Guys only! Does your woman tempt you to eat more during her TOM?

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
I've been trying to eat healthier and she has as well but every time she has TOM she brings out the junk food and it's like she doesn't care that I'm wanting to avoid temptation.

Last night we had a great meal of grilled chicken and a tasty salad, followed by a small piece of pumpkin pie. We're both on target for our calories and then she brings an entire bag of Oreo cookies to bed with her and puts it in between us and starts eating. She even has the nerve to demand that I eat some too. "Just eat a few so I won't feel like I'm the only one getting fat."

I tried telling her that she's being insensitive but then she'll start this bit where she claims I don't understand her cravings and how she has to eat more food. She makes me the bad guy and even starts crying if I get upset about it. I don't care if she eats it but why does she have to tempt me with this food too? Can't she at least go eat it in the other room? No, she has to be near me when she makes bad decisions for some reason.

Do women really have uncontrollable desires to eat food? There's no way her body needs that much junk food. I understand she needs a bit more nutrition but why can't she just eat more at dinner? Does TOM make a whole that only junk food can fill and if so why try to force other people to join in the bad decisions?

Replies

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a woman but I couldn't help but notice this post. No, not all of us women behave like this. Both my husband and I are sensitive enough to each other to avoid waving their temptations at their face, TOM or not. If we desperately want something, we'll quietly eat it in the kitchen or wait after each others' bedtime and then indulge. Her behavior is not normal and you shouldn't allow yourself to be treated like that.

I did have uncontrollable urges like that when I was pregnant. Definitely not every month.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    @_Waffle_ you're not in a good situation here. I'm picturing you showing your wife a thread full of women saying she is behaving badly and it Not Going Well.

Suggest she eat at maintenance for a few days and see if eating more regular food reduces the cravings for Oreos. And if she does eat Oreos, to just have two, and not next to you unless you have budgeted for two as well.

And to never, ever, bring the whole bag to bed.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    OP: instead of telling her how insensitive she is being - try explaining how not eating that bag of oreos is not helping both your goals. Reason with her and if that don't work there's always sex..just sayin
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Do women really have uncontrollable desires to eat food? There's no way her body needs that much junk food. I understand she needs a bit more nutrition but why can't she just eat more at dinner? Does TOM make a whole that only junk food can fill and if so why try to force other people to join in the bad decisions?

No. It's just an excuse. Nobody's body NEEDS junk food.

Nobody can force you to join in their bad decisions. If you take the Oreo's, that's all on you.

It sounds like you both need to grow up.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's not normal.

There are certain points in a woman's menstrual cycle when she will be burning more calories and will be more likely to be hungry. If you're serious about wondering about that you can read the article below. It does mention a *possible* link between craving chocolate and low magnesium levels.

Overall, though, it's not something that your average woman should feel to an extreme extent. There are outliers, of course, but it shouldn't be unmanageable. Frankly, I think that your wife is being emotionally manipulative. That sucks for you.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am a girl and have to agree that she is being insensitive. DH and I are losing together as well, and it takes a serious amount of willpower to not eat everything in the house during that time, some months I do better than others, but it is tough. For me, it is honestly one of the hardest parts of losing. Trying to gauge true hunger with hormonal shifts and moods is difficult sometimes. However, for her to get upset with you because you are not indulging is just...weird....and not very healthy for a relationship.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    OP: instead of telling her how insensitive she is being - try explaining how not eating that bag of oreos is not helping both your goals. Reason with her and if that don't work there's always sex..just sayin

I wish but since this is her TOM the sex part is pretty much out the window.

I was thinking about hiding the junk food tonight just to see how that turns out. If she can't find the Oreos then she can't bring them to bed. :laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you can't just eat one or two - in the grand scheme of things it's not going to hurt your progress and will keep your wife happy.

I think you're being quite insensitive - PSM can be really hard on women, you should try to be more supportive to her.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you can't just eat one or two - in the grand scheme of things it's not going to hurt your progress and will keep your wife happy.

I think you're being quite insensitive - PSM can be really hard on women, you should try to be more supportive to her.

Nobody should eat anything that they don't want to eat. Period. PMS is manageable. It happens every month, more or less, for 40-something years of a woman's life. At a certain point it's time to ov' up and develop some healthy coping mechanisms for this recurring event.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Seriously? If she wants Oreos, she can have them. She shouldn't insist that someone else eat them if they don't want them.

OP isn't being unsupportive by not eating a cookie.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Not eating them is not helping?

I'm so confused.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/how-do-hormones-affect-hunger/

BUT she's an insecure controlling jerk for trying to making you eat them.

GET OUT NOW
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    My fiancee doesn't count calories, and I don't expect her to do so because of my issues with self-control. She's an adult and can make her own choices, just as I can make mine. A cornerstone of our relationship is that neither one of us treats the other like we're above them or control them. If I expect her not to eat a cheeseburger because I'm trying to eat less calories, the problem in that situation is me, not her.

