Running Question - Half Marathon in 11 days and I don't feel ready

Options
So I'm not sure if this is more of a question or a vent, but as the title states, I have a half marathon scheduled for Nov 14th and I'm worried that I'm not ready.

Background: I started 20 weeks ago with a "couch to half marathon" program. I had run a few halves 2 years ago, but since then had a baby and took way too much time off. My training plan was going great until the long runs hit about 8 miles, and then it all fell apart. My last long runs have looked like this:
5 weeks ago: 8 miles - felt ok (but def not like I could do another 5.1)
4 weeks ago: 9 miles - felt ok - same as above
3 weeks ago: Was scheduled for 10 and didn't make it. Stopped half-way through due to intestinal issues (sorry - TMI) and took a 20 minute break, then ran the rest but stopped at 9.5 because I was just beat and honestly couldn't run another step.
2 weeks ago: 6 mile run (cut-back week) - felt hard but I picked a ridiculously hilly course to run that day.
Last Sunday: Scheduled for 11 miles and died at 7. My legs were so tired I was shaking, my back hurt, I wanted to cry, so I quit.

Sooo... race day is now 11 days away. Two questions:
- Considering I'm now somewhat "under-trained", should I just skip it? I hate to do that because I'm running with a friend, but I also don't want to set myself up for the heartache of not finishing.
- If you think I should try to run, what should my long run be this coming weekend? It was supposed to be a 5 mile taper, but should I try for something longer since I missed my 11 miler? Or should I taper and hope for the best?

Tl;dr: Half marathon in 11 days and my longest run was 9 miles. What should I do???

Replies

• pnklzzy
    pnklzzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half.... I think you should atleast go... I mean you don't have to run the whole thing! If I were you I would regret not finishing after committing to it! Your friend will understand and probably love that your still doing it! Good luck!!
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've done one half and have another one this weekend, so I'm not an expert by any means. However, I think you should give it a shot. You ran 9 miles AND will have the support of a friend to get you through the last third of the race. If you end up having to walk parts of it, that's perfectly fine. As I've gone through my own training, I feel significantly more fatigued (and consequently frustrated and sometimes emotional) at certain times of my cycle. Not sure if that could account for last Sunday's run perhaps?

I'd recommend attempting 10 or 11 miles this weekend and making the conscious effort to reduce your pace to increase your endurance. This would also give you another chance to gauge your fueling/hydrating needs in relation to your previous intestinal issues.

Don't give up on yourself!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This depends some on how consistent you have been with your shorter runs. If you have been consistent with a solid base then try a longer run ASAP. Do it at an easy pace. Don't overdo it. Walk some if you must. Then go do your best at the race even if you walk portions. Start your half at a lesser pace than usual and worst case scenario if you don't finish then look at it not as a failure but a stepping stone to later. Pick a race that is a bit later in the season to look forward to. Take the pressure off. There is always another race to run. Now if you have also been skipping shorter runs you need to be careful not to injure yourself. Other options are You could either do part of the race with your friend or do run/walk intervals. If you really aren't up for it support her by coming and setting up an aid station and make a sign. I think you could probably finish though. You have a mental edge knowing you have completed the distance before. Just remember in the end it's each persons own race. You train together but you race alone. Each person must find their own strength-your friend can do that. Don't let runners nerves cheat you out of trying the race. If for some reason you don't finish, don't let that set you back either. And most of all run YOUR race. Even if that means stopping short of an injury. Listen to your body. Whatever happens- Keep training.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Also if you run long the weekend before don't push for too long. Maybe try 9-10 again. If you have been consistent that should be enough. You don't want to burn your legs out but it sounds like you need a confidence booster.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So I'm not sure if this is more of a question or a vent, but as the title states, I have a half marathon scheduled for Nov 14th and I'm worried that I'm not ready.

Background: I started 20 weeks ago with a "couch to half marathon" program. I had run a few halves 2 years ago, but since then had a baby and took way too much time off. My training plan was going great until the long runs hit about 8 miles, and then it all fell apart. My last long runs have looked like this:
    3 weeks ago: Was scheduled for 10 and didn't make it. Stopped half-way through due to intestinal issues (sorry - TMI) and took a 20 minute break, then ran the rest but stopped at 9.5 because I was just beat and honestly couldn't run another step.
    2 weeks ago: 6 mile run (cut-back week) - felt hard but I picked a ridiculously hilly course to run that day.
    Last Sunday: Scheduled for 11 miles and died at 7. My legs were so tired I was shaking, my back hurt, I wanted to cry, so I quit.

