Anyone had luck becoming a runner by "winging it" instead of using a structured training program?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to "become a runner"?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

it means to become someone who can/does run?
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    So here's the question - is the bad heel a result of Runkeeper's intervals, or did 'winging it' catch up to you coincidentally when you decided to follow a structured program?

If the running is causing the problem, I'd think it's more likely you're hurting because you over did it while 'winging it'. But, maybe it isn't the running. Maybe it's the walking causing you a problem (especially if you're trying to walk fast). In that case it probably is the intervals.

Personally, I used Zombies, 5K to start running - I just made sure to run all of the optional run/walk periods. Worked well for me. After that, I winged it to 10K (in a week - not my brightest idea but it worked). Then followed Hal Higdon's plan to a half-marathon.

I did C25K a couple of years ago and didn't have much success (clearly - my scale says so :) ) - I did week 3 for like 4 weeks in a row and the frustration combined with summer heat was not great for my running aspirations - it's one of the reasons I'm really trying to get it together while I have a few months without Texas heat.

It's entirely possible that the stress on my heel from winging it catching up with me, or any number of things. I am more concerned about maintaining discipline without external structure since I don't really know anyone who has managed to become a runner without a program (or a background in it from school sports, etc.) Thanks for the Zombies suggestion - I'll have to check that out.
  • fudgebudget
    Options

Well, right now I'm an interval jogger at best, so becoming a runner would be developing the ability to run for sustained periods, e.g., a 5K.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

If it's that simple.....?
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I just went out and ran as much as I could...mapped out a few 1.5-2 mile routes until i could do them easily, then started adding more distances.

Didn't follow a structured plan until I started running 1/2 marathons...for everyday runs I was fine, but I aggravated my IT band by trying for too much distance too fast.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ive been winging it since I started. I ran my first half in 1:49 by winging it, think if i were to go for a full maybe try a program. I just try to get out every day and go for a run. Maybe a longer one on the weekends or faster. The longer runs is where you really build your endurance. Only advice I would give is try not to increase your mileage too quick they say not more than 10 percent a week. This avoids injuries and gives your body a chance to adapt.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    For Pete's sake, we crawl, we walk, and we run. No structured training is needed, just put one foot in front of the other. Don't overthink what is a natural activity.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i tried but found i just didn't have the motivation. I need someone telling me what to do
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If a plan is not working for you, then you won't want to do it. What will work for you is something that you enjoy doing and can feel good about the progress you are making. Any day that you get out there, being it walking, running or both, is progress. So don't be bogged down by what you can't do, focus on what you can, and are, doing.

FWIW, I have been running for 18 years. There were no C25K apps when I started running. I did what others did, just went out and ran when I could and walked when I had to. I was running regularly for 4 years before I did my first 5K. Two more years before I ran my first half marathon. Another 10 before I did my first full marathon. Last month, I finally achieved a long-time dream of qualifying for the Boston Marathon (someday, I used to say...). My point is, go at your own pace. Do what feels right to you, stick with it and before you know it, you will have accomplished what once felt unimaginable.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

If it's that simple.....?

Stop simplifying things. It's not the MFP way.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I didn't use a program. I got on and ran as much as I could, walked until I caught my breath, ran again.

