Is there any easy preparation or no preparation meals for weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've been doing lately. I use the crockpot quite a bit. Leftovers from any dinner are typically portioned for lunches at work.

Breakfast:
    Overnight oats. Google it. Basically, I make 5 days worth of oatmeal and put it in the fridge, then dish out that days portion or pre-portion them into single-serving containers. Or I have a protein shake. Or if I'm ambitious an egg scramble/omelet.

Lunch/work:
    I graze at work mostly. I'll have a small dish of leftovers (maybe 300 calories) or a "Mason jar salad" or a sandwich or a small Lean Cuisine-type frozen meal. And then I add odds-and-ends from my fridge to snack on whenever I get peckish. (Many of this can be purchased pre-made for very reasonable cost. If I feel ambitious, I made some of it homemade.) Trail mix, whole fruit, dried fruit, nuts, chicken salad, cottage cheese, raw snacking veggies, string cheese or chunks of cheese or those laughing cow cheeses, leftover chunks of meat cut into bite-sized cubes or meatballs, cole slaw, kimchi, yogurt, granola bars. I can make these as simple as needed. Since I travel quite often, most of these are also packed in a cooler to journey with me on my weekend trips (so I don't have to stop at gas stations on the road or eat fast food when I'm hungry). Most of my "lunch" items can exist in a small lunch cooler (or even un-refridgerated) for a few hours.

Dinner:
    Well, I sometimes overdo the snacks in the afternoon and don't actually eat "dinner." These might be too much work for you, but I absolutely promise it doesn't necessarily take much more than 10 minutes to make these.

--About once a week I throw junk in the crockpot before bed and put the crock in the fridge. Then in the morning all I have to do is plug in the crock. Then dinner is ready for me when I get home (no matter how late it is). Probably 3-4 days worth of leftovers also result from the crockpot meals. Mostly chili or stew, but pot roast, whole chicken, and other things also get made. A couple servings of the leftovers go in the freezer and a couple go in the fridge. So at any one given point in time I usually have 2-3 varieties of "leftovers" floating around either in the freezer at work or at home. Ready to thaw whenever I want.

--Hot dinners at home (maybe once a week) on the stove would typically be some veggies (steamed or stirfried) with lots of butter/olive oil, herbs and lemon. Maybe rice or potatoes, maybe. And then some pan-grilled meat, deglazed into a sauce. I know this sounds complex, but it takes all of 10 minutes of prep and then cooking for 10-15 minutes. The meat I use is typically chicken, sardines, herring or salmon.

Evening snack:
    Similar to my work snacks. But also frozen desserts like sugar-free ice pops or something else like that. And wine. And beer. Very low/no prep.

But for the most part, as we've said, you can eat whatever you're eating now. Just maybe less of it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    To lose weight, one needs to be in a deficit. You can eat what you only do, only less. BUT.... :sunglasses: , If you take a bit of time on the weekend, you can grill or bake chicken breast for the week and I cook rice in bulk, for the same. Veggies I like to cut up fresh, or grab the bags already done for you.

I don't belive in starvation. I eat a lot of food mostly home made by myself but I also workout a lot. The important thing is that food should be less processed and more natural and your meals be more simple.

Since when is eating at a deficit "starvation"? Or did you mean you don't believe in starvation any more than say, the tooth fairy? Cause I assure you it exists, and has nothing at all to do with a safe and healthy caloric deficit maintained to achieve desired weight loss...

I mean I don't belive in starving yourself to lose weight ( a.k.a eating 1200 cal and thinking it is ok or getting so obsessed that you need to weight your salad).

