Devil's advocate: 1200 calories for petite/short women?

Options

Replies

• tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft and 90lbs, my bmr is 1235 and my tdee is supposedly 1698 for lightly active. I have experimented around with it though, I need around 2,300 calories a day to maintain my weight, anything less and I lose. It just depends on the person, their weight, activity, etc I guess.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with being more active and eating more!!! My current calorie intake is 2100. My workouts are intense with cardio and weight training daily, so for me that is what I need to maintain my weight being 5'4" and 112 pounds. I could honestly never imagine calorie intake being so low, but I suppose everyone is different and needs vary.

I'm 5', 1.25" and currently fluctuating between 145-150 lbs. I'm training for a sprint triathlon. My BMR is set at 1,400. Depending on what day it is for training, I tailor my caloric intake to compensate for the caloric burn for the day. On days I'm swimming, I know I can easily burn 400-500 for an hour of doing an hour of laps in the pool. On my "rest" day, I would eat my BMR calories. Training days can be anywhere between 1,800-2,100. At this point, I gave up on a numeric goal on the scale. I'm fitting into size 6 with my current weight and I'm more interested with body/fat %. My goal is to get my body fat down to 16-18% from 26%.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    my goal is set to 2 pounds a week since i have so much to lose. what boggles my mind is that it would calculate very close to the same calories for someone half my size.

part of my problem is that i have a hard time staying under 1300 calories and feeling full. when i workout and am then allowed more calories its better, but when you work 10 hour days (as i do most days) its hard to do that. (I know that's not a good excuse.)

Usually the people who eat 1200 calories are set to lose 1 lb or even .5 a week when they are short. For me, MFP says my maintenance is 1400 calories.

I don't think you have to worry at all about making excuses--it's very hard to eat 1200 on long work days. Have you considered allowing yourself to eat between your 1290-and1790 depending on your body's needs each day? Then you will lose between 1-2 lbs a week.
  • neitime23
    neitime23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and at 1200 calories a day I was starving. i changed my profile to lose only a half pound a week just so i could eat more. i'm always hungry on the weekdays when i don't have time to exercise. then on the weekends when i do have time to exercise, i don't eat all of the calories i've earned. it kind of sucks. now i just splurge when i want and figure i'll make it up with extra exercise on the weekend.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I agree with being more active and eating more!!! My current calorie intake is 2100. My workouts are intense with cardio and weight training daily, so for me that is what I need to maintain my weight being 5'4" and 112 pounds. I could honestly never imagine calorie intake being so low, but I suppose everyone is different and needs vary.

I'm 5', 1.25" and currently fluctuating between 145-150 lbs. I'm training for a sprint triathlon. My BMR is set at 1,400. Depending on what day it is for training, I tailor my caloric intake to compensate for the caloric burn for the day. On days I'm swimming, I know I can easily burn 400-500 for an hour of doing an hour of laps in the pool. On my "rest" day, I would eat my BMR calories. Training days can be anywhere between 1,800-2,100. At this point, I gave up on a numeric goal on the scale. I'm fitting into size 6 with my current weight and I'm more interested with body/fat %. My goal is to get my body fat down to 16-18% from 26%.

I'd reconsider the 16% goal as it is not necessary really nor is it healthy for most women.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm now really confused. I'm not petite at all, nor average weight. I'm 5'8" and weigh 249 pounds, but have a sedentary home-based job (so no commute). according to MFP, my daily goal is 1290 calories. so not quite the 1200 the OP mentioned but pretty close, except i weigh a over 100 pounds more. Am I calculating something wrong?
    MFP's target depends how active you say you are and how fast you say you want to lose. If you put 2 lbs/week it takes 1000 off what it thinks you use, so sedentary plus high loss = low target.
  • deltalbarbie
    Options
    Bump
  • TrishyWest
    TrishyWest Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and maintain on 1800-1900 cals/day and eat 1580 on cutting days and 2100 or thereabouts on bulking days (aiming to gain LBM and reduce body fat percentage)

so no 1200 cals/day for me.

I have a large frame though, small framed short women would need to eat less than me at the same activity levels. Though no matter what your size you can eat more if you're more active.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I'd reconsider the 16% goal as it is not necessary really nor is it healthy for most women.

