Why is sleep so important for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I don't know anything really about how lack of sleep might impact any biological processes which could affect weight loss, but I do know that for me at least, if I'm tired, I'm more likely to want to eat sweet calorific things and to not resist temptations.

Agreed. Plus I lose my motivation for working out.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    scyian wrote: »
    Cortisol the stress hormone increases when we don't sleep properly. Imagine you have a stress bucket and each night while you sleep you brain processes and empties it. If you're not sleeping you're not dealing with the stress.

Dont you think that is different for each person?

I am not a really stressed person at all lol
    And i seem to lose weight just fine
    With my couple of hours sleep at night.

95069916.png
    I do think that sleep requirements differ from person to person. However I also think you may be a bit of an anomaly. Most people can't get only 3 hours of solid sleep a night and function well during the day.

When I am suffering from insomnia the next day I generally feel awful. I wouldn't be surprised if I ate more those days as an attempt to keep my energy levels up.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have actually weighed myself at a bathroom run and then later when I've had more sleep. I definitely saw the scale drop down, so nevermind the behavioral stuff.......we do lose while sleeping.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true. Sleep is when the regulation of ghrelin & leptin occurs... Google it. Too little sleep messes with this. But to be fair, some folks just naturally do fine on as little as 6 hours. It's definitely a sleep 'window.'
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well seems i am special than.

I hardly sleep ( it is more resting)
    Normal sleeping pattern for me is 3 hours of solid sleep the rest light or awake
    For years and years

And i lose weight just fine.

However i do believe the fact you have to rest your body ( think of muscle repair).
    So i force myself for 8 hours in bed....sleeping reading watching tv I go to bed at 12 stand up at 8 every day. But falling asleep can be at 4 or even later lol

And gaining weight from not sleeping is woo...big time... Were do those calories come from?

If that was true than sleeping means losing weight.... that would be a great solution for the overweight problem.

No sleep doesn't impact according to me, rest however yes.
    Think of the repair and rest the body needs, and when you are tired your willpower and hunger get for a lot of people worse.

So again i lost weight just fine with my not sleeping pattern.

[img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/9506/9916/95 ;) 069916.png[/img]
    Sleeping does mean losing weight. That's why most people will weight less in the morning than before they go to bed if they weighed in. One can't eat while sleeping...................unless they're sleep eating. ;)
    Also, lack of sleep is linked to cardiovascular disease as well as some other chronic issues.

http://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/chronic_disease.htm

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Normal sleeping pattern for me is 3 hours of solid sleep the rest light or awake
    For years and years

However i do believe the fact you have to rest your body ( think of muscle repair).
    So i force myself for 8 hours in bed....sleeping reading watching tv I go to bed at 12 stand up at 8 every day. But falling asleep can be at 4 or even later lol

And gaining weight from not sleeping is woo...big time... Were do those calories come from?

If that was true than sleeping means losing weight.... that would be a great solution for the overweight problem.

Think of the repair and rest the body needs, and when you are tired your willpower and hunger get for a lot of people worse.

[img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/9506/9916/95 ;) 069916.png[/img]
    Sleeping does mean losing weight. That's why most people will weight less in the morning than before they go to bed if they weighed in. One can't eat while sleeping...................unless they're sleep eating. ;)
    Also, lack of sleep is linked to cardiovascular disease as well as some other chronic issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I know that lol it was meant as a joke.

But my point is that everybody is different.

I seems to need less sleep than others. Still my weight loss is fine.
    Also in my medical check ups nothing out of the ordinary.

I have been tested several times and i just have a very short REM and seems to do good with it. Not tired not stressed etc. And yes ones in a while i just sleep a whole 8 hours But that is maybe ones a month or so. Or when there is something special like a longggg day out with lots of activities etc.

So what i am trying to say is when people can not sleep and have a problem with that yes than you have a real problem indeed.

For me it is not even i can not sleep
    I go to bed and relax. Read a bit watch tv whatever... i am not going to toss and turn for hours till i fall asleep. And i am fine. And this is as long as i can remember even when i was young i can remember that my parents went to bed at midnight and i was still awake.

So everybody is different. I need less sleep

95069916.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

For years and years

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I know that lol it was meant as a joke.

But my point is that everybody is different.

I seems to need less sleep than others. Still my weight loss is fine.
    Also in my medical check ups nothing out of the ordinary.

I have been tested several times and i just have a very short REM and seems to do good with it. Not tired not stressed etc. And yes ones in a while i just sleep a whole 8 hours But that is maybe ones a month or so. Or when there is something special like a longggg day out with lots of activities etc.

So what i am trying to say is when people can not sleep and have a problem with that yes than you have a real problem indeed.

For me it is not even i can not sleep
    I go to bed and relax. Read a bit watch tv whatever... i am not going to toss and turn for hours till i fall asleep. And i am fine. And this is as long as i can remember even when i was young i can remember that my parents went to bed at midnight and i was still awake.

So everybody is different. I need less sleep

95069916.png
    Cool then. I personally am fine with 6 hours of sleep, although I do power naps in the afternoon (30 minutes or less). I am also a light sleeper. I hear just about any weird noise in the house and outside and wake up wide awake. When I wake up in the morning, I don't lag..............I basically jump out of bed and get ready fast. Even growing up I've been that way, so I get where you're coming from.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    It's a vicious cycle as cortisol disrupts sleep even as lack of sleep raises it. So less sleep leads to less restful sleep.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There is a direct relationship between metabolism, growth hormone and sleep. As we get older our natural production of growth hormone slows down and we have a tendency to "age" and put on weight. The time that your body produces it's own natural growth hormone is when we are in a deep sleep (beyond REM.) As we get older that is harder to achieve.

Some of the supplements that I take before bed are Melatonin, GABA, L-Arginine and Glycine. This combination helps settle the body and promote the deep sleep you need to repair your body from the rigors of daily life.

One thing that will become apparent very quickly when you take these in this combination is you will have very vivid dreams. Other than that, no side effects.

When your body is producing it's own growth hormone, you suppress your fat cells. My son was prescribed HGH when he was young (no measurable growth between the ages of 6-8) and they warned us that kids on HGH are very slim. They were right.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Is this a fact or a bit of a myth? Thanks guys!

Truth, because if you get adequate sleep you have the energy to pay attention to calorie goals and move through your activities, as well as put energy into your exercise if you choose to exercise.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I take melatonin to help with this. I find that I don't always sleep soundly and can feel it in my performance the next day. Melatonin knocks me right out, I sleep more soundly than ever and wake up refreshed. YMMV as some say melatonin gives them horrible nightmares.

Woot woot for melatonin! Love the stuff. Without it, I would go to bed and lay there for sometimes hours trying to go to sleep. Pop a melatonin and I am out in less than 10 mins. And I don't wake up groggy like I did with Ambien.

In the past, I have also used sleep as a way to stop eating. If it is close to bedtime and I want to keep snacking, I just hit the hay and call it a day.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    High ghrelin (hunger) + low leptin (satiety) = eating more all day
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC535701/
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The health (or performance) triad - sleep, nutrition, and exercise. One "out of whack" can affect the other two.