grrr, face getting too thin, but still have belly fat

2»

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    The lifting heavy will also help you get a bigger neck. Now, of course, a neck can be too big. But, my husband had this same issue. Before he started lifting heavy, he just lost weight primarily through running -- he was down to 200 lbs or so on a 6'5" frame (from 225 or so) and was quite unhappy with how gaunt his cheeks were - -he too has a narrow face.

Over 2 years or so, he put on more muscle and reduced his body fat -- he's now 235 or so and his neck is definitely much bigger as he had to get all new dress shirts. But, it's not too big. He's finally just not a tall skinny guy -- he probably put on the most bulk in his back and legs, but still noticeably bigger in his neck, shoulders, chest, arms, etc. And getting the extra girth on his neck, traps, shoulders, etc. also somewhat translated to his face -- he doesn't look nearly as gaunt anymore even though is body fat is actually lower than it was at 200 lbs.

Really? My neck as gotten smaller as I lose weight even with lifting heavy. Luckily it didn't get bigger; it would have looked really odd if everything else was shrinking but my neck was increasing!

I think it depends on your starting point. I was talking about someone that was already a healthy weight but a thin face (like the OP), not someone that was really overweight as a starting point.

Yes, if you're significantly overweight, I'm sure you carry some of that extra fat in your neck, so your neck will overall get smaller as you lose that weight. But if you're already a healthy weight and not that muscular and start lifting heavy, your neck will get bigger from all the trap/upper back work from the increased muscle mass. I think the traps and lower back (from deadlifts/squats) were the most obvious biggest increasers at first for my husband. His slowest to grow/bulk have been his lats, but that's probably also because his initial routine didn't stress lats as much as other back muscles.

• lindsey1979
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    which particular exercise is best for building the neck? I do a modified StrongLifts 5x5 programme, with incline press and chin-ups added. I've done shoulder-shrugs to try and build my traps in the past, but it's always been a slow/no growth area for me.

For major lifts, probably deadlifts as they're major stabilizers for that lift. You're pulling 300+lbs, you'll have some decent traps. My husband's increased a lot just from the full body lifting programs --- he started on Starting Strength (and Stronglifts is pretty much a rip off of SS) and then switched later to 5-3-1. But, he saw plenty of trap increase on the basic SS program before he started adding in much accessory lifts.

For accessory lifts, shrugs (barbell/dumbell), farmer walk and rows (barbell in particular).
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    which particular exercise is best for building the neck? I do a modified StrongLifts 5x5 programme, with incline press and chin-ups added. I've done shoulder-shrugs to try and build my traps in the past, but it's always been a slow/no growth area for me.

For major lifts, probably deadlifts as they're major stabilizers for that lift. You're pulling 300+lbs, you'll have some decent traps. My husband's increased a lot just from the full body lifting programs --- he started on Starting Strength (and Stronglifts is pretty much a rip off of SS) and then switched later to 5-3-1. But, he saw plenty of trap increase on the basic SS program before he started adding in much accessory lifts.

For accessory lifts, shrugs (barbell/dumbell), farmer walk and rows (barbell in particular).

Thanks Lindsay, sounds like your husband has his own personal trainer too, lucky guy
  • lindsey1979

Thanks Lindsay, sounds like your husband has his own personal trainer too, lucky guy

More like the other way around -- he's been the one more or less training me. I'm just passing along the info we've both learned along the way. I think reading Starting Strength was probably the best value of any of our investments (that and building our own home gym -- upfront cost, but the time savings and longterm costs are so worth it to us). Even if you don't follow the SS program, the detail on form is amazing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    The lifting heavy will also help you get a bigger neck. Now, of course, a neck can be too big. But, my husband had this same issue. Before he started lifting heavy, he just lost weight primarily through running -- he was down to 200 lbs or so on a 6'5" frame (from 225 or so) and was quite unhappy with how gaunt his cheeks were - -he too has a narrow face.

Over 2 years or so, he put on more muscle and reduced his body fat -- he's now 235 or so and his neck is definitely much bigger as he had to get all new dress shirts. But, it's not too big. He's finally just not a tall skinny guy -- he probably put on the most bulk in his back and legs, but still noticeably bigger in his neck, shoulders, chest, arms, etc. And getting the extra girth on his neck, traps, shoulders, etc. also somewhat translated to his face -- he doesn't look nearly as gaunt anymore even though is body fat is actually lower than it was at 200 lbs.

Really? My neck as gotten smaller as I lose weight even with lifting heavy. Luckily it didn't get bigger; it would have looked really odd if everything else was shrinking but my neck was increasing!

I think it depends on your starting point. I was talking about someone that was already a healthy weight but a thin face (like the OP), not someone that was really overweight as a starting point.

Yes, if you're significantly overweight, I'm sure you carry some of that extra fat in your neck, so your neck will overall get smaller as you lose that weight. But if you're already a healthy weight and not that muscular and start lifting heavy, your neck will get bigger from all the trap/upper back work from the increased muscle mass. I think the traps and lower back (from deadlifts/squats) were the most obvious biggest increasers at first for my husband. His slowest to grow/bulk have been his lats, but that's probably also because his initial routine didn't stress lats as much as other back muscles.

Ah yes, you mean eating at a surplus while lifting to increase muscle mass. Yes, that makes more sense.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Wow, that sounds awfully inelegant. You mean that you can't totally control the shape of your own body? ;)

cb017806ace9e294c2b775fcee7b85e5.jpg

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds awfully inelegant. You mean that you can't totally control the shape of your own body? ;)

cb017806ace9e294c2b775fcee7b85e5.jpg

:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Why have you modified stronglifts...are you an experienced lifter?

Are you eating adequate protein and progressing in your workouts ?

How are you measuring your BF? 19% is quite high for a male lifter...how much weight have you got left to lose?

You might not want to build your shoulders too much cos you might risk looking like a pinhead
  • hamlet1222
    Thanks rabbit

>Why have you modified stronglifts...are you an experienced lifter?
    Because I like doing chin ups and the incline bench press because I feel it hits the upper chest more than flat. I've been lifting on and off for 20 years

> Are you eating adequate protein and progressing in your workouts ?
    150g/day, yes, gaining reps most workouts

How are you measuring your BF? 19% is quite high for a male lifter...how much weight have you got left to lose?
    >digital scales, every morning, averaged over the week. Not sure how much weight to lose honestly, more focussed on bf%.

You might not want to build your shoulders too much cos you might risk looking like a pinhead
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Thanks rabbit

> Are you eating adequate protein and progressing in your workouts ?
    150g/day, yes, gaining reps most workouts

Shouldn't you be adding weight to your lifts to be progressing in SL?
  • hamlet1222
    yes, when I hit 6 reps I increase the weight.