This is exactly what I did. I tried C25K, but I didn't like feeling so structured. Doing it on my own has taken longer, but it's much more enjoyable.
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others have said... I never used a structured program but am now running 10ks on my long runs and looking to add more distance. I just set goals for myself of adding time or adding distance and over time have built up to running this much. I ran on and off for fitness for a long time and then only within the last few months really decided to set some goals and increase my distance and now I've been bitten by the bug! I used the treadmill in the beginning so I could get an idea of what a good pace felt like to me and then took it outside later. Getting used to pacing like that really helped me not to overdue once I got outside and all of a sudden it got really fun! You can do it!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I started out at 235 lbs tolerating running for 1 minute or so and worked my way up over the past 16 months (also lost 84 lbs) to running at most 4.5 miles and I don't stop also my time has gone from a 14 or 15 minute mile ave to a 9. I never used any sort of program. its not necessary if you're dedicated to It and consistent. The primary thing you need to do it focus on endurance which just means being able to tolerate running for longer. I only did it/ do it 2-3 x a week.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I winged and just got on the treadmill and ran a 5K, but keep in mind that was a slow 5k. And I had a solid cardio base prior to doing this. It's possible, but it may be better to identify where you're having the problems with a C25K type problem and see if they're over comeable or not.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've done both and the benefit of a structured program is that it generally helps ease you into it, preventing injury. If you haven't been running there are weaknesses (even if you have been there are always weaknesses!) It is best to gradually increase even if you feel like doing more at times. Perhaps instead of couch to 5k try couch to 10k. That's what I used. It is a bit more challenging.
    I also deal with PF and I run about 25 miles/week and am managing it. If you are just starting I recommend you look up hip and foot strengthening exercises for runners. Tons of free info. If you have foot problems or knee problems I can almost guarantee you have weak hips/glutes. I have the same issues. Most women do. It took me some time to figure that out. Winging it is fine too but you may want to somehow track your increases to make sure you aren't overdoing it too quickly. Steady progress is the goal with or without a plan.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has managed to become a runner without using a program like Couch to 5K or Runkeeper's training programs. I'm overweight and have some issues with a previously broken ankle and plantar fasciitis, so I'd recently jut been going for walks and running when I felt like it, but thought that maybe I'd progress faster with a structured training program.

Personally when I tried winging it I'd generally end up with some form of injury after a couple of weeks. Similar to you I've had broken ankles and knee surgery in the past.

Using a structured plan meant that I got to the stage of running, 5K, then 10K without injury and pretty consistently.

Now I use plans of varying lengths and intensities, but they're more a guide for me than something I follow particularly rigorously.
    I started with one of Runkeeper's programs and after a workout of intervals today, with my heel not feeling great (unlike other runs where it was fine), I looked at my Google Fit stats and I was actually running only half as many paces as my "winging it" workout a few days previous. But, on the other hand, I also know that increasing mileage needs to happen gradually to avoid injury.

I'm less than convinced that your difficulty was a result of using a structured plan, as potentially a bit of overuse, or something related to shoes being worn out or inappropriate. That said, you've already identified that it might be psychosomatic.
  • fudgebudget
    Options
    MamaMollyT wrote: »
    If you are just starting I recommend you look up hip and foot strengthening exercises for runners. Tons of free info. If you have foot problems or knee problems I can almost guarantee you have weak hips/glutes. I have the same issues. Most women do. It took me some time to figure that out. Winging it is fine too but you may want to somehow track your increases to make sure you aren't overdoing it too quickly. Steady progress is the goal with or without a plan.

Thanks for the tip; I'll definitely look into some more strengthening exercises for the hips/glutes. I'm also working on getting over my gym aversion so I have access to weights again, as I know that will eventually help with my speed (after I work on endurance).

I am using Runkeeper to track progress and am trying to go by the "no more than 10% increase in mileage per week" rule. The aberrant day with a lot of running was just because I was feeling good and didn't realize how much I'd run :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    MamaMollyT wrote: »
    If you are just starting I recommend you look up hip and foot strengthening exercises for runners. Tons of free info. If you have foot problems or knee problems I can almost guarantee you have weak hips/glutes. I have the same issues. Most women do. It took me some time to figure that out. Winging it is fine too but you may want to somehow track your increases to make sure you aren't overdoing it too quickly. Steady progress is the goal with or without a plan.

Thanks for the tip; I'll definitely look into some more strengthening exercises for the hips/glutes. I'm also working on getting over my gym aversion so I have access to weights again, as I know that will eventually help with my speed (after I work on endurance).

I am using Runkeeper to track progress and am trying to go by the "no more than 10% increase in mileage per week" rule. The aberrant day with a lot of running was just because I was feeling good and didn't realize how much I'd run :)

You don't specifically need the gym. Pylometric drills are helpful; think jumping, squats and lunges. You can do bodyweight exercises anywhere. Check out Pintrest for suggestions.