The excuses we tell ourselves, and others

Options

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    MENOPAUSE

It's soooo hard-
    nope your BMR is declining at the same rate it has since you we're in your 20's.
    move some weight- it will help you retain a higher BMR as you age.
    CICO works just the same, just be aware of what your hormones are doing to your appetite and work through it.

Cheers, h.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I'll start tomorrow... for real.

Ha! That's what I told myself on Saturday (I actually did pretty good yesterday).

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MENOPAUSE

It's soooo hard-
    nope your BMR is declining at the same rate it has since you we're in your 20's.
    move some weight- it will help you retain a higher BMR as you age.
    CICO works just the same, just be aware of what your hormones are doing to your appetite and work through it.

Cheers, h.

@middlehaitch
    Your experience and wisdom could help here too...http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274406/any-45-females-succeeding-at-losing-weight-pre-menopause#latest
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've had a long day so I'll enjoy a glass or two of wine - one bottle later and 500 cal, oops I'll burn that off with cardio or just eat less tomorrow. Result 6 kg and a muffin top :( solution find better stress release in gym lifting weights.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I gave birth to 6 kids I will never be skinny again.... Then I see skinny people who had 6 kids lol
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I know this one can be controversial, but I'll throw it out there since you asked. It was the most dominant one for me for far too many years.

"But saying I need to change means something is wrong with me. Saying I need to lose weight means I'm not good enough the way I am. I'm an attractive, happy and confident girl. I shouldn't need to change to please society."

This turned into embracing my larger size and carefree (eating) attitude as proof of my self-confidence. I was so wrong. I was so caught up in trying to place the blame on society's expectations, that I didn't see the health risks I was taking on.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm so tall the extra weight doesn't show much.

OK, for a long time, maybe it didn't. Then it did.

ME!
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    "I'll just eat better tomorrow"

I'm guilty of thinking that a lot. Luckily these days I have it far more under control than I used to.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    -- I will start tomorrow, but today I'm gonna eat a ton of junk food that I DEFINITELY WILL NOT be eating anymore. Y'know, cause I'm starting my diet. *repeat a million times*

-- well okay, I'm a little overweight...but I'm in a lot better shape than all these skinny girls in class getting out of breath so fast, so it must be alright.

-- I'm too tired/don't have time/have to get up too early to go to the gym.

And the biggest one...

-- I'm happy with how I am. (Translation: I've resigned myself to the fact that I will always be a gelatinous sack of crap).
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I was moderately thin (120 - 125 lbs) for many years, then had kids, got a desk job, and started commuting to work. The weight piled on and then stuck at 195 lb for a long time. I told myself, this must be my body's new set point; it just doesn't want to be 120 lbs. anymore. I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm a mom now; I just have a mom body. It wasn't until I stepped on a scale one day and was over 200 lb. that I was finally jolted into doing something about my weight.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I know this one can be controversial, but I'll throw it out there since you asked. It was the most dominant one for me for far too many years.

"But saying I need to change means something is wrong with me. Saying I need to lose weight means I'm not good enough the way I am. I'm an attractive, happy and confident girl. I shouldn't need to change to please society."

This turned into embracing my larger size and carefree (eating) attitude as proof of my self-confidence. I was so wrong. I was so caught up in trying to place the blame on society's expectations, that I didn't see the health risks I was taking on.

Yes! This reflects my love/hate relationship with the whole "real women have curves" campaign.

I remember back when I had gotten too big for the "normal" size clothes in most major department stores. I started shopping at Lane Bryant where suddenly I was the smallest size in the store. It made me feel more comfortable being overweight because I lost that anxiety of not being able to find fashionable clothes that fit. I became that carefree Lane Bryant catalog girl who embraced her size and looked great.

While part of me will always be thankful for stores like Lane Bryant that help plus size women feel better about themselves, I'm so glad that I made the decision not to be one of them anymore. Not because I hated the way I looked or because I felt pressure from society, but because I had the will and determination to make a healthy change for myself. There has to be some balance between accepting your body the way it is while recognizing that you have the power to make changes for the better.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "Losing weight sucks and I'd rather be fat than miserable"

It was a two edged excuse too, because i was already miserable and losing weight is only miserable if you make it that way.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think mine as an excuse because I was only 46 kg for years and years prior to my weight gain, I was even too skinny. I see it as a reason. My pills that made me sooo hungry all the time and my doctor saying there is no way we can stop that side affect that I need the pills which made me fat (I would order pizza at 2am in the morning Every Single Day and eat it with chips because the pills made me out of control.) I quit the pills, now I eat less than an average person and I am happy with it. Rarely I binge, but I think everyone does that once in a while. I already lost 12.5 kg at total, and I am continuing to lose.

I think thinking your reasons as excuses is a self-blame and doesn't cause good results especially if you don't concentrate on solving the problem and instead think of it as a lack of commitment.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1) it's not fat, it's contentment. I was slim when I was single and gained once I was in a relationship
    2) I'm in an unhappy job. Once I change that I'll sort it out then. I changed job and was happier and still put on weight.
    3) I love food and cooking. I had to realise I can still love and enjoy cooking and eating while losing weight.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Yes! This reflects my love/hate relationship with the whole "real women have curves" campaign.

I remember back when I had gotten too big for the "normal" size clothes in most major department stores. I started shopping at Lane Bryant where suddenly I was the smallest size in the store. It made me feel more comfortable being overweight because I lost that anxiety of not being able to find fashionable clothes that fit. I became that carefree Lane Bryant catalog girl who embraced her size and looked great.

While part of me will always be thankful for stores like Lane Bryant that help plus size women feel better about themselves, I'm so glad that I made the decision not to be one of them anymore. Not because I hated the way I looked or because I felt pressure from society, but because I had the will and determination to make a healthy change for myself. There has to be some balance between accepting your body the way it is while recognizing that you have the power to make changes for the better.

This is a great quote.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "I'm depressed"
    "I'm tired"
    "I'm anxious".
    "I'm on my period (PMDD)"
    "I have fibromyalgia, I can't"
    "I can't do it".
    "I hate myself".
    "I deserve it"
    "I'm upset"
    "Too busy"
    "I don't have the time...I have pets to take care of"

Working out helps with all of those...
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

There has to be some balance between accepting your body the way it is while recognizing that you have the power to make changes for the better.

I have the same mixed feelings about these types of campaigns. Thus I lead with saying it can be a bit a bit controversial. I think that this body-beautiful movement is a tricky one. We need to be careful to value ourselves in spite of our body, without confusing it for valuing ourselves FOR our body.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Variations of reasons why it's all his fault.

Yup this always
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I need someone to motivate me?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "This food tastes too damned good and I don't care right now..."

Not an excuse, per se, but my reason every time.

Every. Time.