What do you think about juicing?

Options
I want to start trying juicing, as I know a few of my friends have lost weight because of it. Does anyone have advice about it? Is it helpful? Thanks xxx

Replies

• Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about taking steroids before getting advice on MFP.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Are you including it as part of a diet? Or are you doing a "cleanse?" The first is okay, but watch calories, the second is useless and dangerous.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'd rather... y'know... actually eat my food than squeeze the juice out.

You probably would, too.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »

Guessing juicing as in food in a blender rather than steroids.
  • shadow4478
    shadow4478 Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    if you can moderate it to 1 cup per day, its better then store bought. Especially if you can make it mostly from vegetables.
    What they say, eat your calories don't drink them.
    High in fructose/sugar your body will store most of it as fat.
    If you juice vegetables its better, and eat your fruit instead. But juicing greens is hard unless you have press.
    Most juicers are good at juicing hard substances, ie. carrots, beats, apples.
    If you look at the sugar in one apple its not so bad but if you juice 2-4 apples in one gulp it adds up fast.
    most people don't sit down and eat that many apples in one go. (and you loose all the fiber)

Overall I would say do it as a treat, not as means to loose weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's silly. You lose weight because you're taking in fewer calories, but that can be accomplished in a healthier way. Eat those fruits and veggies. Keep an eye on your micros.

But I know it is popular and that many people like to use it to kick-start their diet, so if you choose to go that route, I wish you well.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    'blending' in a nutra ninja like blender is better than juicing IMO.. you get all the nutrients and the fiber helps you not get a sugar spike.. its also a lot easier to clean up when blending than it was with juicing and you don't need tons of fruits/veggies just to get one good full glass out of it..i hated how much i had to use just for half a glass when i juiced and hmm the pulp mess was pretty yuck..you can use the pulp in recipes like some do though but, i never ended up doing so, so it really was a waste of food to me and it got pricey.. i much prefer and enjoy my blending smoothies more, a good nutra ninja/nutribullet type of blender makes them taste just like juice, just a tad bit thicker depending on what you types of fruits/veggies you use..

As for weight loss, a liquid diet still contains calories so its no different than eating foods IMO.
    personally, i did not juice to lose weight and theres no way I would even consider mostly juicing to do so, coming down from the sugar rush made me extra hungry!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »

lol
  • Bryzie555
    Bryzie555 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Spinach, kale, raddish, dates, lemon, apple, pear, oats, honey, celery, broccoli, cucumber, mint and advacado

1 Litre Nutri Juice blend I use every morning:

1cnrttstm32j.png
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    shadow4478 wrote: »
    if you can moderate it to 1 cup per day, its better then store bought. Especially if you can make it mostly from vegetables.
    What they say, eat your calories don't drink them.
    High in fructose/sugar your body will store most of it as fat.
    If you juice vegetables its better, and eat your fruit instead. But juicing greens is hard unless you have press.
    Most juicers are good at juicing hard substances, ie. carrots, beats, apples.
    If you look at the sugar in one apple its not so bad but if you juice 2-4 apples in one gulp it adds up fast.
    most people don't sit down and eat that many apples in one go. (and you loose all the fiber)

Overall I would say do it as a treat, not as means to loose weight.

The only way your body would store it as fat is if you exceeded your maintenance calories for the day.

OP, I don't think it's a good idea for weight loss, it doesn't teach you how to eat/portion sizes.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a good way to concentrate nutrients, but you end up sacrificing valuable fiber and it makes a damn mess. Plus, it's really expensive. You would be surprised at how little juice you get out of a bag of oranges.

Also, I find it much more personally satisfying to eat an orange over the course of 10 minutes than it is to drink a cup of orange juice over the course of 2 minutes.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a good way to concentrate nutrients, but you end up sacrificing valuable fiber and it makes a damn mess. Plus, it's really expensive. You would be surprised at how little juice you get out of a bag of oranges.

Also, I find it much more personally satisfying to eat an orange over the course of 10 minutes than it is to drink a cup of orange juice over the course of 2 minutes.

There's that^^^

and the fact that that juice has the texture of blended snails.

I know
    I know

Personal preference and all that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I wish my SIL would stop trying to sell me on the benefits

In the last 18 months I've dropped 54lbs, and been in maintenance for 9 months, she is still overweight and still hawking this miracle cure

My tongue has holes in it from the biting and if I smile and nod once more my head will fall off
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    It's a stupid gimmick.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat the food and feel full

I don't get the whole juicing craze aside of a way to sell easy weight loss and the expensive blender

A way to sell...

That started more useless diet crazes than anything else!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I want to start trying juicing, as I know a few of my friends have lost weight because of it. Does anyone have advice about it? Is it helpful? Thanks xxx

Be aware that if they lost weight (real fat weight, not just lower readings on scale because of less poo in intestines), it was not because of juicing, but because of a calorie deficit. You can achieve that in a number of ways, and lots of ways that are more pleasant and effective than "juicing".
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If it would help me shed this last 7 lbs, I'd go for it. haha
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not try something sustainable, like eating at a deficit?
  • livingfresh
    livingfresh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the good advice! I think after reading all the comments juicing doesnt seem like the greatest thing for me, although blending the fruits/veggies in a blender and drinking THAT seems like the better option. Thank you all!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    juicing in and of itself doesn't cause weight loss...people who juice and do these cleanses or whatever are simply taking in very little in the way of energy (calories)...and thus lose weight...they also lose a lot of water weight.

losing weight has nothing to do with juicing or not juicing or eating this or that but not that or this...weight management comes down to energy. your body is a machine and like any machine, requires energy to function optimally...a calorie is simply the unit of energy...when we consume more energy than our machines require, that excess energy is reserved for later use in a back up generator...your fat stores. when you consume less energy than our machines require, that back up generator kicks on to make up the difference and we burn fat. when we consume a balance of energy, we maintain weight.

juicing is a reasonably good way to supplement your diet, but really you should be primarily eating your food. i do not have the time or inclination to juice, but I do drink a low sodium V8 with my breakfast pretty much every day because it's an easy way to get in a couple servings of veg right off the bat. i generally eat another 4 servings or so throughout the day and a couple servings of fruit along with plenty of lean sourced protein, healthy fats, legumes, lentils, whole grains, etc...I'm an advocate of a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrition.