1220 calories - Morbidly obese (obese Class 3) Male - Meal Suggestions - Assistance Needed.

Options
1235»

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    He isn't going to get better if he doesn't do this for himself. His wife is going to continue to enable him, and he will get worse and worse. I think it is admirable that you care so much to do something for your relative like this, but unless you move in and monitor LITERALLY everything he takes in, and keep his own wife from enabling him, nothing will change. Try it for a bit if you like, but don't get upset when he doesn't stick with it.

Either way, I agree with spaghetti squash. It is delicious, and low in carbs. I like to cook it, then fork up the strands while keeping everything in the shell. Then I add spaghetti sauce(or any sauce), top it with cheese, and pop it in the broiler. Since he needs to watch sodium, I'm sure that broiling it with just the sauce would be great too
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles are awesome too! They even have 0 cal or low cal shirataki (sp?) noodles in the organic section.
  • PearDragon
    PearDragon Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    As much as I agree with all of the above, to help with your initial request for meal suggestions I'd say: massive amounts of veg. I stay full on 1270 a day by eating the most enormous plates of steamed veg, alone about 200 cals but they're more like 450 when I've added a bit of carb, a bit of fat and a bit of protein. But if you want to fill someone up without an overabundance of calories carrot, courgette, mushroom, leeks, pepper, beansprouts, broccoli, onions, aubergine cauliflower, cabbage and spinach are the answer. They're also very tasty with the right herbs and spices etc, and dressed up with a little oil or soy sauce in a stir fry.
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I suggest starting with changing the types of food he eats. Like the above post start snacking on more fruits and veggies. I started "eating clean" and made small changes not big ones. I found if I tried to change everything at once, my body went into craving mode. I started with making sure I had breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and evening snack. BUT my snacks had to be healthy (veggies, fruit, nuts) no processed or bread type foods, and made sure i had at least 3 different veggies at lunch and supper. I could have as much veggies as i wanted (limited amounts of potatoes) Then after a month I stopped buying bread and I made my bread in a bread machine instead. This was now the only bread I ate. About a month after that I started using more honey and cut back on my processed sugar, I found my body adjusted better and i didnt have to worry about what i was eating, if it was healthy i could have as much as i wanted. I didnt feel like I was telling myself "no" to things, I was telling my body "yes" to healthy things. Good luck, I also have someone that is in a similar situation, but no broken ankles, but he has diabetes :(
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    another suggestion is chop up mushrooms fine and use them as filler for hamburger patties, spaghetti sauce and meatloaf....
  • bloody88
    bloody88 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts, I will take a look at the latest ones when I get home tonight and I apologise for not being able to respond to each one of you. I have found a way to overcome the difficulties I was facing towards having a variety when creating the meal plans.
    Your messages here and especially the ones sent in my inbox have helped a lot. I have made a couple already but it is going to take a couple of days to balance them nutritionwise.
    Meanwhile his wife is adjusting his meal plans as I am trying to educate both of them as much as I can, so the wife will avoid buying/cooking with no moderation in high calorie ingredients and the husband to stop asking too much of them, on what foods to avoid and what they could replace them with that are lower in calories and higher in volume.
    I will post here again when the meal plans are complete so you can tell me your opinion.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that people are giving advice to eat loads of veg to some one who could have a potassium balancing issue.
    Eating lots of veg could easily put them over the 3000 mg a day that is deemed safe advice if the gland has been removed. 1 kidney removed isn't the issue, it is more whether the gland has been left in place. He needs a dietician referral or advice from his Doctor on if the gland was saved during surgery.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Due to all of the medical conditions...OP if you are going to be deciding his diet maybe you should have more info before preceding. You need more input from his medical team.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, this seems like way more than a lay person should handle. plus with all of his " eating conditions" he isn't serious about it and not ready to commit. Good luck.