Okay, well different caloric intakes are necessary for differently sized and aged people at different stages of weight loss. So maybe reserve your judgment for your own weight loss plan before condemning anyone at 1200 calories when you don't know anything about them, and especially be wary of making broad sweeping statement about "starving oneself" without clarifying what you mean on a post with a new member who's still working to figure this all out. Further, plenty of people, I would even say a VAST majority of MFPers, use scales for their food. It's not obsession, it's accuracy, and accuracy in logging is crucial to all of us. You make it sound like an eating disorder, and I'm not sure that wasn't your aim.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/10/26/processed-meat-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

@SLLRunner Lasting change didn't provide sources, so I dug this up for us. It looks like yes, cured meats like bacon and hot dogs have indeed been linked to cancer, but it seems like it's a small portion of overall cancers, and while it's listed in the same category as smoking, the IARC, who put out the report, has stated repeatedly that their categories are not defined by risk assessment(how dangerous it is) but by "does or does not have sufficient evidence linking to cancer". From what I read on this and other news sites, it's pretty much the same as any other situation: extreme over eaters of this stuff are in danger, but practising moderation is king. The link specifies what is moderation, and just from my own diet and those I can view of my friends, I think we're probably okay. This cancer thing seems to be pretty limited to the extremes of eating red meat every day and bacon every morning, not a steak once a week or a BLT here or there throughout the month. It's the car exhaust argument rehashed: Breathing car exhaust long enough and often enough will absolutely cause cancer, except we all breathe car exhaust and we don't all get cancer. Same deal here.

I'd like to know who's making enough dough to AFFORD to eat bacon and steak all the time. I'm in COLORADO, we have cows everywhere and it's still godawful expensive.

Its not just bacon and steak. Its cold cuts as well which is easily affordable and some eat on a daily basis. The suggestion on here was that eating frozen meals on a daily basis for your meals is okay, that doesnt seem like moderation to me.
    But I agree once in a while is fine, I dont plan to totally eliminating those foods from my diet but if someone is new on a forum and looking for a change from take out, theres other good suggestions to give.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me is usually oatmeal. This week is pumpkin pie oatmeal (pumpkin, brown sugar, pie spice, cinnamon, walnuts, quick oats). putting together containers for 5 days took me about 5-10 mins. Then all I have to do is add hot water and it will cook the oats :) Brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins is another go-to for me. Also, applesauce (or small diced apple) and cinnamon.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/10/26/processed-meat-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

@SLLRunner Lasting change didn't provide sources, so I dug this up for us. It looks like yes, cured meats like bacon and hot dogs have indeed been linked to cancer, but it seems like it's a small portion of overall cancers, and while it's listed in the same category as smoking, the IARC, who put out the report, has stated repeatedly that their categories are not defined by risk assessment(how dangerous it is) but by "does or does not have sufficient evidence linking to cancer". From what I read on this and other news sites, it's pretty much the same as any other situation: extreme over eaters of this stuff are in danger, but practising moderation is king. The link specifies what is moderation, and just from my own diet and those I can view of my friends, I think we're probably okay. This cancer thing seems to be pretty limited to the extremes of eating red meat every day and bacon every morning, not a steak once a week or a BLT here or there throughout the month. It's the car exhaust argument rehashed: Breathing car exhaust long enough and often enough will absolutely cause cancer, except we all breathe car exhaust and we don't all get cancer. Same deal here.

I'd like to know who's making enough dough to AFFORD to eat bacon and steak all the time. I'm in COLORADO, we have cows everywhere and it's still godawful expensive.

Its not just bacon and steak. Its cold cuts as well which is easily affordable and some eat on a daily basis. The suggestion on here was that eating frozen meals on a daily basis for your meals is okay, that doesnt seem like moderation to me.

And someone already piped in advising that there are certain frozen meals that are preservative free. So if it's cold cuts (which are cured meats, which I mentioned in the top line), bacon, steak, and slice ham for sandwiches, I'm not sure why you are bringing them up in reference to frozen dinners. I've never seen a frozen BLT or a frozen ham sandwich, as bread tends to get soggy that way. And yet AGAIN, I have not advocated anyone eat those things on a daily basis ;)
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    By the way regarding frozen meals. There was a recent report about how cold cuts, bacon, etc are linked to higher risk of cancer. The link is due to the perservative and processing of the meat. So not all perservatives are ok. I can understand that some people dont have a choice and need to rely on frozen meals, but it is not an ideal solution. I keep frozen meals in my fridge as a backup just in case I dont have time or whatever.

