Why aren't you sweating?

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, you don't sweat, you leak awesome.

HAHAHAHAHA. New favorite quote.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat the same as others. I go very red and damp but thats as far as it goes.

Ditto.
  • Aeiro
    Aeiro Posts: 8
    Options
    I just read an online article about this! :D
    Sometimes people dont work up a sweat because they're too busy trying to look good. The Gym is another place to be social. They go there to perhaps find another partner and sweating might damage their chances at it. Sort of funny dont ya think? ^.^

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2284132/One-gym-goers-dont-break-sweat-theyre-busy-ogling-sitting-spa.html

^Heres the article
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I see alot of people running on the treadmill or lifting heavy and they don't sweat at all.
    Some people just plain don't sweat as much, but also you don't look so drenched if you are wearing dry fit clothes usually. If I wear something cool enough you can see sweat here and there (my head always gets hot) and I am definately sweating but you can't wring it out or anything. If you are wearing cotton it is so much worse!

But no one would accuse me of not working hard if they saw my face :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Like some others on here I don't sweat profusely:sad: , I "exude liquid awesome in prolific quantities!" :devil:

I'm that guy who wears dri-weave shirts year round when leaving the house and rarely wears sleeves. I didn't wear a coat or ever a long sleeve shirt this entire winter! I even cleaned snow off both vehicles wearing a short sleeve shirt with gloves! People ask whether I'm from Minnesota or Canada, but nope.... born and raised in Virginia. Around the house, I wear A-shirts and jean shorts year-round. When going outside, my shirt is by the door so that I can put it on at the last minute because I'll sweat just gathering stuff for the day.
    The funny thing is that 20 years ago, I would wear turtlenecks and cardigan sweaters daily during the winter! Fashion aside, just the thought of wearing either can make me sweat now.
    During cardio workouts (1.5-3.0+ hours), I can drink anywear between a quart and a gallon of water and will still lose 3-6 lbs of weight!
    None of this has changed since losing weight, so I've just resigned myself to living with it for life. LIQUID AWESOME!!!!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're right - If you're not sweating you're not trying hard enough. Also, it's just that you're obviously hydrated, so well done! I love seeing sweat pouring off of me. Used to think it was gross, but now I love it.

This just isnt true. Unless you are suggesting some extremely fit people arent working hard enough. There are people who have commented on this thread who dont sweat that are in crazy good shape. I dont sweat, and Iwont pretend to be in fantastic shape, but I work my *kitten* off to glisten!

Also sweating doesnt mean you are working hard, my boyfriend sweats if it is 70 outside and he is sitting down - doesnt matter if it is sunny or overcast he sweats. So I would say your thinking is flawed.

Yup, it's all about excess body heat or high ambient temperature. Weight lifting does not make me sweat. High temperature outside does.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I used to sweat a lot. Even small amounts of activity would cause some sweating, and exercise caused a lot. But, now for some reason I no longer sweat much at all. I no longer sweat from small amounts of exertion (or stress), and during exercise I sweat, but just a little bit.
  • madmax0412
    madmax0412 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm that kinda gross guy sweating everywhere I go (and I wipe down everything as I go along). My wife works out with me and rarely breaks much of a sweat but she's certainly bustin' her *kitten*. Within 10 minutes on any piece of cardio I'm sweating like my name's Patrick Ewing.

t1_ewing_all_zps71040bd2.jpg

As many stated, just because one sweats a lot doesn't necessarily correlate with how hard you may/may not be working out. I likely have more sweat glands than my wife OR since I carry more muscle that may also cause me to sweat a lot as well. There's a variety of factors at play.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I sweat so bad when I work out. Just 10 minutes into cardio and I break out in a sweat. But weight training that's a whole other story. Just a few sets and my shirt will be soaked. I am not kidding, my entire shirt, front and back are soaked. My hair is stuck to my face around my ponytail/braid. And then I get these super embarrassing hard nipples to go along with my sweat soaked attire. I look ill by the time I am done.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I often wonder if my being diabetic has anything to do with it...

I was diagnosed with Type I when I was 15 and have always been fairly slim. I don't remember having this issue prior to being diagnosed.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with Type I when I was 15 and have always been fairly slim. I don't remember having this issue prior to being diagnosed.

I think that a lot of women think they sweat a lot more than normal, but it's just because they expect not to sweat a lot (and really the amount they sweat is normal). I have a friend that does not have the right amount of sweat glands. She doesn't sweat much at all, but she turns very red and over heats easily (this is what she told me when we were teens).
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I glisten....like a stuck pig. On a good workout with lifts and cardio day I'll be glistening off my nose and elbows in little pools.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I glisten....like a stuck pig. On a good workout with lifts and cardio day I'll be glistening off my nose and elbows in little pools.

This. I mean...It is stinging my eyes how much I "Glisten" or "Sparkle" or "Shimmer". It drips in my eyeballs, in my mouth (yerp)...I was dripping all over the place this morning.
  • gretchenynguanzo
    Options
    Oh, I definitely sweat. And I think my sweat sweats. That's what towels are for at the gym. :)
  • ellehcim88
    ellehcim88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot when I work out too. I found this article helpful although it didn't make me feel any better. http://www.fitness19.com/why-do-some-people-sweat-more-than-others/
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I don't think that this is your problem either. I've been T1 for 17 years and I rarely ever sweat. Nothing ever dripping from my face, maybe a little down my back when it is hot out AND I am doing some activity, I almost feel like I don't need to shower after I'm done lifting, but I can tell from my pictures and my weights that I have definitely gotten some work done.
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Still1Workoutatatime Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm usually soaked after a cardio workout , but when I wear some dri-fit gear or breathable material it lessens it a bit
  • livincleanly27
    Options
    I noticed i've been sweating A LOT more since i started weight lifting and i never sweat a lot before. Maybe its related to muscle mass and the people that aren't sweating just don't have much muscle..LOL
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    For years I didn't sweat at the gym, I don't ever remember being more than just 'dewy'. I thought that was my normal.

Now that I have my blood sugar under control, I sweat like a normal person. It's kind of weird cause I'd never been able to produce 'droplets' before. :huh: There are lots of things I'm noticing are different for me now that I know about my blood sugar and have implemented changes to support low numbers. :drinker:
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I tend to sweat as soon as I stop. I can go an hour on the treadmill at a steady pace and not sweat then I stop and boom drenched. If I am rotating my pace, say walking then running then walking and so on I will sweat while I work out. When I played soccer I could go the whole half not sweating then we would stop for half time and I would sweat like crazy... It is the strangest thing but I have always been that way, shrugs

This happens to me too, and I've always wondered why! I sweat a bit when I work out, but then as soon as I stop and stretch, the sweat just pours out of me.