Should I cut carbs?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Since no one seemed to ask.... OP open your diary, so that we can see your level of accuracy relative to intake.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Roony02 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    What ever you do don't completely cut out carbs! Still eat at least the recommend amount. Carbs are essential for body function, 40% of the carbs you consume go straight to the brain-that's what it runs on. Carbs are also easy energy for the body to digest. You could try switching out some carbs for protein in a meal, just try and consume more nuts or tofu or whatever preferred protien you enjoy. There is protien in rice and beans (eating them together ensures you're getting all nine of the essential proteins). Chicken eggs are a great source of protein, they contain all nine essential amino acids and the body absorbs 100% of it. Also, I don't know how much you exercising, but increasing your workout should help break the plateaue. You eat to keep functioning while exercising should be used to lose weight. And if you are working out great, remember that muscle weights more than fat. Hope this was helpful. :)

That just isn't true. There is no need to eat carbs to get the minimal glucose required for bodily functions. Your body can easily make it from the protein you consume, or your muscles (not good). Most people only need about 30-150g of glucose per day (depending on your source). The body is easily able to make that. I know of a few people who consume virtually no carbs, and have done so for years, and they are fine and healthy.

That being said, there is no harm is swapping fats or protein for bread or other starchy carbs. I wouldn't cut your calories any more. You are pretty close to goal and that's probably why your losses have slowed.

Perhaps cutting carbs will help. Sometimes a change can kick start losses again. I find almost any change in eating (macros or calories) can get things moving again.

Good luck.

sorry, but the bolded part is just not true. If OP is truly eating 1100 calories a day, how is cutting carbs and continuing to eat at 1100 going to result in any faster weight of loss?

1100 calories at 30% intake of carbs vs 1100 calories at 15% intake of carbs is not going to make a difference.

It has been true for me in the past. A change in macros or calories seems to often result in sudden losses for me. A whoosh.

Please note that I did not guarantee that a change in macros or calories (maybe more in this case) would kick start losses. I said "perhaps".
    As above don't cut them out completely it all depends on the type of carbs you're eating. Things like pasta and bread (especially white) are simple carbs. So firstly try switching to brown/wholegrain and cutting down where you can. Things like having oatmeal instead of toast for breakfast as it is slow release so will keep you fuller for longer. Its about keeping your blood sugar levels as normal as possible without creating peaks and troughs throughout the day. This is what makes you feel hungry and lethargic and encourages eating more sugary foods for energy. This gives you an idea of what I mean.
    wjq90ihpvuep.jpg

so OP should avoid protein too because insulin spikes?

No, as far as I'm aware it's only high sugar foods that create such high spikes
    protein causes a similar spike...

How does protein cause a spike in blood glucose levels???

It is generally a smaller spike and over a longer period of time. Protein can be converted to glucose but it isn't as extreme as a BG spike from carbs.

Exactly so I certainly wasnt suggesting they give up protein too

well if it spikes insulin it should be avoided right, or are you revising your statement?

Nope, my suggestion was to avoid insulin spikes from eating simple carbs. Never mentioned protein as I know they don't affect your blood glucose levels to the same level as carbs. It seems you're trying to put words in my mouth rather than help the OP.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Nope, my suggestion was to avoid insulin spikes from eating simple carbs. Never mentioned protein as I know they don't affect your blood glucose levels to the same level as carbs. It seems you're trying to put words in my mouth rather than help the OP.

Ultimate, the context of ones total diet is more important than XX food or YY food. There is nothing wrong with simple carbs. BG, in a person without a medical issue, will be easily regulated.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What ever you do don't completely cut out carbs! Still eat at least the recommend amount. Carbs are essential for body function, 40% of the carbs you consume go straight to the brain-that's what it runs on. Carbs are also easy energy for the body to digest. You could try switching out some carbs for protein in a meal, just try and consume more nuts or tofu or whatever preferred protien you enjoy. There is protien in rice and beans (eating them together ensures you're getting all nine of the essential proteins). Chicken eggs are a great source of protein, they contain all nine essential amino acids and the body absorbs 100% of it. Also, I don't know how much you exercising, but increasing your workout should help break the plateaue. You eat to keep functioning while exercising should be used to lose weight. And if you are working out great, remember that muscle weights more than fat. Hope this was helpful. :)

That just isn't true. There is no need to eat carbs to get the minimal glucose required for bodily functions. Your body can easily make it from the protein you consume, or your muscles (not good). Most people only need about 30-150g of glucose per day (depending on your source). The body is easily able to make that. I know of a few people who consume virtually no carbs, and have done so for years, and they are fine and healthy.

