Nutrition Info question

Options
This has been bugging me for awhile and before anyone asks I have searched the Internet and asked everyone I can think of but can not find a satisfactory answer so here is my question: Food companies are required to list the ingredients on the labels for their product but can just list " natural and or artifical flavors" without having to say what those flavors contain or are made of. Why do they not have to list what these flavors, artifical or natural, contain?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Basically, in the finished product the flavors are often a fraction of a percentage of the ingredients.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Buy grass-fed beef whenever possible.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This has been bugging me for awhile and before anyone asks I have searched the Internet and asked everyone I can think of but can not find a satisfactory answer so here is my question: Food companies are required to list the ingredients on the labels for their product but can just list " natural and or artifical flavors" without having to say what those flavors contain or are made of. Why do they not have to list what these flavors, artifical or natural, contain?

to save having to attach a toilet roll long label to each product ? would we understand anyway ? The EU have a sceme of E numbers which at least makes the label smaller.

w2-sandwich-ingredients.jpg