Running Question - Half Marathon in 11 days and I don't feel ready

Options
2»

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you can run 9 miles, you can absolutely finish a half marathon! Just slooooooow down. I recommend a pace at least 1 - 2 min per mile slower than what you were running when you got too tired to finish, or maybe even slower at first. Then if you feel great at mile 8, increase speed a little (but not too much), then if you're still full of energy at mile 11, run in for the last 2 miles. The key is to be able to finish and have a great experience. You can focus on speed the next time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on not doing a long run a week out from the race, you're not going to gain any fitness. If you've done 9 you should be able to finish.....as to the recommendation about fueling during the race remember the nothing new on race day rule, if you've trained with gels take along a couple of the kind you've been using unless you know for certain that they're giving out the same kind at the aid stations.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Seriously go for it! I also agree with the recommendation to slow down and there's no shame in walking.

Mind if I ask which race you're doing? =)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The good news is that race day adrenaline really can help get you through those last few miles. I would go for it. Going into my first half the longest run I had done in training was 10 miles. On race day I felt pretty good for 12 miles, and pushed through the last one. I think the run one song/walk one song is a good strategy.
    I will sometimes do a long run the week before, and sometimes not - it really depends on where my head is. It's not going to make a difference in your fitness readiness, but it may help you feel more confident. If it were me, I'd do 10 this weekend, using the exact walk/run strategy you plan to use race day. And try slowing down a smidge on your run intervals. Come race day, resist the urge to go out fast at the beginning.
    I do wonder if your difficulty in getting past that 7-9 mile range is also a fueling issue. Unfortunately it's a little late to experiment with that now, but something you should consider if you train for another race.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this....Would I be more disappointed if I ran and gave it my all and didn't finish or more disappointed if I didn't give it a go at all??
    Lots of your fellow competitors will be having the same doubts!! But giving it a go means you have already beaten everyone still sitting on the couch!!!
    I say GO FOR IT RUN YOUR HEART OUT
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Tl;dr: Half marathon in 11 days and my longest run was 9 miles. What should I do???

Go for it. Run the race and do your best.
    My longest training run for a full marathon was only 15 miles (4 days before the race) and I managed to complete it.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Go for it! As others have suggested, run slowly and no shame in run/walking. On most half marathons after mile 5 the water/aid stations are every mile. Take it one mile at a time - walk at every aid station to fuel and rest.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    So I went for it, and I made it!! We were a bit slow, but finished well before the cutoff and weren't last :)
    I wish my training had gone a little better, but I'm glad to be finished and already planning out how I can improve next time.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Take some time off to heal and get back out there to get ready for the next one. :)
  • runtrinny
    runtrinny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely run the 1/2. Running is all mental. If you say you can than you will. Walk at the end if you have to but don't give up. Good luck!!

• lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your legs if you haven't done this.

Spend a few hours.over the next 11 days training your legs with leg presses etc. And maybe a.couple.other bits of strength training.

My running plateau was 100% down to muscular weakness. I felt a lot like what you describe.

Join a pace group at the half. Google "xxxx half marathon pace group" and see if anything.doesn't pop up. You can choose one that will ensure you won't overdo it at the beginning and fizzle out.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your legs if you haven't done this.

Spend a few hours.over the next 11 days training your legs with leg presses etc. And maybe a.couple.other bits of strength training.

My running plateau was 100% down to muscular weakness. I felt a lot like what you describe.

Join a pace group at the half. Google "xxxx half marathon pace group" and see if anything.doesn't pop up. You can choose one that will ensure you won't overdo it at the beginning and fizzle out.

Making sure I get in my legs day has been crucial to my running. However, do be careful with your half so close about adding in a legs day if you're not already doing so. The pain of your first legs day in awhile or period can sideline you for a few days if you're susceptible to DOMS or otherwise.

Once your half is over, definitely start some type of lifting program, at the very least to keep those muscles strong and moving.