I would love to see more info about this because I know many people who eat frozen meals and are healthy.

Although I think this study of studies has been overblown a bit since it contains nothing everyone hasn't known for years (well, anyone who cared to know or had been informed, anyway), knowing people who do something and are currently healthy doesn't mean what they're doing is healthy, you know.

I'm sure you know people who smoke and are healthy, too.

Good point.
  • LastingChanges
    Options

And someone already piped in advising that there are certain frozen meals that are preservative free. So if it's cold cuts (which are cured meats, which I mentioned in the top line), bacon, steak, and slice ham for sandwiches, I'm not sure why you are bringing them up in reference to frozen dinners. I've never seen a frozen BLT or a frozen ham sandwich, as bread tends to get soggy that way. And yet AGAIN, I have not advocated anyone eat those things on a daily basis ;)

I brought it up because someone else (not you) advised the op to eat frozen meals on a daily basis for all their meals. There are frozen sandwiches, lean cuisine makes paninis not sure if those particular ones are preservative free, theres also frozen breakfast sandwiches with sausages,etc. I connected frozen meals with the study because all chemical preservatives are the same, they dont just put them in bacon.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

I brought it up because someone else (not you) advised the op to eat frozen meals on a daily basis for all their meals. There are frozen sandwiches, lean cuisine makes paninis not sure if those particular ones are preservative free, theres also frozen breakfast sandwiches with sausages,etc. I connected frozen meals with the study because all chemical preservatives are the same, they dont just put them in bacon.

And I'll just leave it there.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I think it would be unwise to expand the recent red meat recommendations to include all frozen and canned foods. It was mainly about red meat, and that highly processed red meat (bacon and deli meat) are in particular linked to cancer. Frozen breakfast sausage sandwiches might be included in the recent caution, but I wouldn't think it refers to everything with "preservatives."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    By the way regarding frozen meals. There was a recent report about how cold cuts, bacon, etc are linked to higher risk of cancer. The link is due to the perservative and processing of the meat. So not all perservatives are ok. I can understand that some people dont have a choice and need to rely on frozen meals, but it is not an ideal solution. I keep frozen meals in my fridge as a backup just in case I dont have time or whatever.

The report this was based on demonstrated an increased risk of colorectal cancer from 5% to 5.9% amongst populations eating more than 50g processed meats per day
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    swu726 wrote: »
    I don't like to prepare food. I will eat out easily if I need to spend too much time to prepare food. I need to lose 65lbs from 218.2 lbs. Please help. :#

Yes, there are easy no-prep options.

But here's the thing.....Frozen meals: Weight Watcher's, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice are going to get really old. Eventually you will lose the weight....but at maintenance (think fewer calories forever)....you will need a new game plan.

You basically don't want to do anything for weight loss........that makes you ask the question Now What? when you get to goal.
  • camill827
    camill827 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cook in bulk. I may make a pot of chili for the family to eat off of for 2 days and then make a pot of brown rice and grill a bunch of meat for the next 3 days. I always have raw apples, protein bars, egg whites and peanut butter. I also bake once a week and its usually something with whey protein in it. Mind you I work over 40 hours a week, and I workout 5-6 days a week and still make family functions and my house is very clean with 2 kiddos, a hubby and a kitty :) You can do it. You can change if you are willing to make the effort. THey say it takes 6 weeks to form a habit. take that time and start planning. there is no way around it. you have to meal prep every week to be successful. Eating out once to once every other week is ok but whole food choices need to be your best options and your consistent options.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Breakfast for me is usually oatmeal. This week is pumpkin pie oatmeal (pumpkin, brown sugar, pie spice, cinnamon, walnuts, quick oats). putting together containers for 5 days took me about 5-10 mins. Then all I have to do is add hot water and it will cook the oats :) Brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins is another go-to for me. Also, applesauce (or small diced apple) and cinnamon.

