grrr, face getting too thin, but still have belly fat

Options
Getting more and more people commenting on my thinness, and I've always had quite a narrow face so I guess I'm looking a bit gaunt (my photo was from three months ago, when I was around 3 kilos heavier). The thing is I can still pinch an inch on my belly, and although not noticeble when I'm dressed (unless wearing a tight t-shirt - which I don't do), it still bothers me and I want to get it flat. My BMI is 23.2 and body fat 19%. I'll probably continue my calorie deficit until I get down to 15% bf, and just ignore 'concerned' comments and questions about my health - it's still annoying though. I guess for people with narrow faces, the only option to have a six-pack AND a full face is lipo on the belly - and I'm not going to go there.

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I'm the same but would not have lipo either, no idea what my bf is. At 4'11'' and small frame/features I got down to 97lb and my body looked ok, was pleased with the results, but my face - well, haggard is one word my partner used to describe it; he kept mentioning it so I put some lbs back on to shut him up as the comments were getting to me. Now I'm back here with a flabby belly at 107lb trying to lose again and this time will go with whether I'm happy with it. He's at least 15lb overweight himself, doesn't see it or want to do anything about it, but I daren't mention it or he gets annoyed. He has lost about 20lb which is great and brought his cholesterol down to a safe level but he thinks that's enough, can do what he likes now, but it'll most probably go back up again if he's not careful.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    lipo isn't the only option.... you could get fat injections in your face

http://www.smartbeautyguide.com/procedures/injectables/fat-transfer

:lol:
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

not likely :D
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    instead of trying to lose weight why not try doing some resistance training.

That helps with the "fat" look you are both talking about.

scale weight isn't the end all to be all. Neither is BF% or BMI

you need to take all factors into consideration including health.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

yeah, I'm doing weight training, but there aren't that many muscles on the face you can build :( Hoping to get bigger shoulders and trapezius though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

yeah, I'm doing weight training, but there aren't that many muscles on the face you can build :( Hoping to get bigger shoulders and trapezius though.

but your talking about fat on your belly...not your face.

to lose fat it's about diet but the resistance training helps maintain muscle while losing fat.

Often times people aren't used to seeing you "thin faced" and it's not their normal...as long as you aren't starving yourself and getting in an unhealthy frame of mind (wanting to be too thin) they will get used to it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. People at work are constantly commenting on how much weight I've lost because they're primarily looking at my face, which always gets very thin. If they could see what the lower half of me looks like they would shut up quick! If I were to keep losing weight until my butt/legs are thinned out I swear my head would just be a skull. :neutral:
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I got to the same point. I was starting to look gaunt but still have quite a high BF%, I've realised that I just don't currently have the muscle to keep dropping weight. I may get down to 15% BF, but I think the other 85% will mostly be my skeleton and organs.
    I have decided to just stick at where I am for a bit, go in to maintenance and really work on my strength training. Going to give it at least 6 months of maintenance and progressive lifting and then see where I am at the end of that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    But are you lifting heavy?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If you really have an localized area of fat there are non-surgical options (still expensive and still some pain involved) to reduce fat under the skin. Google Coll Sculpting (and there is a sonic version too). This is rather dramatic though and I suspect that you will get used to your new face.
  • IcyL0ve
    IcyL0ve Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My face always swells when I eat salt lol if you do, just don't have too much cause it's not good for your kidneys.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

not likely :D

lol..good answer...I have the same issue, which is made worse by the paleness of my face......best bet is to just keep working your midsection, and all the areas connected to it...and to lift heavy often....the more you lift, the more fat will be torched, and the muscle underneath will be more visible.....you may have some extra skin which seems like fat, and that might not go away....some things we won't be able to change...in that case, unless you are into sticking needles in yourself which you seem smarter than, the only real option is to be honest with yourself, and to love yourself. There is a very good chance it will all even out/balance out with time as well. Good luck xo
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have also gone with the grow a beard option. :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I got down to a weight that was 'healthy'. Losing more weight would likely not cause my stomach to stop being flabby yet would certainly make my face and neck look positively gaunt. I stopped losing and started lifting - my tummy is thanking me for it! :)
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Grow a beard! I'm about 30 lbs in on my weight loss, and most people don't notice, because my face looks pretty much the same (bearded).
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The lifting heavy will also help you get a bigger neck. Now, of course, a neck can be too big. But, my husband had this same issue. Before he started lifting heavy, he just lost weight primarily through running -- he was down to 200 lbs or so on a 6'5" frame (from 225 or so) and was quite unhappy with how gaunt his cheeks were - -he too has a narrow face.

Over 2 years or so, he put on more muscle and reduced his body fat -- he's now 235 or so and his neck is definitely much bigger as he had to get all new dress shirts. But, it's not too big. He's finally just not a tall skinny guy -- he probably put on the most bulk in his back and legs, but still noticeably bigger in his neck, shoulders, chest, arms, etc. And getting the extra girth on his neck, traps, shoulders, etc. also somewhat translated to his face -- he doesn't look nearly as gaunt anymore even though is body fat is actually lower than it was at 200 lbs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The lifting heavy will also help you get a bigger neck. Now, of course, a neck can be too big. But, my husband had this same issue. Before he started lifting heavy, he just lost weight primarily through running -- he was down to 200 lbs or so on a 6'5" frame (from 225 or so) and was quite unhappy with how gaunt his cheeks were - -he too has a narrow face.

Over 2 years or so, he put on more muscle and reduced his body fat -- he's now 235 or so and his neck is definitely much bigger as he had to get all new dress shirts. But, it's not too big. He's finally just not a tall skinny guy -- he probably put on the most bulk in his back and legs, but still noticeably bigger in his neck, shoulders, chest, arms, etc. And getting the extra girth on his neck, traps, shoulders, etc. also somewhat translated to his face -- he doesn't look nearly as gaunt anymore even though is body fat is actually lower than it was at 200 lbs.

Really? My neck as gotten smaller as I lose weight even with lifting heavy. Luckily it didn't get bigger; it would have looked really odd if everything else was shrinking but my neck was increasing!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds awfully inelegant. You mean that you can't totally control the shape of your own body? ;)

Lift heavier.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I wish this were my problem. My face and chin seem to be the last place fat wants to go away from. I use to have a very skinny face but, after gaining weight and kidney disease I fear my face will always look plumper than I am.