This thread also has some pretty sexist overtones that I'm sure most women wouldn't appreciate. Women don't lose their minds during their time of the month.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Nobody should eat anything that they don't want to eat. Period. PMS is manageable. It happens every month, more or less, for 40-something years of a woman's life. At a certain point it's time to ov' up and develop some healthy coping mechanisms for this recurring event.

I wish we had a like button because.......this. All of this....especially ov' up! Coping mechanisms are necessary, my personal fave is a screaming hot bubble bath with a book. Takes up time in the evening, hard to eat and helps with cramps!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I personally feel this is way sad. My partner doesnt watch what he eats like I do and he is always respectful of eating his treats in another room. If im really having a tough time resisting cravings i brush my teeth and go to our room, so he can eat out in the living room.

Cravings due to PMS or any reason at all are tough to resist, but if its YOUR ultimate goal to avoid these snacks you just say no. She is an adult making her own choices. If she wants to drag you down with her that's where she is being unfair to you. You are allowed to say no, and your partner, TOM or not, should always respect your "no" without a guilt trip. Its a tough situation to call someone out on their behavior so i dont suggest that method. Let her make her choices, but dont let her choices dictate yours. Go shower when she brings the oreos out, take a walk around the house, take the trash out!

I can understand her wanting you to have the treats too, I totally have done it in the past and somehow it did make me feel better about what I was eating, but I wouldn't have forced it if he didnt want any! Hiding the oreos is only going to make her upset. The goal in a relationship should always be to meet your goals while supporting your partners goals as much as possible for a lifetime. You can suggest portioning out the oreos before coming to bed (so she can have the flavor but doesn't go overboard) and just refuse. You shouldn't apologize for not eating a treat you don't want. Stand your ground.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My fiancee doesn't count calories, and I don't expect her to do so because of my issues with self-control. She's an adult and can make her own choices, just as I can make mine. A cornerstone of our relationship is that neither one of us treats the other like we're above them or control them. If I expect her not to eat a cheeseburger because I'm trying to eat less calories, the problem in that situation is me, not her.

This thread also has some pretty sexist overtones that I'm sure most women wouldn't appreciate. Women don't lose their minds during their time of the month.

Well said. My decision to count calories has nothing to do with my husband's choices (just like his decision to eat less sodium has nothing to do with my choices). Adults have to be able to manage situations like this.
  • _Waffle_
    Options

I know I've sort of painted her to be this terrible person but for the most part she's supportive and caring. She even chides me if I have too much dessert typically.

I don't know if she's using her TOM as a free pass to act out or if women really do have uncontrollable urges. That's the part that I don't understand. At any rate I don't know why she wants me to join her other than it making her feel better about making bad choices. A partner in crime if you will.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat healthier and she has as well but every time she has TOM she brings out the junk food and it's like she doesn't care that I'm wanting to avoid temptation.

Last night we had a great meal of grilled chicken and a tasty salad, followed by a small piece of pumpkin pie. We're both on target for our calories and then she brings an entire bag of Oreo cookies to bed with her and puts it in between us and starts eating. She even has the nerve to demand that I eat some too. "Just eat a few so I won't feel like I'm the only one getting fat."

I tried telling her that she's being insensitive but then she'll start this bit where she claims I don't understand her cravings and how she has to eat more food. She makes me the bad guy and even starts crying if I get upset about it. I don't care if she eats it but why does she have to tempt me with this food too? Can't she at least go eat it in the other room? No, she has to be near me when she makes bad decisions for some reason.

Meh

Like all relationship issues talk to her

You control you, let her control her

I feel the same when women complain about "unsupportive spouses" to be honest
  • Emily3907
    Options

I know I've sort of painted her to be this terrible person but for the most part she's supportive and caring. She even chides me if I have too much dessert typically.

I don't know if she's using her TOM as a free pass to act out or if women really do have uncontrollable urges. That's the part that I don't understand. At any rate I don't know why she wants me to join her other than it making her feel better about making bad choices. A partner in crime if you will.

The more I think about it, the more I think this may be a case of "partner in crime" mentality. Maybe she feels that by indulging you are judging her (not that you really are). She just may instinctively know she is losing control and her guilty conscious is playing out and it makes her feel better when you are "bad" with her, maybe eases the guilt.

I think what she really may need is for you to stand up to her in a respectful way. Something like, "I understand you are craving X, and if that will make you feel better that is okay, but I am not going to indulge with you." I think over time she will start to naturally find other ways to cope.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Seriously? If she wants Oreos, she can have them. She shouldn't insist that someone else eat them if they don't want them.

OP isn't being unsupportive by not eating a cookie.

She may be having wild hormone surges and the Oreos make her feel better - but her husband sat next to her not joining her, even for one, makes her feel terrible.

It wouldn't hurt him to have one or two - and it would clearly make her feel a whole lot better - so yes, for the sake of an Oreo or two a month, he is being unsupportive.