I don't think 16% is unhealthy so much as incredibly difficult to attain and sustain for the ordinary woman. There are women elite athletes who are much lower than 16%, although their body fat percentages never are as low as those of male athletes who go down to 6 or even 4%
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    SW: 130 CW:118 GW: 110
    Looking to share food logs with other petite ladies. I'm 5'2 trying to manage a 1200 calorie goal. I recently plateaued and realized that I wasn't eating enough calories considering I exercise 4-5 times a week. I've upped my calories and have started losing weight again.
    Also started blogging healthy recipe ideas at www.petitehealth.com.
    Please add me as a friend if you'd like to share food diaries/motivation. I just signed up for tough mudder this summer! Need all the motivation i can get! Thanks!
  • AlexiScott
    Options
    I'm 4'6" -_- lol 86 lbs and I eat like 1000-1500 a day depnding if I'm trying to lose or maintain. Walk about 2 hours a day.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was well on my way to being a success story, until I joined MFP and let the whole "you'll starve and you're metabolism will die" get to me. 100% my own fault, but I'm morbidly obese again. I should have listened to my doctor, and I won't be making this mistake again. 1200 is enough and NOTHING bad will happen.
    6102841 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think it's obvious that a lot of this will depend on your frame size and weight, as well as your genetic makeup - my family all seem to have slow metabolisms, and none of us eat a huge amount.

I'm 5ft2, and when I was a skinny teenager (47kg) I ate around 1000kcal gross, and felt fine on that (cycled loads, did well in college, plenty of energy, weight completely stable). My body has changed quite a bit over the last 20yrs though, and my natural intake is now around 1400kcal gross (I'm 59kg on that, and have been for the past 5 years). Some of that is fat , but actually most of it is muscle! My body composition is totally different now. I'm aiming to get to 55kg - 47kg would not be a healthy weight for me now.

It is difficult to get a good balance of nutrients, but that is mostly due to non-petite serving sizes - the average "adult-size" meal contains more than half of my daily quota of calories. That doesn't leave much room for anything else, and not all meals are a perfect 50/20/30 balance! For example, I had a fennel risotto for dinner last night. One plate was already way over my daily carb allowance, and only contained 15g protein - MFP thinks I needed to have eaten another 60g of protein that day, out of my remaining 700kcal, which is not really possible as a vegetarian if you are trying to eat normal meals and not just cottage cheese or protein shakes.

The main advantage I find with MFP is that it makes me more aware of empty calories (I've switched to a skinny latte after workouts because it has the same protein but fewer calories, and have also changed my breakfast yoghurt from greek to natural and eat fewer biscuits). I haven't made any significant changes to my diet, but it was pretty healthy to begin with and with only 4kg to lose I hopefully shouldn't need to make any major changes.
  • nerakma
    nerakma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and age 36. My MFP calorie goal comes out at 1200 (plus calories earned from exercise).

This week my net calories have been 771, 950 and 903. For the previous 2 full weeks my calories have averaged 1000-1100 net.

Today I actually forgot to eat the yoghurt I planned to have as a snack mid afternoon! Woops!
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    so here is what I have found out over the last 2 or so months.

1. started with 1200 calories. I didn't look at NET calories, just ate. worked out. Lost 20 pounds

2. started reading the posts. Upped my calories to 1400 (slightly above my BMR) - gained 6 pounds. Went to the doctor - based on thyroid, and everything else...1400 was above where I needed to be.

3. started on a high protein no carb 1000 calories...losing weight.

Upping my calories did not help me at all.

5'2'

I`m 45-yrs old, 5`0 ft . I was losing about half a pound to a pound a week on 1200 cal. I upped my calories to 1500 after reading all the bad things about 1200, but gained 6-lbs and now i`m not losing any weight in 3-weeks..
  • Meganrose935
    Options
    wow. i can't keep up. im 52kg 5 foot tall 20 years old and im struggling. to eat 1200 calories, ive only recently started counting my calories and found out i was averaging on 800-1000 calories per day, so since i have been trying to get to 1200 but i don't get hungry and i feel what im eating is enough and don't really understand why there's this 1200 minimum. i exercise most days
    i feel great on 1000, and on a lazy day 800 is fine.. was kinda hoping i wasn't the only one lol
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" currently 175 and I eat 1900 a day I'm pretty active, and workout 4 times a week, I used to only eat 1500 calories but that got me nowhere
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm short 5'0" or 4'11" (like almost 5 foot lol) and hate when MFP tells me I need 1200 cals to lose x amount of weight... I can't survive off 1200.. sometimes I net it, but usually that's if I fall asleep early. Usually my net is 1600-2000 idk how much I weight but I'm a size 0 so I guess that range works for me
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump