Egg obsessed

Options
2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Things can happen if you only eat one food and it affects eating a variety, but I also eat a lot of eggs because I have chickens.
  • WalkinChik
    WalkinChik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! I only by organic eggs because they taste awesome. I eat eggs daily, sometimes eating 6 eggs in a day. And yesssss, the yolks too. My cholesterol levels are phenomenal .
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    WalkinChik wrote: »
    I love eggs! I only by organic eggs because they taste awesome. I eat eggs daily, sometimes eating 6 eggs in a day. And yesssss, the yolks too. My cholesterol levels are phenomenal .

What tastes different about organic eggs?
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Nothing, as far as I can tell. Flavor is going to come from the chicken's diet and the feeding practices for factory produced eggs are grain based, whether organic or not. Free range doesn't mean much in regards to large scale production. The chicken houses are disgusting.

The more flavorful eggs will be from pasture chickens that graze for a varied diet. Bugs, worms, snakes, greens, etc. I think the flavor is richer. The yolks are a vibrant orangey-yellow, which some people find disconcerting. My SIL and her husband raise chickens. They supplement grazing with non-organic feed, but I'd rather have those eggs than anything marked "organic" from the grocery store.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »

Nothing, as far as I can tell. Flavor is going to come from the chicken's diet and the feeding practices for factory produced eggs are grain based, whether organic or not. Free range doesn't mean much in regards to large scale production. The chicken houses are disgusting.

The more flavorful eggs will be from pasture chickens that graze for a varied diet. Bugs, worms, snakes, greens, etc. I think the flavor is richer. The yolks are a vibrant orangey-yellow, which some people find disconcerting. My SIL and her husband raise chickens. They supplement grazing with non-organic feed, but I'd rather have those eggs than anything marked "organic" from the grocery store.

I can taste a significant difference in the meat of our chickens but not the eggs. Most people I give eggs to are disappointed the first time because they expect them to taste different, especially because they look different.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I also eat at least 2 eggs a day. I have my own chickens so it makes it easy to get in a few a day. As long as you are eating a variety of foods throughout your day I wouldn't worry about eating eggs during meals or as snacks. I just had my biometrics done for a work wellness program and my cholesterol is great!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

I can taste a significant difference in the meat of our chickens but not the eggs. Most people I give eggs to are disappointed the first time because they expect them to taste different, especially because they look different.

Mmmm, the best chicken I've ever had was a Poulet Rouge Fermier from Joyce Farms, prepared by an excellent restaurant. I still dream about that dish!

The difference in egg flavor may be subtle, or it may be the color of the yolk influencing my perception! Still rather have pasture eggs because I have a bias toward a varied diet - for people and animals.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

The only time I noticed a difference in the taste of fresh vs. store bought eggs was when I ordered some from a restaurant after having had my chickens for about a year. The store bought just didn't have as good a flavor as my fresh eggs had.
    We haven't eaten any of our chickens yet... they are still laying eggs and I have an issue with the process that comes before cooking them!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The only time I noticed a difference in the taste of fresh vs. store bought eggs was when I ordered some from a restaurant after having had my chickens for about a year. The store bought just didn't have as good a flavor as my fresh eggs had.
    We haven't eaten any of our chickens yet... they are still laying eggs and I have an issue with the process that comes before cooking them!!

I eat eggs from the store (out or at a friend's home) now and then and they taste the same to me,

It is hard the first time you have to "process" a chicken you've raised. I had several drinks. :laugh: But we've been raising meat and egg birds for a while. You get used to it.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! I LOVE eggs and would probably eat an average of 2 a day. I had my cholesterol tested last month and its low. So its all good :)
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    My favorite egg resource. I want the T-shirt. And dont forget World Egg Day next year!

http://www.incredibleegg.org/
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I can taste a difference in the two. My mom's eggs have a stronger flavor to them. She free ranges her chickens in her yard, and feeds them scraps. I don't like the taste of eggs, and I can tell which ones are her chickens. She tested me LOL.
  • JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! Don't worry about your consumption of 2-3 per day (sometimes more). I would think that's fine. If you're looking for a great egg dish, try Eggs in Purgatory... I usually use leftover veggies in it! Yum!!! This is just one of MANY variations. http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/eggs-in-purgatory