- Considering I'm now somewhat "under-trained", should I just skip it? I hate to do that because I'm running with a friend, but I also don't want to set myself up for the heartache of not finishing.
    - If you think I should try to run, what should my long run be this coming weekend? It was supposed to be a 5 mile taper, but should I try for something longer since I missed my 11 miler? Or should I taper and hope for the best?

Tl;dr: Half marathon in 11 days and my longest run was 9 miles. What should I do???

If you want to do it for yourself and do not mind not finishing, go for it. If it is just for your friend's sake, skip it.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, if you have been keeping up with the shorter runs, you should be fine to do it. Otherwise, you may have to give it a miss and go to support your friend. If you do run, a run-walk strategy might help, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vibe on the day is enough to get you round.

As for this week's training, I would try to do a 9-10 mile run soon (don't leave it until the weekend, if you can) and then get back on the tapering plan you are on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Considering I'm now somewhat "under-trained", should I just skip it? I hate to do that because I'm running with a friend, but I also don't want to set myself up for the heartache of not finishing.

As upthread, while long runs are important, if you've also been missing shorter runs that puts a somewhat different complexion on the response.

I agree with MamaMollyT in that you should push for a long run ASAP; 10-11 miles. As you've struggled on longer runs before it may be you need to moderate your pace a little. Your 10 mile and HM pace shouldn't be the same as your 5K pace.

Your other option is reverting to a run/ walk approach. Run 1600metres, walk 100metres or something like that.

I would disagree with the points upthread about going into it with a DNF in mind. That route only has one destination, you need to do all you can to finish; start slower, run/ walk etc. Whilst a DNF is nothing to be ashamed of, you plan not to.

One thing with run/ walk is - plan your run and run your plan. It can be easy to plan it and then miss walk breaks for some reason.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Is there a time cut of that you are really worried about?
    Get out for a long run this Saturday, if you normally listen to music while running, run a song, walk a song. That normally gives you a nice mix of long runs and short runs and long walks and short walks. Make sure you put your music on random so you never know what's coming up.

Pre plan your route, avoid laps and plan a 11 or 12 mile out and back route. So your half way point is 5.5 or 6 miles away from your home. That way you have no option but to do the distance. You may have to walk it back in but you will have done it.

Then follow up on Sunday with another run, regardless of how tired your legs are, this one doesn't have to be far, this is more to get you through the mental block of feeling like you can't move your legs but having to do so anyway.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If you skip it you're guaranteed not to finish.

Do what you can, take it easy and walk if you need to. No shame in that.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You have two choices. Don't run or run the race and do the best you can. I vote run the race and do your best.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I would try for a long run this weekend. I would recommend running intervals over quitt
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    If you skip it you're guaranteed not to finish.

Do what you can, take it easy and walk if you need to. No shame in that.

You can always run intervals. My friend was half training with me, and she kept falling behind in runs. She was worried about being able to finish. So we ran the entire thing in 2:1 run/walk intervals. She finished. It was awesome.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!
    To clarify, I'm already pretty slow and doing run/walk intervals. But my intervals were 6:1, so I will try for another 11 mile run this weekend and cut down to maybe 2:1 intervals as suggested. Ideally I would have liked to try to get the long run in earlier this week, but I just don't have time for something that long on weekdays.
    I did go for an unscheduled 6-mile run the other day to try to "make up" some of the missed mileage from last weekend and it went pretty well. I used someone's suggestion to run for a song, then walk for a song, and it didn't slow me down as much as I would have thought. I'm hoping if I hit miles really hard this week and then taper next week that I'll be rested and ready for 13.1

The race is on a trail, so there's no real cut-off time that I'm worried about. As I said, I'm usually really slow. My fasted half was 2:37 (3 years ago), and I was hoping to finish this one in 2:45, but I think I'm going to just adjust my expectations to just wanting to finish and not worrying about time at all.
    Also, I'm hoping race day excitement and the distraction of being with a friend will pull me through.

