Is it irresponsible to give out candy with common allergens in today's society?

Options
13»

Replies

• DrFever100
    DrFever100 Posts: 5,899 Member
    Options
    I almost lost my son twice.....once because of anaphylaxis because the idiot who baked the 'nut free' cake was too dumb to realize Nutella is not nut free.

I find a lot of these comments ignorant notwithstanding the failed attempt at humour.

Yes parents NEED to check their kids' candies and people are free to hand out what they want BUT I'm also free to say that it takes a real low SOB to mock kids and life threatening medical conditions even in Chit chat fun or games.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am allergic to shellfish, which in some cultures is dried and used as a seasoning or as a key ingredient in "vegetarian" sauces. Sadly, no Thai for me. Halloween would be terrifying for me if I had a child with a peanut allergy! I would probably toss everything edible when we got home since so many candies are processed on machines that also process nuts. Honestly, though, this thread reminded me that I should buy nut-free candy to hand out, jokes and all.
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing anything special for your rug rats... Im doing a hundred for even buying the treats, and not just putting my dog on the front porch so that on the approach he'll run out barking and scare the s#!t of you and your little hell cats. That being said... They demand, I supply, you sort... It's your fault if you're children won't obey you and fill their little pie holes with peanut butter extra creamy extra chunky butter sticks, and won't wait till they get home so you can check out the candy.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that preach "It takes a village to raise a child". Think about it, raising a child; isn't just about teaching them independence & right/wrong. It's also about providing medicine (which we rely on doctors, to provide; to our children) & teaching them academics (which most typically rely on someone, besides the parent; to do). Therefore someone else is already doing for your child, what's necessary for surviving/thriving; that you either can't and/or won't do for them. So why stop there? I'd give party favors.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Is it politically correct to do anything in today's world?
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Nope, not irresponsible at all.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My son is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame seeds. As long as you're handing out the candy sealed, it's fine, we swap it for safe candy when we get home. I'd be beyond pissed if someone was handing out handfuls of loose peanuts or something, but frankly even before allergies that's just gross.

And yes, the teal pumpkin project is an awesome idea. We give out non-nut candies as well as have a basket of non-food halloween items (stretchy rats, squishy eyeballs, vampire teeth, etc.) We get a lot of kids who like the non-food stuff because it's different and cool.

But it's a hard line to walk. My son is only 2, so we're able to monitor him pretty closely, but I don't want him to grow up afraid of the world or needing someone to keep him isolated. The world isn't going to be free of his allergens, and he needs to learn as he grows up how to identify and navigate what's safe and what's not for him...and some of that is going to be learning that he has to give up the snickers bars.

When he's a little older we plan to pick up special candies from Vermont Nut Free or a similar place and do a swap-one piece of safe candy for each piece of unsafe candy, and then we'll donate the unsafe stuff. My hope is that this will teach him a few things: how to adjust what he eats to his allergies, and how to be generous and donate what he collects.