Strength vs ISO

Options
okay here's a question I'm curious about .. If someone done strength training for say a year and someone else done ISO work for a year how would muscle/body shape differ? I'm doing 5x5 SL and heard that I can do this for as long as possible then move to madcow SL but if im looking to look a certain way ( more definition on certain muscles ) shouldn't I be looking to do something else? I know SL is for strength before anyone says it and ISO isn't but what would be the difference if both done the opposite for over a period of a year body shape/muscle wise?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You mean a strength program vs a hypertrophy program? The latter will generally give larger muscles (what some term a "more aesthetic look"), but since the emphasis is not on strength, the muscles will generally be weaker. Of course, there are hybrid approaches (such as PHAT).
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    You mean a strength program vs a hypertrophy program? The latter will generally give larger muscles (what some term a "more aesthetic look"), but since the emphasis is not on strength, the muscles will generally be weaker. Of course, there are hybrid approaches (such as PHAT).

Ah okay I see so strength obviously makes you stronger but won't give you that aesthetic look?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Your diet is a large factor also.

@LolBroScience trains mainly for strength and looks pretty damn good and cut.
  • Samm471
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Wow I just had a little look at his pic there he looks amazing! I eat pretty clean keep my protein high. I know that obviously being a girl it's going to be harder to add muscle more than it is a guy but I always try and eat as clean and healthy as possible
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Wow I just had a little look at his pic there he looks amazing! I eat pretty clean keep my protein high. I know that obviously being a girl it's going to be harder to add muscle more than it is a guy but I always try and eat as clean and healthy as possible

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were a female!

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have this strength vs. aesthetics debate with myself often. For me, I've decided that I want to be strong first and hot second, so I train for strength using an 8/6/3 format with some accessories in the hypertrophy range. When my diet was on point (it hasn't been recently) and my lifting was consistent, I was pretty happy with how I looked. I also like a 4 day split bc I'm busy and don't want to dedicate more than that to the gym. One day a week, I run outside. I just got lazy this year and slipped, but I'm back at it.

Good luck!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Too many factors to be considered, but if you want an easy answer.... do a mix of both to cover all basis.
  • Samm471
    Options

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were a female!

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have this strength vs. aesthetics debate with myself often. For me, I've decided that I want to be strong first and hot second, so I train for strength using an 8/6/3 format with some accessories in the hypertrophy range. When my diet was on point (it hasn't been recently) and my lifting was consistent, I was pretty happy with how I looked. I also like a 4 day split bc I'm busy and don't want to dedicate more than that to the gym. One day a week, I run outside. I just got lazy this year and slipped, but I'm back at it.

Good luck!

It's quite alright lol :) strength I think is a big for me as I think it's good to be a strong female but I know eventually I will want to move to aesthetics to get an overall better look to my body. I'm pretty new and still have lost to learn but thanks for your input it has helped! :)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends on what you mean by aesthetic. The extremely cut bodybuilder aesthetic isn't necessarily what you'd be looking for. Another possibility would be something like http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ -- that is the build of of a woman who went whole-hog on the strength training route. Depends on what you're going for.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I think the aesthetics debate for women is generally cardio vs weights, not compound vs iso. Unless you're trying to be a show competitor for looks, I think you'd be much better off doing a compound lifting program, with other accessory lifts as opposed to a program that is just all accessory/isolation movements. If you lift to get strong, you're going to have a pretty appealing muscle structure. From there it just comes down to what level of bodyfat you think you look best at, but that's pretty much all diet.
  • Samm471
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I think the aesthetics debate for women is generally cardio vs weights, not compound vs iso. Unless you're trying to be a show competitor for looks, I think you'd be much better off doing a compound lifting program, with other accessory lifts as opposed to a program that is just all accessory/isolation movements. If you lift to get strong, you're going to have a pretty appealing muscle structure. From there it just comes down to what level of bodyfat you think you look best at, but that's pretty much all diet.

Okay and I am doing a strength programme the ICF 5x5 programme been doing it for 7/8 weeks but I'm on a deficit working my way up to maintenace due to only now weighing 120lbs I don't want to lose anymore weight just change body fat % I'm happy strength training but just wondered what the outcome would be if I started doing more Iso instead
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I use the SL5x5 compound lifts as a basis for my workouts and focus on strength but I've added hypertrophy accessory lifts (4 sets of 15 reps for each accessory move). I've been pretty happy with the results. My muscles are getting bigger and more defined since adding hypertrophy work but the strength increases from my compound lifts make me continue to want to come back and make me feel really good with what I'm accomplishing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Too many factors to be considered, but if you want an easy answer.... do a mix of both to cover all basis.

I concur... With a focus on compound lifts and some ISO if you would like.

Ultimate, your body composition & genetics will determine your look.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

^That's really all that needs to be said. Genetics will affect much of your appearance. Make sure your nutrition supports your goal as well.

• _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Strength = number of muscle fibers x control signal being pumped to them.

So you can get pretty big and have ppl somewhat smaller than you outlifting you if they have a better trained CNS. But at the same time, your CNS can only pump out so much juice and make so many connections; at some point, you just have to add more muscle fiber to get stronger, aka hypertrophy.

So do some strength work, and some hypertrophy work. I rotate days; It keeps it interesting and busts up plateaus before they happen.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I use the SL5x5 compound lifts as a basis for my workouts and focus on strength but I've added hypertrophy accessory lifts (4 sets of 15 reps for each accessory move). I've been pretty happy with the results. My muscles are getting bigger and more defined since adding hypertrophy work but the strength increases from my compound lifts make me continue to want to come back and make me feel really good with what I'm accomplishing.

That's pretty cool! So you have split days then? And your hypertrophy work the weight does it just stay the same all the time?
  • Samm471
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Okay thanks :) I would like to do both. Maybe do 5x5 alone till the end of the year and then start adding some ISO into it possibly. I am new so it's all trial and error and I'm kinda worried I *kitten* it up or spin my wheels
  • Samm471
    Options

I think I will and see how that goes .. You are a beast btw lol!! Some size :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Okay thanks :) I would like to do both. Maybe do 5x5 alone till the end of the year and then start adding some ISO into it possibly. I am new so it's all trial and error and I'm kinda worried I *kitten* it up or spin my wheels

There are plenty of programs that use both. After ICF, maybe look at PHUL.
  • Samm471
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    Strength = number of muscle fibers x control signal being pumped to them.

So you can get pretty big and have ppl somewhat smaller than you outlifting you if they have a better trained CNS. But at the same time, your CNS can only pump out so much juice and make so many connections; at some point, you just have to add more muscle fiber to get stronger, aka hypertrophy.

So do some strength work, and some hypertrophy work. I rotate days; It keeps it interesting and busts up plateaus before they happen.

Ahh okay I understand now I will give that a go make it a 2016 plan lol I just want to see how much strength I can gain doing 5x5 just a little longer I'm going to be going up to maintenace I'm
    Not sure if eating at maintenance instead of a deficit would give me more strength? That's not why I'm going into maintenace btw it's simply because I don't want to drop anymore weight
  • Samm471
    Options

There are plenty of programs that use both. After ICF, maybe look at PHUL.

Brilliant! See that's what I was hoping someone would say that there is a programme that works both because I had been wondering this for a while but no one was able to tell me of anything like that so I'm defo gonna have a look at that. When you guys say about nutrition for goals what do you mean like I eat pretty good and I think I eat all the right stuff .. Psulemon you can see my diary I'm sure and maybe tell me where or if I'm going wrong somewhere? :)