Should I cut carbs?

Options
Hi. I'm 131 lbs and 5 foot 6. My goal weight is 120. I'm currently eating about 1,100 cals a day because I'm a college student and I'm not all too active. I've plateaued pretty hard the last few weeks and I wonder if it's because I consistently eat too many carbs. I know I do. I'm a vegetarian so I find it hard to hit my protein goal. Could cutting bread and pasta help me break free of the flat line?

Replies

• anicamwagner
    anicamwagner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What ever you do don't completely cut out carbs! Still eat at least the recommend amount. Carbs are essential for body function, 40% of the carbs you consume go straight to the brain-that's what it runs on. Carbs are also easy energy for the body to digest. You could try switching out some carbs for protein in a meal, just try and consume more nuts or tofu or whatever preferred protien you enjoy. There is protien in rice and beans (eating them together ensures you're getting all nine of the essential proteins). Chicken eggs are a great source of protein, they contain all nine essential amino acids and the body absorbs 100% of it. Also, I don't know how much you exercising, but increasing your workout should help break the plateaue. You eat to keep functioning while exercising should be used to lose weight. And if you are working out great, remember that muscle weights more than fat. Hope this was helpful. :)
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As above don't cut them out completely it all depends on the type of carbs you're eating. Things like pasta and bread (especially white) are simple carbs. So firstly try switching to brown/wholegrain and cutting down where you can. Things like having oatmeal instead of toast for breakfast as it is slow release so will keep you fuller for longer. Its about keeping your blood sugar levels as normal as possible without creating peaks and troughs throughout the day. This is what makes you feel hungry and lethargic and encourages eating more sugary foods for energy. This gives you an idea of what I mean.
    wjq90ihpvuep.jpg
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    ihaterocks wrote: »
    Hi. I'm 131 lbs and 5 foot 6. My goal weight is 120. I'm currently eating about 1,100 cals a day because I'm a college student and I'm not all too active. I've plateaued pretty hard the last few weeks and I wonder if it's because I consistently eat too many carbs. I know I do. I'm a vegetarian so I find it hard to hit my protein goal. Could cutting bread and pasta help me break free of the flat line?

If you are not eating enough protein, you need to reduce either carbs or fat.
    Low cal sources of protein include eggs, soy milk, lentil or bean soups, endame, Greek yogurt.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I would say add fibrous veggies. Carbs are not evil. Although I am a moderate carb eater, that may seem contradictory.

Empty sugar calories are all I restrict for nutritional reasons

At 1100 calories it would seem
    You would slowly burn off body fat.

Getting a little more active probably would do it.

When you are down to the last bit of body fat to drop, it can seem tough. Don't give up or question what has worked so far. Maybe just add some calorie burn off
    With activity.

• ShelbyBrady2015
    ShelbyBrady2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good for you! Carbs, fats, and proteins! Just make the right choices. White bread is not a good carb but 100% whole grain is. It's all about making the wise choices and eating desent portions.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you've plateaued, meaning 4-6 weeks with no change on the scale, it sounds like you're eating more than 1100 calories (which is too low for someone your age/size anyway). Adjust your goal to half a pound a week and tighten up your logging (make sure you log everything you consume, utilize a food scale to weigh everything, being mindful of the exercise calories given). Too many carbs aren't the culprit, too many calories are.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Tofu is extremely low in calories and high in protein. Look up some tips on how to cook it because otherwise you won't like the texture. It doesn't have flavor so it works well in any dish. Plus it's cheap. I also love seitan for the same reason and it makes a great substitute for chicken. I can't do the texture of tempeh but it's another meat alternative. I prefer to buy those products than boca or others because they are cheaper, less processed, and "real food".
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you've plateaued, meaning 4-6 weeks with no change on the scale, it sounds like you're eating more than 1100 calories (which is too low for someone your age/size anyway). Adjust your goal to half a pound a week and tighten up your logging (make sure you log everything you consume, utilize a food scale to weigh everything, being mindful of the exercise calories given). Too many carbs aren't the culprit, too many calories are.

This.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

eating carbs in a calorie deficit will not make you gain weight, unless you have some undiagnosed medical condition.

The better question is why is a 18 year old female only eating 1100 calories a day? You should be eating 1200, minimum.

Also, if your profile picture is you, why are you trying to lose 11 pounds? It looks like you would benefit from a small deficit and some kind of strength training regimen.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Roony02 wrote: »
    As above don't cut them out completely it all depends on the type of carbs you're eating. Things like pasta and bread (especially white) are simple carbs. So firstly try switching to brown/wholegrain and cutting down where you can. Things like having oatmeal instead of toast for breakfast as it is slow release so will keep you fuller for longer. Its about keeping your blood sugar levels as normal as possible without creating peaks and troughs throughout the day. This is what makes you feel hungry and lethargic and encourages eating more sugary foods for energy. This gives you an idea of what I mean.
    wjq90ihpvuep.jpg

so OP should avoid protein too because insulin spikes?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Real world glucose data :-
    dst-01-0695-g001.jpg
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    YES! Keep carbs below 120/day (100 even better). See how it goes, as you may even want to explore Keto at some point. Most folks eat way too many carbs, and eventually it catches up with every one of them. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

eating carbs in a calorie deficit will not make you gain weight, unless you have some undiagnosed medical condition.