That being said, there is no harm is swapping fats or protein for bread or other starchy carbs. I wouldn't cut your calories any more. You are pretty close to goal and that's probably why your losses have slowed.

Perhaps cutting carbs will help. Sometimes a change can kick start losses again. I find almost any change in eating (macros or calories) can get things moving again.

Good luck.

sorry, but the bolded part is just not true. If OP is truly eating 1100 calories a day, how is cutting carbs and continuing to eat at 1100 going to result in any faster weight of loss?

1100 calories at 30% intake of carbs vs 1100 calories at 15% intake of carbs is not going to make a difference.

It has been true for me in the past. A change in macros or calories seems to often result in sudden losses for me. A whoosh.

Please note that I did not guarantee that a change in macros or calories (maybe more in this case) would kick start losses. I said "perhaps".
    As above don't cut them out completely it all depends on the type of carbs you're eating. Things like pasta and bread (especially white) are simple carbs. So firstly try switching to brown/wholegrain and cutting down where you can. Things like having oatmeal instead of toast for breakfast as it is slow release so will keep you fuller for longer. Its about keeping your blood sugar levels as normal as possible without creating peaks and troughs throughout the day. This is what makes you feel hungry and lethargic and encourages eating more sugary foods for energy. This gives you an idea of what I mean.
    wjq90ihpvuep.jpg

It is generally a smaller spike and over a longer period of time. Protein can be converted to glucose but it isn't as extreme as a BG spike from carbs.

well if it spikes insulin it should be avoided right, or are you revising your statement?

Ok, so because protein creates a similar insulin spike, in your opinion, it should be avoided, right?

or are you denying that protein creates a similar spike?
  • Roony02
    Options

Good luck.

wjq90ihpvuep.jpg

Ok, so because protein creates a similar insulin spike, in your opinion, it should be avoided, right?

Again nope, as I dont know. But if protein did create a similar spike I'd rather it be from consuming protein than simple carbs. I've never experienced an insulin crash from consuming protein, the same cant be said for simple carbs. I'm not claiming to be an expert only that by avoiding consumption of simple carbs like chocolate etc will help to maintain BG levels and thefore help prevent hunger cravings for sugary foods and low energy levels later in the day.

An extract from something I just read "Protein has a minimal effect on blood glucose levels" or from a seperate article from a totally different website "Compared to carbohydrates, protein keeps blood sugar levels steady."

I'm happy to read any evidence that protein does cause similar BG level spikes to carbs though ;)
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    No, you should cut calories. We see this question almost every day here about cutting out bread and pasta. It seems to be a popular myth in the anglosphere that the only way to lose weight is by doing this. In reality some people get on better with a low carb diet (either because of some food intolerance, diabetes, or they love their cheese, cream and other fats more than bread and pasta). In your case I would simply cut back the calories slightly and see where you are in a few weeks, you can try cutting these calories by eating less bread and pasta if you like.
  • Roony02
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Ultimate, the context of ones total diet is more important than XX food or YY food. There is nothing wrong with simple carbs. BG, in a person without a medical issue, will be easily regulated.

Everything is OK in moderation ;)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Moderation had a downer recently http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151030161347.htm
  • Roony02
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Moderation had a downer recently http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151030161347.htm

Well perhaps where they quote "There is nothing wrong with simple carbs" is a bold statement?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sarajvz wrote: »
    ihaterocks wrote: »
    Hi. I'm 131 lbs and 5 foot 6. My goal weight is 120. I'm currently eating about 1,100 cals a day because I'm a college student and I'm not all too active. I've plateaued pretty hard the last few weeks and I wonder if it's because I consistently eat too many carbs. I know I do. I'm a vegetarian so I find it hard to hit my protein goal. Could cutting bread and pasta help me break free of the flat line?

