How to not be tempted by my kids Halloween candy ???

Options
13»

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple for me -- I just don't have much of any candy in the house. I have some mints, chewy ginger candy, hard fruity candies, and a two pound dark chocolate bar that's in the freezer currently. I can't eat what isn't there!

Plus, even if I did have snickers and skittles sitting around the house, a look at the ingredients list is usually motivating enough for me to resist them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

ration out halloween candy?! It's HALLOWEEN! It only happens once a year, and they're only little kids trick or treating once! I can't imagine coming home after a fun night running around in costumes, them dumping their candy in a pile and then me saying "ok now just pick one or two and go to bed!" should I not let them open all their presents on xmas morning either?!

I know, right? :) My parents let me have one piece per day for about 3 days. I have no clue whatever happened to the rest but I know I never got it!

My kids' candy gets put in a bowl on top of the fridge and after lunch and dinner, they can have some. I let them eat plenty Halloween night. We don't ever really buy candy (well, there's usually twizzlers in the pantry) and I've stopped baking as much as I used to, so the holidays are really for them.

Candy isn't just a Halloween or even Halloween/Christmas/Valentine/Easter thing where I live. Kid finishes work at school, gets a piece of candy from the teacher. Gets off the bus, candy from bus driver. Goes to bank, candy from teller. Gets a hair cut, candy from stylist. My daughter is probably offered candy 5 times a week. It's not a special treat at all. She usually brings it home, sets it on the counter, and two days later I throw it out. She doesn't miss it. Same on Halloween. The candy is not the big draw for trick or treating, wearing a costume is what makes the day special for her.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    After we go trick or treating, I pick out most of the candy and leave it in bowl outside for the "older kids"
    Then I leave some (very few) for my kids to eat -- after a couple of days, my kids forget about it. If there's anything left, I can hide it in the pantry (somewhere high, out of MY reach, lol) or freeze it.