• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    NM.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate going out to friends houses. They've made this wonderful new dish that you just have to try! You don't want to be rude and refuse, but you know that if you have a problem with moderation after taking a bite of something delicious, it's hard not to overeat. We are going to a Halloween party friday night, and if it wasn't for my little boy, I wouldn't even go. My friend has a little boy, and he plays with him. She's one of those bubbly kind of girls that put's a spoonful of food to your mouth and says, "oh, you have to try this, it's delicious." She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are. I would just tell her off, but I'm a peacemaker, and I don't like to cause scenes. What would you do? Wow, I just realized that this sounds like a Dear Abby column!

Just say no, and move on. You have every right to determine what goes into your body. You don't have to try it. You don't have to eat it. If someone says something patently wrong, correct them immediately and publicly. They'll go after an easier victim.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate going out to friends houses. They've made this wonderful new dish that you just have to try! You don't want to be rude and refuse, but you know that if you have a problem with moderation after taking a bite of something delicious, it's hard not to overeat. We are going to a Halloween party friday night, and if it wasn't for my little boy, I wouldn't even go. My friend has a little boy, and he plays with him. She's one of those bubbly kind of girls that put's a spoonful of food to your mouth and says, "oh, you have to try this, it's delicious." She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are. I would just tell her off, but I'm a peacemaker, and I don't like to cause scenes. What would you do? Wow, I just realized that this sounds like a Dear Abby column!

If you have issue with moderation, I think you should skip trying it. If it's a trigger, don't do it. Be polite but say no.

Bring some food you can eat, and eat that. Save yourself some extra calories so if there are good foods you want to eat (and can handle eating) then you can.
  • mae3599
    mae3599 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hey there u can take a litter bite instead of a bowl...friends are the best don't ever blame them if they do offer you :) otherwise u just work hard by next few days ? i think should be fine , dun make weight loss journey as a suffer for your own hehe
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Why is everybody suggesting the OP lie?

What is wrong with saying "no, thank you very much, but I'm trying to lose weight"?

It works for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

What is wrong with saying "no, thank you very much, but I'm trying to lose weight"?

It works for me.

I suggested lying because a lot of food pushers don't think that trying to lose weight is a good enough reason to say no, apparently. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything... sigh.
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you have issue with moderation, I think you should skip trying it. If it's a trigger, don't do it. Be polite but say no.

Bring some food you can eat, and eat that. Save yourself some extra calories so if there are good foods you want to eat (and can handle eating) then you can.

Yeah. I have to ask myself if I'm in control or not before starting to eat a trigger food. If I feel that I might binge, it's easier to say no to the first one than the second.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It works for me.

I suggested lying because a lot of food pushers don't think that trying to lose weight is a good enough reason to say no, apparently. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything... sigh.

I think it's better to not give any reason. If you give a reason, Pusher has something to argue with. If you don't give a reason, they have nothing to argue. Just say, "No thanks", and move on.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

It works for me.

I've tried the "I'm trying to lose weight, but thank you anyway" approach many times and have been told to "Treat myself, just ONE won't hurt". Incredibly annoying! So I lie. It's easier.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to quote myself above ^^ But anyway..!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

It works for me.

I think it's better to not give any reason. If you give a reason, Pusher has something to argue with. If you don't give a reason, they have nothing to argue. Just say, "No thanks", and move on.

Agreed. No need to engage if you're sure your words will just be disregarded anyway. No is a complete sentence that requires no further explanation. Or no thanks, in this situation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It works for me.

This.

If someone kept begging me to eat something after I said no I'd just laugh and say "really? why do you care so much?"
  • adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends Mom is like this.. she will argue with you and whine at you until you eat what she wants you too. She is total southern Momma and shows affection through food. But she cooks so unhealthy.. One time she says to me "I don't have bacon grease to use to cook the green beans, do you think pork chop grease will be fine? I told her one time I don't eat after 8pm and she yelled at me until I ate some of this dang cake she made..
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    adhebert8 wrote: »
    My boyfriends Mom is like this.. she will argue with you and whine at you until you eat what she wants you too. She is total southern Momma and shows affection through food. But she cooks so unhealthy.. One time she says to me "I don't have bacon grease to use to cook the green beans, do you think pork chop grease will be fine? I told her one time I don't eat after 8pm and she yelled at me until I ate some of this dang cake she made..

This sounds a lot more like control through food than affection through food...

To the topic in general - in my experience, if you manage to resist a few times in a row, people learn. It's not like they have a choice in what you eat, really. But then again, my pride and downfall is independence :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Oh boy, that "southern hospitality"... Some of these people truly do take offense when you turn down the food they offer you.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I told her one time I don't eat after 8pm and she yelled at me until I ate some of this dang cake she made..

If I was in that situation things would not end well... :smiley:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    No one can make you eat something you don't want to. "No" is a complete sentence. Saying "No" and meaning it is a very important skill for your whole life, not just in this situation.

I have a lot of food pushers in my family. It took a little practice, but they've learned that when I say "No", I really mean it. I'm not being rude, I just don't want any. It's ok.

Here's how I normally handle parties. I save a few extra calories either through going lighter on a meal or exercising more. Then when I get there, I scan the food table. I choose what I think looks awesome, log it, and eat it. I don't just mindlessly grab food, I decide carefully what I want. Do I want a brownie or cookies? I can't fit both, so which one looks better? Do I want chip & dip or cake? Or do I eat a little of both? I'm a lot more picky than I used to be because I want to stretch my calories as far as they can go.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

You teach people how to treat you. She acts like this because you allow it. Say "No", mean "No", and if she's being obnoxious, leave.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would shove a jelly doughnut in my face right now.