Guys only! Does your woman tempt you to eat more during her TOM?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    My fiancee doesn't count calories, and I don't expect her to do so because of my issues with self-control. She's an adult and can make her own choices, just as I can make mine. A cornerstone of our relationship is that neither one of us treats the other like we're above them or control them. If I expect her not to eat a cheeseburger because I'm trying to eat less calories, the problem in that situation is me, not her.

This thread also has some pretty sexist overtones that I'm sure most women wouldn't appreciate. Women don't lose their minds during their time of the month.

I know I've sort of painted her to be this terrible person but for the most part she's supportive and caring. She even chides me if I have too much dessert typically.

I don't know if she's using her TOM as a free pass to act out or if women really do have uncontrollable urges. That's the part that I don't understand. At any rate I don't know why she wants me to join her other than it making her feel better about making bad choices. A partner in crime if you will.

I used to use my TOM as a free pass but learned that all I needed to do was to eat more regular food and that regular exercise earlier in the month helps as well. Also, I take magnesium.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat healthier and she has as well but every time she has TOM she brings out the junk food and it's like she doesn't care that I'm wanting to avoid temptation.

Last night we had a great meal of grilled chicken and a tasty salad, followed by a small piece of pumpkin pie. We're both on target for our calories and then she brings an entire bag of Oreo cookies to bed with her and puts it in between us and starts eating. She even has the nerve to demand that I eat some too. "Just eat a few so I won't feel like I'm the only one getting fat."

I tried telling her that she's being insensitive but then she'll start this bit where she claims I don't understand her cravings and how she has to eat more food. She makes me the bad guy and even starts crying if I get upset about it. I don't care if she eats it but why does she have to tempt me with this food too? Can't she at least go eat it in the other room? No, she has to be near me when she makes bad decisions for some reason.

Do women really have uncontrollable desires to eat food? There's no way her body needs that much junk food. I understand she needs a bit more nutrition but why can't she just eat more at dinner? Does TOM make a whole that only junk food can fill and if so why try to force other people to join in the bad decisions?

Okay. I get a bit more hungry during my period. Usually a couple of hundred extra calories is enough- not a whole pizza, gallon of ice cream or bag of cookies.
    She can eat what she wants. Cookies can fit in her plan. Do not hide food from her. She is an adult.
    She is not right to demand that you also eat the cookies and get fat just because she is using her period as an excuse to go way overboard. Just walk away from that selfish demand.
    She could be more considerate and eat them in another roomShe could find other ways to manage her period. Eat at maintenance that week, take vitamins, exercise, take a hot bath, eat a small amount of dark chocolate instead of a whole bag of cookies.
    You could leave the room if it bothers you to be around the cookies. Ultimately, you are responsible for what you eat.

I often take a bowl of popcorn to lounge in bed with my dh. He has eaten my popcorn while saying he doesn't even want it. It is just there so he eats it. I don't demand he eats or even offer it to him. I'm not going to stop eating my popcorn in the same room with him. He can just not eat it like I don't grab his ice cream or bag of chips.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Egads, all of these suggestions for one of the partners to eat in secret.

This seems very unhealthy.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you can't just eat one or two - in the grand scheme of things it's not going to hurt your progress and will keep your wife happy.

I think you're being quite insensitive - PSM can be really hard on women, you should try to be more supportive to her.

Seriously? If she wants Oreos, she can have them. She shouldn't insist that someone else eat them if they don't want them.

OP isn't being unsupportive by not eating a cookie.

She may be having wild hormone surges and the Oreos make her feel better - but her husband sat next to her not joining her, even for one, makes her feel terrible.

It wouldn't hurt him to have one or two - and it would clearly make her feel a whole lot better - so yes, for the sake of an Oreo or two a month, he is being unsupportive.

So shouldn't she focus on controlling her cravings instead of trying to get her SO to join in eating that doesn't fit in either of their goals?

