Options
13»

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    As others have said... don't use generic entries. Your cereal, for example... weigh it dry, then measure the milk you put in instead of using the entry that has milk included (how much milk is it?).

You say you're weighing but you use volume for peppers or broccoli, you use generic entries like 'sweet potatoes' (is it cooked or raw?), 'homemade' entries that could be totally inaccurate (make your own recipe and use the recipe builder) etc.

Basically, you're probably underestimating your food because of lack of accurate logging.

I have been wondering... What is the difference between cooked and raw, besides cooking oil/butter? I usually don't find "cooked onions" in the entries, so I will weigh it raw(just using onions as example), and then weigh the oil. Okay, I don't really weigh the oil, but I'm just now weighing butter, and will do oil eventually. Silly I know, I have issues with change. But is that the only difference? I do also know nutrients may leave as it cooks

The biggest difference is the moisture lost during cooking. Thus since your cooking time and local humidity vary, to get the most accurate measurement, you need to weight before cooking.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    As others have said... don't use generic entries. Your cereal, for example... weigh it dry, then measure the milk you put in instead of using the entry that has milk included (how much milk is it?).

You say you're weighing but you use volume for peppers or broccoli, you use generic entries like 'sweet potatoes' (is it cooked or raw?), 'homemade' entries that could be totally inaccurate (make your own recipe and use the recipe builder) etc.

Basically, you're probably underestimating your food because of lack of accurate logging.

I have been wondering... What is the difference between cooked and raw, besides cooking oil/butter? I usually don't find "cooked onions" in the entries, so I will weigh it raw(just using onions as example), and then weigh the oil. Okay, I don't really weigh the oil, but I'm just now weighing butter, and will do oil eventually. Silly I know, I have issues with change. But is that the only difference? I do also know nutrients may leave as it cooks

Weight change is the biggest. There will be a huge calorie difference if you weigh your food cooked but use the raw entry because of the water loss during the cooking process (you'd be under counting).
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm supposed to weigh it prior, then? So I'm inadvertently doing it right? Yay!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are here seeking answers and open to changes you may need to make. I personally don't see anything glaringly wrong with what you are eating and how you are logging. You may be one of the people who lose weight in "whooshes".

That happened to me all throughout my weight loss phase. 1 week, lose 1 pound. 3 weeks later of doing everything "right", scale wouldn't budge. The next morning WHOOSH 3 pounds gone. Seemingly overnight. But it wasn't what I did the day before that lost me those 3 pounds. It was everything I had done for the previous 3 weeks, but it would take my body a little bit of time to catch up.

Time will tell if this is happening to you. Keep eating well, logging well, be active and don't get discouraged. See what the next 3 weeks bring.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I roast my sweet potatoes - just a little olive oil

Sweet potatoes done that way are heavenly. I miss that so much! I've just been boiling and mashing mine . Still tasty compared to normal potato however, and helps my sweet tooth haha!

Why are you avoiding sweet potatoes roasted with a little olive oil? Olive oil is very good for you!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I roast my sweet potatoes - just a little olive oil

Sweet potatoes done that way are heavenly. I miss that so much! I've just been boiling and mashing mine . Still tasty compared to normal potato however, and helps my sweet tooth haha!

Why are you avoiding sweet potatoes roasted with a little olive oil? Olive oil is very good for you!

Olive oil is highly caloric. I often skip it in favor of just having more actual food. Maintaining a deficit is better for me than enjoying whatever benefits the oil may have.

I still use a tiny bit for roasting vegetables though.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    You're diary makes it look like you are using generic listings which can be wildly off. Perhaps that is the problem--the entries you are choosing do not give the correct nutritional data.
  • kathyelizabeth87
    kathyelizabeth87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ah! I've lost 5lbs! Overnight it seems, I swear someone said it was that I may be a slow loser, I'm sure that was it! Just wanted to say :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Sometimes I have to use the 'cooked' entries but I don't like it. For chicken or pork it's pretty fool proof, but for beef or veggies, it doesn't mean much, depending on how long you cook your food.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Hi all, can someone have a look at my diary and tell me where I'm going wrong? I'm weighing all my food, have a very busy day on my feet all day, 6ft in height, and I'm just not losing. I don't know where I'm going wrong. Constructive criticism please :)
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for all the help so far.
    With regards to what I'm drinking, I only drink water unless it's something I've logged. Sweet potatoes are boiled and mashed, does this make any difference to calories? I don't eat them with anything. Chicken breast is grilled with a sprinkle of herbs.
    For exercise, I restore furniture, so I'm lifting sofas, giant sideboards etc a lot of the day. It's hard to tell exactly how much I'm doing as its on and off all day. Cleaning is for when I'm refinishing furniture, this is my trade so I'm rubbing things down pretty intensively - I break out in a sweat after a couple of minutes. I usually do this once a day for at least 15-20 minuets.

Most things out of a packet I am scanning so they are quite accurate. Perhaps the Special K should be looked at to see if that's the same amount.

I was using my Fitbit last week on Friday, it told me that I had burned 2800 calories, I'm not sure if that's accurate, however I've only got the flex so thinking of upgrading to something more accurate. :(

It matters if you mash them like people normally do, by boiling them, adding milk, salt, butter.... All that stuff counts, and it could more than double the calorie count. Unless you are straight up boiling potatoes, then mashing them without so much as adding salt, then choosing an entry entitled: sweet potatoes, mashed, boiled, isn't gonna cut it.

It's like building a tree house with logging, every measurement everywhere matters for accuracy. Measure twice, cut once.

I am normal and I don't do that...when I say mashed it means with a fork not with anything else...

to me that is "creamed".

To the OP no boiling doesn't add calories just ensure the entry used is for "boiled sweet potato" in grams.

Where do you live? I'm the US, mashed potatoes are the finished product. .....milk, butter, salt and potato. We don't say 'creamed potatoes '...ever.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Ah! I've lost 5lbs! Overnight it seems, I swear someone said it was that I may be a slow loser, I'm sure that was it! Just wanted to say :smiley:

Fantastic! You may see this frequently, what looks like a few weeks of stalling, followed by a large loss. Just know it's normal, and don't let it frustrate you into giving up. You may also try tracking your weight on something like Trendweight.com It helps you see the average loss over time, not the wacky fluctuations.