Baked Potato in about 10 minutes !?!

Options
I recently received this thing as a gift. "Bakes" potatoes in about 10 minutes (advertises 4, but takes 10 in my microwave).

It. Is. Awesome!

omxq17po0wke.jpg

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have had one for about a year, to me I can't get it to cook perfectly, but for the time and easiness of it it's worth a decent baked potato
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You can put a potato in a microwave without a fancy bag and a medium one only takes about 5-7 minutes. Or are you saying it gives the potato more of an oven-baked taste? I realize there's a difference.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    does it make the skin crispy? otherwise I am not sure I see the point?
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I microwave potatoes for about 10 minutes until they're soft, then stick them in the oven for another 10 so the skin crisps up. Perfection!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I used to microwave potatoes in about seven. Did you ever do that, and could you compare the taste and results? To microwave a potato, I would stab it with a fork all over and then nuke it for seven minutes. Afterwards I'd have to dunk it in water with ice so I could handle it and take the skin off. How does it go for you? Coming to think of it, I suppose people just normally deal with the skin while eating!
  • MommyL2015
    Options
    I eat the skin. Yum. I like potatoes baked in an oven or on a grill better, but microwave them a lot.

For the person above who microwaves them for 20 minutes, how do you even have a potato left? LOL I've had them in for 7 minutes before and it was too long and they come out a shriveled up piece of rubber.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    how hard are they to clean?
    can you turn them inside out?
    can you submerge them in water? or get water on them?
    makes a nice stocking stuffer, but have to make sure it's a good invention

I've just thrown it in the washing machine with the towels & it's come out fine.
  • Matt200goal
    edited November 2015
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    You can put a potato in a microwave without a fancy bag and a medium one only takes about 5-7 minutes. Or are you saying it gives the potato more of an oven-baked taste? I realize there's a difference.

The skin gets crispy like it's been in an oven - not "soggy" like I've done other ones in the microwave before. Previously, I didn't like the taste/texture of microwaved potatoes - now I do.
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I eat the skin. Yum. I like potatoes baked in an oven or on a grill better, but microwave them a lot.

For the person above who microwaves them for 20 minutes, how do you even have a potato left? LOL I've had them in for 7 minutes before and it was too long and they come out a shriveled up piece of rubber.

If you over do it, I suspect it does. I started out following the directions - 4 minutes (not done), +1...repeat until done. For the size potatoes I buy & with my microwave: about right is 10 minute for regular potatoes, 12 minutes for sweet potatoes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Take a fork or knife and poke some holes into any potato and it can be baked in the microwave without any doodads.

I do mine for 4:00 on one side and then 3:00 on the other.

My microwave is 13 years old, though. Newer ones might even do it in less time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Dorks might be too dull to pierce a potato. They might carry your books to school though if you ask nicely.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I used to microwave potatoes in about seven. Did you ever do that, and could you compare the taste and results? To microwave a potato, I would stab it with a fork all over and then nuke it for seven minutes. Afterwards I'd have to dunk it in water with ice so I could handle it and take the skin off. How does it go for you? Coming to think of it, I suppose people just normally deal with the skin while eating!

what? take the skin off? That's the best bit of the oven-baked potato!!! that chewy crunchiness....mmmm yum. But yeah, the crappy skin on a microwave potato is why I cut a line down mine, put in the microwave for 5 minutes or so, then finish off in the oven. I like the taste of the inner from a microwave, and the skin from the oven.

But if this bag makes the skin crispy it could be good!!
  • MommyL2015
    Options
    Take a dork

I don't think my dork would appreciate being used to poke holes in a potato, but I'll see what he says. LOL I know what you meant but I snorted out loud when I read that. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I fixed it! Oops! Typo!

Please don't use dorks to poke holes in potatos. They get enough grief in high school. ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oh now that might be worth the money. I hate microwaved potatoes usually but baking just take forever.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I have one of these and it's awesome!
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    dork also had another meaning which i wont mention here - google dork definition

With that definition, definitely don't try to poke holes in the potato after it's been microwaved!