WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    Carol - I add really well pressed and drained frozen spinach to my minced turkey burgers. We love them. I make 6, eat 2 each, and have the others cold for lunch the next day. <3

I send my good wishes to the new people who have just joined us. Treat this as a life long learning and adaptation. Our whole life style needs to change. As Barbie, our leader, reminds us "Strategy is stronger than willpower". Willpower soon runs out. We have to find a way to actually enjoy our new life and eat well and healthfully. If we feel deprived and resentful it will never work and the weight certainly won't stay off. I exercise a lot, mainly so I can eat at a level I can sustain with ease. I have been at maintenance for nearly two years now. Finding a way to exercise and burn more calories that works for you is key. That could just be walking to work. Having an exercise machine in front of the TV. Going dancing. Whatever works.
    I wish you all luck. <3

Love Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,734 Member
    Options
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    gqspskzn4sbh.jpg

Got the kittens here to the warehouse, they immediately found the couch that we moved here from the ranch and went to sleep after what was, I'm sure, a stressful trip for them. I've got lots of stuff to get done, the DH put my light up in the craft room so I'll be able to work back here.

Promised I'd send pictures, still messy, but it's coming together:

Here's the office, looking north, the door opens onto the warehouse portion.
    6vxuqe5te4z2.jpg
    And this is looking south.
    4l6q64nv3b6m.jpg

This is the back office, now my craft/sewing/writing studio, first looking north, then south.

nkbf0tv1zjfs.jpg
    axn5ku4crowb.jpg

Lisa in West Texas
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Pip ... Yay!

Betty ROC ... I didn't see the poem before ... Thank you for sharing.

Mary ... Glad to hear the dizziness is leaving.

Sylvia ... Being proactive is hard.

Alison ... Sorry to hear FIL is declining.

Terri ... Yay for flying through your audit!

All my guys (DH and two sons) are struggling right now ... Health issues gone amuck ...

I, however, have decided to spend a minimum of one hour outside every day ... Even on windy days like today. We'll see how this plays out when the snow starts falling. I just feel better when I get fresh air. I'm not a social butterfly and have become less willing to participate in noisy groups as my hearing loss worsens ... Being inside with "noise" is draining ...

Katla ... I've never been officially diagnosed with SAD, but suspect it plays a part in my moods. I keep things light and bright in the house best I can. Living in the northeast probably doesn't help.

Hugs to you all.
    Beth near BUF
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,823 Member
    Options
    Lisa~ very nice I see your bed tucked in behind the couch...
    today was ok at work wasn't to long a day.. just trying to figure out schedules tomorrow
    pellet stove people are supposed to be here between 9-11, DFIL meeting is at 8:30 so will leave a note for the guys to hold on for 15 min...
    then the countertop guys come at 2;30 and hoping the plumber comes close to that ,to install dishwasher..
    also I bought a usb 8gb to save stuff off the computer.. I am going to download our financial information onto it, and have my SIL keep it in there safe. So if something goes down ,I will have proof of finances..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :) When I walked the dogs this morning and again this afternoon, I got to see what the storm had done to our neighborhood. We have tall trees everywhere and there were branches on the streets and yards and roofs but no actual damage. We had no power outage but other neighborhoods were without power for several hours. Today Jake cleared the big branches and put them at the front of the yard for the neighborhood maintenance man to pick up...then he used the leaf blower to clear the front walk and driveway so it could be "vacuumed" up by the big neighborhood street sweeper. Later I gathered smaller branches and put them in the garbage can. On Friday a hired guy will get on the roof and clear off the debris that has accumulated there.

:) On the subject of staying with an eating plan at a restaurant, I have learned that I can order what I want rather than the menu items. I look to see what foods are included on the menu and then order just what I want....for example, I can order a grilled chicken breast without sauce and a side of sliced tomatoes and a side of steamed vegetables with no butter or sauce. My meal usually looks prettier than what everybody else has. Ordering a la carte is another option. At Mexican restaurants I order a single item with a side of pico de gallo and stay away from the rice and beans. Strategy is stronger than will power.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    16,000 steps
    147 minutes of dog walking
    54 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lisa - cute kitties! The inside of your warehouse looks awesome! You did a nice job!

Beth - I hope your guys feel better soon! I love to go outside and get fresh air as well. You have to do it before the snow flies!

