Has anyone given up refined sugar???

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hell no! XD I've lowered the amount of sweet things I do eat, mostly because I can eat something with meat and veggies that's the same calorie amount and be able to eat more, but I don't cut out anything from my diet. If I'm unable to enjoy what I eat, what's the point?

If you have a medical reason for it, then that's one thing. But refined sugar isn't evil, the only way it can cause weight gain is if you eat too much of it. Which is true of ANY food; the difference is the amount that qualifies as 'too much' changes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Yes, I gave it up years ago. For me, the difficult part was getting through the first two weeks. Since you're giving up refined sugar, you can substitute fruit or dried fruit. If you find yourself struggling, these cookies are delicious and so easy to make. I obviously make them without the chocolate chips.

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/the-healthiest-cookies-ever-paleo-vegan/

Good luck!

Dried fruits are probably the food with the most concentrated amounts of sugar short of eating it straight by the teaspoon full.

(not that I'm objecting to that, but seems counter to this poster's claim that she's given up sugar).
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

The problem with taking an all-or-nothing approach to refined sugar is it puts you in a position where you have to be a little obsessive about checking ingredients, and putting a whole lot of foods into a black/white good/bad category. And that, in and of itself, can lead to unhealthy eating patterns.

But consider taking a closer look at what specific foods are problematic for you - and how they're problems. Do they lead to binges, or do you just generally feel they aren't good for you? Is this more about specific emotional states or circumstances that lead to craving sugar? If so, then focus more on developing good coping strategies to deal with those states or circumstances, because sugar there is the symptom, not the problem.

+1

You really need to tell us more on why refined sugar. For instance, those paleo vegan cookies above have about the same amount sugar as chips ahoy, it just comes from dates. If you eat those cookies they same way you eat chips ahoy, than you haven't addressed the issue.

Instead of focusing on refined sugar, you need to make better food choices. I don't like to have blacklisted foods, but perhaps you need to do that for a while. Sugary sodas and things that make you binge should be on the list.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    If so do you have any advice on how to make the transition so you don't relapse??

Nope. I don't feel that's an approach that's healthy for me - total elimination seems to set up a sort of white-knuckle "I won't I won't I won't" then binge or cravings cycle that just seemed crazy to me (just talking about myself here, by the way), especially since I don't feel that any food is necessarily "bad" in and of itself. It's a matter of developing OVERALL eating patterns that support my health and fitness goals, rather than pointing the finger at any specific food or nutrient.

I did cut waaaay back on refined sugar for a few months so that I could re-assess the way I handle sugars. That worked well for me, so now I treat foods with refined sugar as an occasional treat rather than including them as a daily part of my food intake.

My problem is I am a all or nothing girl. I had quit soda cold turkey for 6 months. I had surgery and was throwing up so drank ginger ale...got hooked again :( smoking cigarettes same thing. I had one after 4 years of not smoking and then kept doing it for 2months the cold turkey again. My impulse control sucks. (I have a few brain tumors which affect the way I think and process stuff)

you might want to examine the reasons as to why your impulse control is off and maybe not point to one macronutrient as the source of the problem.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh yes. And after about three weeks I stopped having food cravings, for the first time ever. I eat plenty of fruit, but I no longer eat candy or cookies or bread. And now I don't miss them either. My goal is to keep my blood sugar levels steady. My advice on making the transition is to eat a bit of protein with each meal (or most meals), whether that be hard-boiled eggs (or egg whites), a cheese stick, a handful of nuts (pistachios are low-cal and satisfying), a small piece of meat. And try eating a hearty soup and salad for dinner, and don't stay up too late (so you don't get the munchies later).
  • Uncle_Eddie
    Uncle_Eddie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I gave up most of it. I avoid soda, most sweets, drink my coffee black, etc. But I am NOT going to pass up a piece of pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving, and if you make carrot cake...I get a piece. Moderation is king! :smile:
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    man thats a tough one...cut back yes...completely give it up...probably one of the harder things to go cold turkey on.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    They came to take my meat and I said nothing. But now they are trying to take my sugar! Brothers and sisters it's time for revolution! *runs off to find my Guy Fawkes mask*

LOL
  • gypsyrose85
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    curves2j wrote: »
    try doing paleo. it cuts out refined sugars but in moderation you can still eat other natural sugars/sweeteners.

so you are replacing sugar with sugar?

All sugars are not created equal. Sugars like honey, maple syrup, fruit and so on come with the added bonus of minerals, vitamins and have lower calories than refined sugar.
  • el223028
    el223028 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too am an "all or nothing girl" in the way that if I have any I begin to crave it and then I end up wanting it every single day. For me, I had to go cold turkey and after about three days I had just as much joy from eating sweeter fruits like bananas and pineapple as I did a cookie. I LOVE sweet things, have a horrible sweet tooth, always have. So I found making recipes like banana oat cookies (just mashed bananas, oats and cinnamon etc) was a good enough treat for me. I have been doing this for quite some time and have had major success with it. My reason for dropping it isn't because I necessarily want to lose weight, but I have a condition that puts me at risk for diabetes and my body does not metabolize carbs the same as others so I have to be extra cautious with it.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, I gave it up years ago. For me, the difficult part was getting through the first two weeks. Since you're giving up refined sugar, you can substitute fruit or dried fruit. If you find yourself struggling, these cookies are delicious and so easy to make. I obviously make them without the chocolate chips.

Good luck!

Dried fruits are probably the food with the most concentrated amounts of sugar short of eating it straight by the teaspoon full.

(not that I'm objecting to that, but seems counter to this poster's claim that she's given up sugar).

I believe she said refined sugar.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited October 2015
    Options
    try doing paleo. it cuts out refined sugars but in moderation you can still eat other natural sugars/sweeteners.

All sugars are not created equal. Sugars like honey, maple syrup, fruit and so on come with the added bonus of minerals, victims and have lower calories than refined sugar.

???? Source ???

Honey and maple syrup specifically are pretty much pure sugar mixed with varying amounts of water.

Calories? Pure sugar has about 48 calories per tablespoon; honey about 64 and pure maple syrup about 52

Fruit, of course, does contain fiber and some important micronutrients - but the sugar it contains is inherently the same as other sugar.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options

All sugars are not created equal. Sugars like honey, maple syrup, fruit and so on come with the added bonus of minerals, victims and have lower calories than refined sugar.

???? Source ???

Honey and maple syrup specifically are pretty much pure sugar mixed with varying amounts of water.

Calories? Pure sugar has about 48 calories per tablespoon; honey about 64 and pure maple syrup about 52

Fruit, of course, does contain fiber and some important micronutrients - but the sugar it contains is inherently the same as other sugar.

8dq4ebsaizbh.png
  • gypsyrose85
    Options

???? Source ???

???? Source ???

dvazah2vmlva.png
  • ndj1979
    Options

All sugars are not created equal. Sugars like honey, maple syrup, fruit and so on come with the added bonus of minerals, vitamins and have lower calories than refined sugar.

sorry, but it does not work that way.

so if I get all my nutrients from another source, and eat sugar does that mean that I am no unhealthy?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Good luck!

I believe she said refined sugar.

How specifically (nutritionally) is refined sugar different from naturally occurring?
  • gypsyrose85
    Options

???? Source ???

34rlu86kiiwa.png
  • gypsyrose85
    Options

???? Source ???

cuqivrkequ0f.png
  • ndj1979
    Options

???? Source ???

8dq4ebsaizbh.png

I fail to see what this proves...