the topic of food addiction would derail this thread, to bring further discussion about it here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109547-hot-topics