Options
2»

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    Well when you think about it, Nature herself is a fiend too. How dare she make fruits and vegetables and protein sources so delectable that I'd want to eat them?

Except.. most of our fruits and vegetables have been heavily manipulated by man and loosely resemble their original nature designed form. The natural form is not nearly so large and hyper palatable as the manipulated by man form.

Exactly. Which makes me wonder what the OP plans on eating given the conspiracy against us to make food yummier and yummier is so pervasive.

I suppose she could eat bugs or tree sap or something.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Before I learned to exercise my self control, these are some of the foods I ate without restraint at various phases of my life:

1. My grandmother's pancakes
    2. My grandmother's meatballs
    3. Saltines slathered with butter
    4. pretzels and potato chips eaten in combination
    5. ice cream
    6. chicken legs
    7. egg salad, oh my egg salad (I love it)
    8. Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies
    9. home made brownies
    10. grapes
    11. watermelon
    12. sunflower seeds
    13. cheese

The problem is not and never has been "commercialized food". The problem is always with the person who is eating food in gross quantity for whatever reason. Without fail, when I went on different diets and didn't eat snacky foods, I found something else to stuff my face with, because the problem was that I liked stuffing my face with tasty food.

Until we stop trying to pin the blame on everything outside of ourselves for putting vast quantities of food in our faces, we have bigger problems than what food companies are trying to do. Personal responsibility goes far in solving all sorts of problems.

I'm not saying it's easy to come to terms with this. It's not. But it's necessary. You don't necessarily magically eat less food by not eating commercially prepared food if you haven't dealt with why you were overeating it in the first place. If you think you were overeating it because the food giant meanies made it so yummy that you couldn't help yourself? Guess again. You'll soon be reaching for another apple, an extra large serving of oatmeal, and piling that all natural peanut butter on your whole grain bread and wondering why your weight isn't changing.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Before I learned to exercise my self control, these are some of the foods I ate without restraint at various phases of my life:

5. ice cream
    6. chicken legs
    9. home made brownies
    10. grapes
    11. watermelon
    12. sunflower seeds
    13. cheese

The problem is not and never has been "commercialized food". The problem is always with the person who is eating food in gross quantity for whatever reason. Without fail, when I went on different diets and didn't eat snacky foods, I found something else to stuff my face with, because the problem was that I liked stuffing my face with tasty food.

Until we stop trying to pin the blame on everything outside of ourselves for putting vast quantities of food in our faces, we have bigger problems than what food companies are trying to do. Personal responsibility goes far in solving all sorts of problems.

I'm not saying it's easy to come to terms with this. It's not. But it's necessary. You don't necessarily magically eat less food by not eating commercially prepared food if you haven't dealt with why you were overeating it in the first place. If you think you were overeating it because the food giant meanies made it so yummy that you couldn't help yourself? Guess again. You'll soon be reaching for another apple, an extra large serving of oatmeal, and piling that all natural peanut butter on your whole grain bread and wondering why your weight isn't changing.

9iv3mg28szch.png
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Jeanieh91 wrote: »
    Yes, just like Ruthfmoy said today (Oct 30-15), most commercialized foods are all designed by the manufactures to trick palate, taste buds and senses, to keep buying and feeding our kids and ourselves those treats, foods, or whatever they are. I'm learning I'd rather bring celery sticks w/healthy peanut butter, some fruit, and lemon water eat, or snack on, than keep stuffing up w/ all those "oh-so delicious foods" that does nothing but spike up this, and that, in a negative way, incl. any undesirable weight carry on. But, it all depends on what faze of life you're at. This might not make much sense to some, as I know it didn't me, before.

I agree that food manufacturers are in it for money. Capitalism. They want to us to create a physiological and psychological need (comfort), for *their* food product -- of course, there's a physical need for food, sustenance, but what I talking about goes beyond that.
    They are selling a product and we are the target market.
    Moderation does not make ConAgra stock soar.

Yet, the food that tempts me and that I tend to overeat is often not the manufactured kind. I can easily pass chips, cookies, ice cream cake, pancakes,McD's, chocolate etc...

I go overboard on steak, ribs, shrimp, more steak (and yes, wine and Guinness.) But mostly, natural foods -- so in my case, I can't blame Big Food for *my* indulgences :/

It's just me...

Exactly it is a business, if the company isn't doing well things change. McDonald's has a new CEO this year because they were not making enough money. New CEO comes in at how many millions per year, he's going to sell more McDonald's food!

Geeze big domestic tobacco companies keep having record profits this year too. Why is anyone surprised?
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Yes, just like Ruthfmoy said today (Oct 30-15), most commercialized foods are all designed by the manufactures to trick palate, taste buds and senses, to keep buying and feeding our kids and ourselves those treats, foods, or whatever they are. I'm learning I'd rather bring celery sticks w/healthy peanut butter, some fruit, and lemon water eat, or snack on, than keep stuffing up w/ all those "oh-so delicious foods" that does nothing but spike up this, and that, in a negative way, incl. any undesirable weight carry on. But, it all depends on what faze of life you're at. This might not make much sense to some, as I know it didn't me, before.

The phase that I, personally, am at is one where I've studied and learned enough to have abandoned the belief that I once had in the woo of "natural food," "slow food," "clean food," or any other kind of ego-building, first-world-problem creating classification system that enjoys judging what other people put in their mouths.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

5. ice cream
    6. chicken legs
    9. home made brownies
    10. grapes
    11. watermelon
    12. sunflower seeds
    13. cheese

Ice-cream yep
    potato chips
    cookies
    yep
    (also on my list of hyper palatable foods)
    otherwise, not so much for me. But hey, maybe it depends on the person.
    I'm sure I had a list of home made foods I over ate.
    Yet, I see those differently....

oh, and watermelon, yah, but not something I think ever contributed to my weight gain.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Every recipe in the world is designed to appeal to the palate and other senses. It's like you've never watched a cooking programme.
    The original Graham Cracker was purposefully designed not to appeal to tastebuds. It actually supposed to be so dry and bland and nasty that it killed your appetite, both gastrointestinally and sexually.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Corn Flakes started out this way too.

I think that I had one of those original graham crackers last week after I woke up from surgery. It was god awful nasty after 24 hours without food.

I will stick with the flavor enhanced commercialized version!
    Sylvester Graham would be overjoyed that someone is still actually serving his tasteless little crackers!

Not that Honeymaid Graham Crackers have much more flavor, though.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The relationship with food, that was always the issue

I love good tasting food! But it isn't a reward, an addiction, a comfort, or anything else other than fuel.

And oh yeah good spices make cooking so much more enjoyable.

The commercialized bit? I guess it depends on the market you seem out as to what that means. I like granola bars and Quest bars. Have not bought a bag of chips or cookies in years

I agree that if you don't want it in your body, just don't buy it! And if you do buy it, don't cry about the evils of the food industry.

Funny thing though, I can overeat any food type. I have the fat pants to prove it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yes, just like Ruthfmoy said today (Oct 30-15), most commercialized foods are all designed by the manufactures to trick palate, taste buds and senses, to keep buying and feeding our kids and ourselves those treats, foods, or whatever they are.

Then why do they usually taste less good than homemade. That's my problem with this argument.

There really aren't any mass marketed foods I'm likely to overeat. Fancy cheeses or homemade deliciousness, or some local restaurant food? Oh, yeah, easily.