Allison - you're doing a smart thing downloading the information up your computer! You do have to protect yourself.

Barbie - i'm sorry to hear about all of the distraction from the storm. Fortunately you are OK! I do same thing as you do at a restaurant. I order exactly what I want. They are usually very accommodating. I have one or two on occasion that would not accommodate a request and we just got up and left.

Have a great night ladies!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Becca -- loved the pictures of those elks...it made me chuckle. I only get wild turkeys and foxes around here in MA!.

I was up and out early today to swim. 40 laps which is just about a half mile. Sure feels like longer. Took 30 minutes. I always feel great after swimming and sleep really well.
    I also got some walking in because I went to Walmart (twice...because the first time I forgot something and had to go back, but I needed to get coffee!)

After a summer of back to back injuries, I feel like I've finally moved from recovery to strengthening.

Did ok with the food logging. Weight isn't budging really, but then again, that new scale I bought added 2 lbs.

The mention of SAD hit home. I really want to make sure I get outside more this winter. I know I feel better when I do. If I had elk in my yard, I'd be out there walking with them.

5247.gif

Kimses in MA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    suddenly the heater isn't working... batteries are new, pilot light is on, (fireplace gas heat w/controller) at least we still have the electric wall heat i can turn on so he doesn't freeze when i bring him home
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of a Gilad quick Body Sculpting DVD so tomorrow I'll do the Kelley Coffee Meyers Shape Up DVD

Cat from SD - beautiful pics. Welcome to the never ending fight for maintenance. You can do it!

Becca - you really do get better faster when you are home, can you imagine the progress Kirby will make at home? He'll be on his bike in no time! I have a hard time spending lots of money on a bathing suit. But I did splurge on a chlorine resistant one. I have not been disappointed. Maybe I spent $60-70 but I would wind up spending that much on cheaper bathing suits that didn't last as long, so in the long run it worked out. I get mine from One Hanes Place. They do have things on clearance and every once in a while they have reduced or free shipping. The last time I got one (about a year ago), I got one that was on clearance, I think I paid something like $40. Truthfully, I wasn't real crazy about the color, would have liked the lighter blue. But for the money, I'll manage with the darker blue one. and if someone does like it, they don't have to look. There's this one lady who is in my deep water class. Honestly, she was BIG. A while ago I mentioned to her that she needed to buy a new bathing suit as the one she had was falling off her. She did get a new one and looks so nice now, I've complimented her many times on how good she's looking.

Joyce - how wonderful that Charlie is getting back to his singing. What a great motivator to wear the diaper

Elaine - you've come to a great place for support

terri in Milwaukee - can you ask them not to bring you the bun?

Mary - you're back to exercising so you must be feeling better. Yea you!

pip - what a wonderful thing for your mom and sis to do for you and Kirby.

Vicki - please keep that snow by you

dd - welcome. Tell us more about yourself

Went to ceramics tonight. I'm surprised that Vince didn't want to stay that long. I was planning to work on the third coat of pain on the front, got a bit done but thought he'd like to stay longer and I'd get more done. I'll do the third coat on the back Monday

Alison - good for you having proof!

barbie - I almost always have a special meal in a restaurant. By that I mean I ask them to prepare it special. Usually, if the restaurant has, say, steamed veggies with another dish, you can get them with your dish in place of the french fries, etc.

Michele in NC
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :/
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Mary, glad you are feeling better. I hope it doesn’t continue to be a problem.

Mia, I’m the same way you are with not wanting to miss any of the posts. Sometimes it’s a struggle. Lol

Terri, I knew you’d get an A+ from the auditors. Good for you.

Betty, Heather and others, you are right about grief taking it’s own time. I know I won’t get over this immediately but at least today I was not walking around in a state of shock.

Vicki, I like your idea for Christmas to think more about the people around us than the food. I’ll try that too.

Dd18235, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in.

Pip, so nice of your mom and sis to send the help. Also so nice of friends to come put up the Christmas decorations. You know you both are loved.

Becca, I don’t think those are elk. I think they are reindeer.

Lisa, those kitties sleeping on the couch don’t look too much like mouse chasers to me. I think they just moved from one sofa to another. happyno.gif It’s all looking good; thanks for the pictures.

Beth, sorry your family is having health issues but good for you on getting outside every day. I like a bright house, too.