Why should he feel miserable for the sake of her feeling better about her eating?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    My fiancee doesn't count calories, and I don't expect her to do so because of my issues with self-control. She's an adult and can make her own choices, just as I can make mine. A cornerstone of our relationship is that neither one of us treats the other like we're above them or control them. If I expect her not to eat a cheeseburger because I'm trying to eat less calories, the problem in that situation is me, not her.

This thread also has some pretty sexist overtones that I'm sure most women wouldn't appreciate. Women don't lose their minds during their time of the month.

I know I've sort of painted her to be this terrible person but for the most part she's supportive and caring. She even chides me if I have too much dessert typically.

I don't know if she's using her TOM as a free pass to act out or if women really do have uncontrollable urges. That's the part that I don't understand. At any rate I don't know why she wants me to join her other than it making her feel better about making bad choices. A partner in crime if you will.

The more I think about it, the more I think this may be a case of "partner in crime" mentality. Maybe she feels that by indulging you are judging her (not that you really are). She just may instinctively know she is losing control and her guilty conscious is playing out and it makes her feel better when you are "bad" with her, maybe eases the guilt.

I think what she really may need is for you to stand up to her in a respectful way. Something like, "I understand you are craving X, and if that will make you feel better that is okay, but I am not going to indulge with you." I think over time she will start to naturally find other ways to cope.

Or she'll find someone else with whom to share her Oreos with...

...if you know what I mean.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Egads, all of these suggestions for one of the partners to eat in secret.

This seems very unhealthy.

This. How about just be adults and resist your cravings if you're trying to lose / maintain weight? Your SO should be allowed to do whatever they want to do. Relationships are about creating opportunities to enjoy life, not finding ways to restrict it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    OP: instead of telling her how insensitive she is being - try explaining how not eating that bag of oreos is not helping both your goals. Reason with her and if that don't work there's always sex..just sayin

I wish but since this is her TOM the sex part is pretty much out the window.

I was thinking about hiding the junk food tonight just to see how that turns out. If she can't find the Oreos then she can't bring them to bed. :laugh:

Don't hide them but tell her you're not coming to bed while there is a bag of Oreos in it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Eating is not allowed in my bed...because I'm apparently the only one in my family who can eat without making a mess...and sleeping in crumbs is the worst.

OP, maybe you could implement a no food in bed rule.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The crumb issue is what is really driving me nuts about this. Oreo crumbs. In bed.

I don't know if she's using her TOM as a free pass to act out or if women really do have uncontrollable urges. That's the part that I don't understand.

Why ask this in a "guys only" thread? (Obviously didn't end up being guys only.) I'm not understanding that part.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You are stronger than any bag of oreos. I have a similar situation only he doesnt have a TOM. So I just simply remove myself from the situation. Ignore the temptations and the tears. Its all just games of sabotoge.

Good advice. I'll try just ignoring the tears.
  • SlamF
    SlamF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eating in bed is gross. I think that's the most concerning part of this post.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The crumb issue is what is really driving me nuts about this. Oreo crumbs. In bed.

I don't know if she's using her TOM as a free pass to act out or if women really do have uncontrollable urges. That's the part that I don't understand.

Why ask this in a "guys only" thread? (Obviously didn't end up being guys only.) I'm not understanding that part.

My bad. I guess two women could live together and have this same issue.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Don't worry

We are female

We don't let guys tell us what to do ;)
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    SlamF wrote: »
    Eating in bed is gross. I think that's the most concerning part of this post.

Actually I've made that joke before. "Confucius say, many who eat cookie in bed wake up feeling crummy."
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Or perhaps a woman could tell you what a woman does or doesn't experience during her period?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    She's doing it wrong. During TOM I wouldn't share my treats with ANYONE. Tell her this. She should be eating them all to herself.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Probably a strategy...because nothing attracts opinionated women to a thread like labeling it "guys only".

And I'm speaking from experience here of receiving one of my two strikes in a "TOM question-women only" thread.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    She needs to get a grip on herself. I mean...what is supposed to happen here? Every time she has her period for the rest of her life you're going to be expected sit and eat junk with her?

And besides that, if she wants to lose weight then she needs to learn not to sit with a bag of cookies every month. That's her issue. Not yours.

• sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    er, everyone is different.