Yum! This^

I mixed a can of pumpkin puree with sugar (Truvia) and spices....then divided into 8 zip-lock containers. I store in the freezer. Cook 5 minute oats for 2:30....then add pumpkin mixture and finish cooking.

Another breakfast prep; Measure some high fiber cereal & nuts into a ziplock sandwich bag. Then in the a.m. stir your baggie into Greek yogurt. Protein, fat & fiber.

Grill a bunch of chicken breast for the week. Portion into zip-lock baggies. I store in the freezer. I add this to bagged salad for lunch. One week is Caesar, the next is Taco, the next is Harvest.....add nuts, fruit, croutons, cheese, or seeds. Change it up each week.

Place boneless skinless chicken in a crock-pot. Add a jar of salsa and taco seasoning to taste. After a couple hours on high....shred chicken with a fork. Lots of tastey chicken meat for tacos, burritos, etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Get over it and start liking it. Or success is not in your future. I don't like to go to work everyday but, I do.

This. I sucked it up and learned to cook.

But easy things? Buy some protein and cook it in a pan, add some frozen veggies, and you're done.
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Also, OP, the crockpot could be your friend. Drop stuff in and leave it until it's done. You can find a ton of easy recipe ideas online.

This is what I was going to say. I love my crockpot and use it all year long.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    TracyeS4 wrote: »
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    I am right there with you, not into cooking or preparing food at all. 117lbs lost so far, quick easy meals that are tasty and sustainable for me are key!

My go to meal is always the same. I buy the multi grain pocket pitas in the bread aisle (100 calories), stuff with half a slice of cheese (35 cals), and 2 oz of whatever deli meat I want.. usually Turkey or Ham (50 cals) and stick it in the toaster oven for 5 mins. Ooey gooey melty cheesy yummy sandwich. I weigh everything out for accuracy, and always eat it with .8 oz of Sunchips (112 cals). Perfect no cook meal for me. If you want to watch the sodium you can sub out the deli meat for chicken breast (bake in the oven, cut it up, store in baggies). Meal under 300 calories. You can sub the chips for veggies.. but I don't!

You can use different flavors of cheese, meats, add extra stuff in if you want sauce whatever. Always mix it up, but its an easy quick meal that takes me about 5-7 min to prepare including heat up time.

I recommend provolone and pepperoni, nom nom nom!

Yup, I will be stealing that. Yum

Heck I am stealing that for my kids. Pizza pockets or ham and cheddar melts yo!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom and often am thinking of dinner for not just me but the kids and husband as well. Due to food interactions of my daughter we rarely go out. Much of our dinners are cooked from scratch or close to that. Here are my gotos for dinner when I don't feel like cooking

breakfast for dinner. We have omlets. Many leftovers are great in an omlet. I can make them individually. Kids get cheese, ham, etc. I will have a couple of eggs, tons of whatever veggies are in the drawer (I almost always have spinach, onions). pile on salsa. I ususally have individual guacamole things in the fridge (100 calories). nothing wrong with cereal &/or yogurt, either

Rotisserie chicken and caesar salads. Take a big bowl and make a salad to order for everyone. Mine is simple and probably has no cheese or croutons. All I have to do is a loop about the grocery and I can grab this dinner. We use a yogurt caesar dressing not a full fat one.

quesidilla. Again lots of leftovers can go in here fine. Mine will have only enough cheese to "weld it together"

Can of soup and grilled cheese

Wendy's drive thru. Not my proudest moment but we all like Wendy's chili and a small isn't too bag on calories. Add a plain potato if you are straving. If I'm going to drive thru, this is the only option.

I hope this helps