The better question is why is a 18 year old female only eating 1100 calories a day? You should be eating 1200, minimum.

Also, if your profile picture is you, why are you trying to lose 11 pounds? It looks like you would benefit from a small deficit and some kind of strength training regimen.

This. At your weight going too low is going to be counterproductive -- if you aren't happy with your body it's likely more of a composition issue, and eating a true 1100 (especially without much activity) is just likely to cause disproportionate loss of muscle mass. Better to eat closer to maintenance (or at least a much milder deficit) and do some strength training.
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Is that realistically how you're planning on eating for the rest of your life? What happens after you hit your goal weight and go into the many, many years of maintenance?

I'm 5'6 and my maintenance range is 120-125lbs, no exercise currently, (37 yrs old). I eat all the foods I enjoy, just in moderation.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    What ever you do don't completely cut out carbs! Still eat at least the recommend amount. Carbs are essential for body function, 40% of the carbs you consume go straight to the brain-that's what it runs on. Carbs are also easy energy for the body to digest. You could try switching out some carbs for protein in a meal, just try and consume more nuts or tofu or whatever preferred protien you enjoy. There is protien in rice and beans (eating them together ensures you're getting all nine of the essential proteins). Chicken eggs are a great source of protein, they contain all nine essential amino acids and the body absorbs 100% of it. Also, I don't know how much you exercising, but increasing your workout should help break the plateaue. You eat to keep functioning while exercising should be used to lose weight. And if you are working out great, remember that muscle weights more than fat. Hope this was helpful. :)

That just isn't true. There is no need to eat carbs to get the minimal glucose required for bodily functions. Your body can easily make it from the protein you consume, or your muscles (not good). Most people only need about 30-150g of glucose per day (depending on your source). The body is easily able to make that. I know of a few people who consume virtually no carbs, and have done so for years, and they are fine and healthy.

That being said, there is no harm is swapping fats or protein for bread or other starchy carbs. I wouldn't cut your calories any more. You are pretty close to goal and that's probably why your losses have slowed.

Perhaps cutting carbs will help. Sometimes a change can kick start losses again. I find almost any change in eating (macros or calories) can get things moving again.

Good luck.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

That just isn't true. There is no need to eat carbs to get the minimal glucose required for bodily functions. Your body can easily make it from the protein you consume, or your muscles (not good). Most people only need about 30-150g of glucose per day (depending on your source). The body is easily able to make that. I know of a few people who consume virtually no carbs, and have done so for years, and they are fine and healthy.

That being said, there is no harm is swapping fats or protein for bread or other starchy carbs. I wouldn't cut your calories any more. You are pretty close to goal and that's probably why your losses have slowed.

Perhaps cutting carbs will help. Sometimes a change can kick start losses again. I find almost any change in eating (macros or calories) can get things moving again.

Good luck.

sorry, but the bolded part is just not true. If OP is truly eating 1100 calories a day, how is cutting carbs and continuing to eat at 1100 going to result in any faster weight of loss?

1100 calories at 30% intake of carbs vs 1100 calories at 15% intake of carbs is not going to make a difference.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Good luck.

sorry, but the bolded part is just not true. If OP is truly eating 1100 calories a day, how is cutting carbs and continuing to eat at 1100 going to result in any faster weight of loss?

1100 calories at 30% intake of carbs vs 1100 calories at 15% intake of carbs is not going to make a difference.

Well technically you would deplete glycogen so you would get water weight loss, ha.

OP, if you are counting calories, the biggest reason for not losing is inaccurate and inconsistent logging. I would question why you think 1100 calories is a good target.

Can you open your diary and do you exercise?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

it could make a difference. Best way is to try. Individual response to macro composition is not a constant.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Roony02 wrote: »
    wjq90ihpvuep.jpg

so OP should avoid protein too because insulin spikes?

No, as far as I'm aware it's only high sugar foods that create such high spikes
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Your target weight is just above "BMI 19, ie underweight" so your body will defend itself from that situation. I do find low sugar helps me naturally make more nutritious choices and thus loose weight. Not low carb as we need fibre so green leafy veg and berries are awesome. As a vegetarian you will be eating carbs through beans to get protein. Low sugar helps reduce insulin spikes. Try looking at Glycemic Index of food and ensure you get all your nutrients. Easy to be low in vitamin D and B12 which we really need to be healthy. Cutting your calories further is not advised (in fact, strangely more calories as above may help as you would then have enough energy to exercise). Good luck.