Perhaps your body likes being at that nice healthy weight?
    I worry when a young woman says she's eating a tiny amount of calories (less than I eat as a menopausal woman of the same height), is vegetarian, and now wants to cut carbs.

Perhaps doing some weight training would be healthier than further restricting your weight to get to a very LOW vanity weight?

120lbs for someone who is 5ft 6in is still a healthy weight/normal bmi (19.4). Someone at that height can get down to 115lbs and still be a healthy weight/normal bmi. Just wanted to point that out, because there's people who are doing fine at that height/weight range, me included :)

I didn't say she would be unhealthy, or below a healthy BMI.
    I'm 5'6" and I was at the lower end of a healthy BMI for eons. I didn't limit calories to 1,100 to be there however. If the OP is having to cut calories that drastically...perhaps it's NOT the right answer for her particular body.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Good luck.

wjq90ihpvuep.jpg

Again nope, as I dont know. But if protein did create a similar spike I'd rather it be from consuming protein than simple carbs. I've never experienced an insulin crash from consuming protein, the same cant be said for simple carbs. I'm not claiming to be an expert only that by avoiding consumption of simple carbs like chocolate etc will help to maintain BG levels and thefore help prevent hunger cravings for sugary foods and low energy levels later in the day.

An extract from something I just read "Protein has a minimal effect on blood glucose levels" or from a seperate article from a totally different website "Compared to carbohydrates, protein keeps blood sugar levels steady."

I'm happy to read any evidence that protein does cause similar BG level spikes to carbs though ;)

I already provided you with the literature up thread, but here it is again.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

so you are saying that if protein and carbs cause a similar insulin spike, that the protein spike is ok but the carb spike is not, because simple carbs???

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Carbs - insulin and blood glucose rise, glucose stored. Protein - insulin and glucagon rise, blood glucose stays the same, no storage.

Dietary protein is necessary, dietary carbohydrate is optional. Ingestion of carbohydrates suppresses fat oxidation. Fat oxidation in excess of intake is required for fat loss. Conclusion - protein good (in moderation), carbs not so good.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I would advise you not to worry about carbs and instead focus on more accurately accounting for caloric intake. TDEE for someone your age/height/weight is around 1,400-1,600 calories a day even at the most sedentary levels.
  • Roony02
    Options
    What he said ^^^^ I never said that protein and carb spikes are similar because they are not
  • Roony02
    Options
    Also I was referring to BG levels not insulin
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    No, you should cut calories. We see this question almost every day here about cutting out bread and pasta. It seems to be a popular myth in the anglosphere that the only way to lose weight is by doing this. In reality some people get on better with a low carb diet (either because of some food intolerance, diabetes, or they love their cheese, cream and other fats more than bread and pasta). In your case I would simply cut back the calories slightly and see where you are in a few weeks, you can try cutting these calories by eating less bread and pasta if you like.

assuming OP is accurately counting calories she stated that she is only eating 1100 a day, cutting any more calories is a horrible suggestion, and not safe.
  • Roony02
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

assuming OP is accurately counting calories she stated that she is only eating 1100 a day, cutting any more calories is a horrible suggestion, and not safe.

Now that I agree with :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I would advise you not to worry about carbs and instead focus on more accurately accounting for caloric intake. TDEE for someone your age/height/weight is around 1,400-1,600 calories a day even at the most sedentary levels.
    That's probably closer to her BMR than her TDEE. But yes, accurate logging for loggers is important!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Cool, last time I asked for any kind of actual study of moderation showing effectiveness, the response was completely devoid of science supporting the moderation advice offered here constantly and with great confidence. Less food diversity was associated with better weight and health outcomes.

Or in other words, feel free to decrease the carb intake and see how it works for YOUR body!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Wow. Fascinating link. Thanks for that.