I'll let everyone know how it goes :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Have fun. Do what you can. There is no shame in not being able to run the whole thing. Only 1% of Americans can even run a mile. You are way ahead of the game and you'll get there.
  • typist13
    typist13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would go to the race. If you have done 9.5, even with a break, you will be able to finish. Are you fueling during your runs? It sounds like you are running out of steam. You should fuel with some gu or chews or whatever you normally use every hour of running, and be taking in liquids (water, gatorade). When I ran my first half, I stopped at every water station and every fueling station. Good luck!
  • Kirky_V2
    Kirky_V2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!
    To clarify, I'm already pretty slow and doing run/walk intervals. But my intervals were 6:1, so I will try for another 11 mile run this weekend and cut down to maybe 2:1 intervals as suggested. Ideally I would have liked to try to get the long run in earlier this week, but I just don't have time for something that long on weekdays.
    I did go for an unscheduled 6-mile run the other day to try to "make up" some of the missed mileage from last weekend and it went pretty well. I used someone's suggestion to run for a song, then walk for a song, and it didn't slow me down as much as I would have thought. I'm hoping if I hit miles really hard this week and then taper next week that I'll be rested and ready for 13.1

The race is on a trail, so there's no real cut-off time that I'm worried about. As I said, I'm usually really slow. My fasted half was 2:37 (3 years ago), and I was hoping to finish this one in 2:45, but I think I'm going to just adjust my expectations to just wanting to finish and not worrying about time at all.
    Also, I'm hoping race day excitement and the distraction of being with a friend will pull me through.

I'll let everyone know how it goes :)

Excellent.

I'd do it for sure. I'd go for a 9 miler this weekend, if you can do that, then your friend and the whole race atmosphere will push you the rest of way, I swear that just being in a race adds 10% through mental resolve alone.

Good luck
  • jenrunsinTX
    jenrunsinTX Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. I ran a half on a long run of 8 miles before. Did I PR? No, but I finished with plenty of time to spare. Walk through the aid stations and take breaks when needed.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, too. If you did 9.5, you can do 13.1. As someone else mentioned, have a gu or something around mile 7 or 8... that should help you out (try it on a practice run first to make sure it doesn't mess with your stomach).

I did my first half in January and hadn't run further than you prior to the race. My situation is slightly different because I was also dealing with an injury and took the last two weeks of my training off, but I did manage to finish. I had to run/walk the last 3 miles and barely dragged myself across that finish line, but it felt SO GOOD to be able to say I'd done it! Worst case scenario, you'll run most of the race and bail. I think I'd rather do that than not even start. Good luck!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I ran my first Half this past April. My longest training run was 9.5miles. I finished at my planned pace... but it was rough. Miles 10-13 were sheer hell, I'm not going to lie. But... when you are faced with the option of just keep going or quit.... most people will keep going and perservere. If it were my choice... I'd say go for it and give it your best. You trained a long time... maybe you won't PR but finishing is a great accomplishment. Ultimately though, it's up to you. There are lots of people that finish a Half walking a great deal... no shame in that. As others said, NUTRITION IS KEY! Make sure you eat a good breakfast.... and fuel along the way. I didn't eat anything after mile 6 because I was so exhausted but looking back I think those last 3 miles would have been easier if I had fueled up. Most people had Gu at mile 10 but since I didn't train with it I was afraid it would make me sick. You can do it!! Good luck!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I don't think you will get any benefit from the last long run this close to the race. Tapering is much more important than hitting that last long run. now reading what you wrote, it says you were ok until you hit 8 miles.

8 miles - felt ok (but def not like I could do another 5.1)
    9 miles - felt ok - same as above

I have a feeling you were running these at a pace much faster than you could have handled. Your long runs should be ran at a conversational pace. That means you should be able to have a conversation while running without any worries for breathing. If you can't get out more than 2 words, then the pace is way too fast and you should slow down.

One reason (maybe the main reason) your legs hurt is because of the lactate related hydrogen ions you are accumulating. This is a cause of running too fast that you begin to over exhaust your aerobic capability and rely too much on your anaerobic.

I say run the race, but plan on not running too fast and take walk breaks in between if you have to. Slow and steady is the key.

• e5412
    e5412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll second Stoshew's opinion. You aren't going to gain anything more that peace of mind. Stick with the plan, run at a conversational pace, and walk the water stops, and walk if you have to. Trail races are usually slower than road races so keep that in mind.

There are plans out there that don't have you run more than 8 and you've go that covered that already. So taper like a champ and run like one too because you can do it.