Cutting out soda

Options
hey guys! Today is day two for me! I have decided to cut out soda from my diet and drink more water. Has anyone else been successful with this?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I switched from regular to diet. For me, it wasn't worth drinking calories (except a protein shake if I am short for the day). Outside of that, I still drink 120-150+ oz of water.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I cut it out when I was training in high school per my coach. I haven't had more than a half a dozen in the last decade. After a while I stopped craving it, but I also noticed that carbonated beverages became difficult for me to drink. The carbonation made my stomach feel too bloated and I didn't enjoy it anymore.

I use liquid water enhancers because I enjoy flavored water.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's also been found that folks that switch to diet soda actually gain weight
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Absolutely! I cut out pop a long time ago. It helped that I always felt like crap after drinking soda... phlegmy, agitated... I don't miss it one bit. If I'm craving any pop-like drink I mix 1/3 cranberry juice with 2/3 soda water. Tasty and refreshing!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I did too. It is a kryptonite of mine.

I did it backwards to many here. I used to drink diet cola but then my doctor wanted me to cut the diet pop. I did, but then I slowly started using regular soda... I gained a lot of weight that year. :(

I haven't had soda in over 4 months. I miss it a bit.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3. It's worse than quitting smoking.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    hey guys! Today is day two for me! I have decided to cut out soda from my diet and drink more water. Has anyone else been successful with this?
    Yes, I quit drinking soda almost 3 years ago. I used to have 3-4/day at work but was able to wean myself off of it by switching to sparkling water. I found out that I actually craved the kick from the carbonation, not the soda itself.
    The only time I have soda now is with mixed drinks, otherwise the idea of it kind of sickens me.
  • LessofBrian
    LessofBrian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was at my company Christmas party in 2012 and, as always, had a Diet Coke in my hand. I was feeling lethargic and having some memory problems. I poured it in the bushes and never looked back. I now drink (unsweetened) tea, both hot and cold, almond milk and tons of water. My brain fog cleared quickly.

Stick with it and you'll notice a difference. And, if you're anything like me, you'll quickly adjust to water being the one thing that'll truly quench your thirst.
  • Sandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    I too realized that it was a carbonation craving for me. I cut the sodas earlier this year. I started drinking La Croix sparkling water almost everyday to not drink sodas and now I rarely drink either.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm a week in to weaning myself off. Went 2 days without it, but just had a small diet coke at lunch. I usually drink about 96 oz of water a day. Having a large bottle at my desk helps. I also drink hot tea, usually a cup in the morning and a cup in the afternoon.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes! I went from having maybe 4 regular sodas per day, to having 1 regular soda and the rest had to be diet. This was about 12 years ago. Then I cut that down to 1-2 diet per day, with a regular every few days. Then I cut that down to 1 diet per day and maybe 1 regular per week. THEN I realized diet was making my stomach hurt, so I cut out diets all together. Now I have like 1 regular dr. pepper or coke per week, and it's a huge treat. Like chocolate. :) It's possible. It just takes thought and persistence.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't remember drinking "real" soda but I probably did as a kid. I've been on diet for eons. (I'm old.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking soda about 3.5 years ago (save for the 3 or 4 per year I have while I'm out camping or something.) I had pre-diabetic blood work at the time so main lining sugar really wasn't the best option for me. At that time I drank 3-4 sodas per day.

At this point I don't miss them at all. On the very rare occasion that I do have one, I prefer craft sodas to the mainstream sodas...I always have a craft sarsaparilla during our village's harvest festival and I'll have a good craft cream soda or root beer occasionally when I'm camping/fishing.

• kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I truly feel amazing since stopping soda! I'm so glad it has worked for all of you!
  • SierraGolf223
    SierraGolf223 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Finishing up day 3 here! It feels good to not drink it so much. I've decided I'll look to sparkling water if I'm really craving something sweet and bubbly.
  • SmashleyBak
    SmashleyBak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't drink or buy pop..if I really have a craving I'll buy nestle or Dasani carbonated water that's flavoured, or Perrier and squirt MIO into it. Satisfies that craving for fizzy was and SO much better for you!!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't drink them too much anymore. The occasional Zevia is pretty much all the soda I drink. They're pretty expensive, so that tends to make me drink them less often. I usually drink water, coffee, or tea when I'm thirsty. Kombucha is my beverage of choice most of the time when I want something fizzy.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink diet soda and a lot of water
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I cut out soda a year ago but it was the hardest thing I have done for my health in my long life time.

My goal was to cut out all grains and most all sugars and after two months I was a failure at doing so. Got ticked off with me and left both cold turkey was the only way I did it. In hindsight of doing a lot of research I now think it was giving up the grains that enabled me to give up the addictive like nature that sugar seemed to have been in my case.

After a hellish two weeks all cravings for sugars and grains faded fast have have not returned in any controlling fashion. Yes pizza and ice cream still look, smell, etc good but they do not command my hand to put them in my mouth because I am now (unlike before) in control of my hand and mouth.

I live in a house filled with processed carbs due to the wife and two 18 year old kids. If I was still playing with carbs I expect I would get burned in short order. I made the change for pain management and for a year I have been relatively pain free (7-8 down to 2-3 level) after leaving the grains and sugars.

I have stopped 'dieting' since I just yo-yo'ed for the past 40 years. Now I just eat for health and have lost another 30 pounds over the past 12 months eating 2600 calories to lose and 3000 to maintain at 200 pounds.

Best of success in your efforts.