Barbie, I’m glad you didn’t have any sever damage from the storm and didn’t lose power. Stay safe.

Kimses, your exercise sounds great. Keep it up and things will start to move again.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. ((((Hugs))) to those that want/need them and healing thoughts to those that aren’t well. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up, not much time to comment, but wanted to send hugs to DJ and sylvia and welcome to the newbs.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: I'm happy you're finding things to be thankful for and good times planned in days and weeks ahead. :heart:

Mary from MN: Your "not much" looks like a couple of hard days of work to me: 5X5s, paint the kitchen, laundry & housework PLUS taco bar at church. Yikes! :flowerforyou:

Rosie in SO Cal: We have dark and rain. I was trying to decide if I'm jealous of your sunshine and 70 degrees. So far, I'm okay with what I've got. :wink:

Pip: It is so cool that Kirby's coworkers are going to surprise him--unless he reads MFP. Then the jig is up! Yay for wheel chair free walking!! :bigsmile: It warms my heart that your family is giving you two help. (((Hugs))) :heart:

Mia in MI: (((hugs))) :flowerforyou:

DD18325: Welcome. :smiley:

Terri_mom: YAY for flying colors! :bigsmile:

Becca: We see water birds and river otters from our windows but not elk. Wow! :flowerforyou:

Heather: Great advice to the newbies. :bigsmile:

Lisa: Thanks for the pictures. They tell a story that words cannot. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: "Strategy is stronger than willpower" is true in my experience, and might become a great mantra. I agree completely. :flowerforyou:

Kimses in MA: Being up close and personal with elk might be dangerous. A second floor balcony sounds perfect to me. The larger bulls are easily horse-sized as are some of the cows. Perhaps you can be up close and personal with deer. :flowerforyou:

Michele: One of my new restaurant strategies is to order an appetizer or two that fit into my dietary requirements and ask that it/they be served when others get their dinner. It works great for me. I also use your strategy when it is the best choice. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: NIce to see you stop by. :heart:

We had a new student in yoga this morning. She mostly watched. After class one of the other students and I welcomed her. She has just retired and has weight and health issues. I was in the same situation when I retired, so I could sympathize. I hope she'll continue to come and do what she can.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Becca, super pic of the elks.

Just wondering, when you make these delicious things, are you the only one that eats them or does your family eat them also? Today, I made turkey burgers that turned out well....93% lean ground turkey, splashes of Worcestershire Sauce, Lite Teriyaki sauce, catsup, and mustard seasoned with garlic. Mixed in about one cup of shredded potatoes. It made 6 large patties and was very moist and tasty. Even the DH liked.

nope its just me. My husband had a burrito. He isn't into veggies, sadly. Maybe a salad now and then but only with loads of thousand Island dressing. I have decided its not my job to change others but to just concentrate on myself. This evening I WOK'ED some thin steak and son had it on a outdoor roll, while husband had it with cheese on a burrito. Your burgers sound amazing! My husband wouldn't even had tried those. He is really picky...grrr
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »
    Becca -- loved the pictures of those elks...it made me chuckle. I only get wild turkeys and foxes around here in MA!.

I was up and out early today to swim. 40 laps which is just about a half mile. Sure feels like longer. Took 30 minutes. I always feel great after swimming and sleep really well.
    I also got some walking in because I went to Walmart (twice...because the first time I forgot something and had to go back, but I needed to get coffee!)

After a summer of back to back injuries, I feel like I've finally moved from recovery to strengthening.

Did ok with the food logging. Weight isn't budging really, but then again, that new scale I bought added 2 lbs.

The mention of SAD hit home. I really want to make sure I get outside more this winter. I know I feel better when I do. If I had elk in my yard, I'd be out there walking with them.

5247.gif

Kimses in MA

Great job with the swimming!! That is awesome! Mega calories burned!
  • Annr
    Options
    When we moved to Oregon from California, all the new critters here and there, sometimes puzzled little ol me. By Hammond Marina I told my husband to stop so I could take a picture of a cat drinking from a puddle.

100_1781_zpsxr9jroos.jpg

The cat was not amused as you can plainly see!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    My teenagers friends....this is how coastal kids play... :smile:
    004_zpsfrkqpj6o.jpg

My beautiful momma :-)

100_1332_zpsyonxoxtw.jpg

Becca
    Oregon