Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I used to microwave potatoes in about seven. Did you ever do that, and could you compare the taste and results? To microwave a potato, I would stab it with a fork all over and then nuke it for seven minutes. Afterwards I'd have to dunk it in water with ice so I could handle it and take the skin off. How does it go for you? Coming to think of it, I suppose people just normally deal with the skin while eating!

what? take the skin off? That's the best bit of the oven-baked potato!!! that chewy crunchiness....mmmm yum. But yeah, the crappy skin on a microwave potato is why I cut a line down mine, put in the microwave for 5 minutes or so, then finish off in the oven. I like the taste of the inner from a microwave, and the skin from the oven.

But if this bag makes the skin crispy it could be good!!

Eating the skin... I mean other than being an immigrant, how haven't I known this was a thing???
    So good, and has the most nutrients, if memory serves.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Somewhere we have a thing that you slide through the potato lengthwise and nuke with that helps it cook all the way through. Crispy sounds great! But I'd want to know what it's lined with.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Somewhere we have a thing that you slide through the potato lengthwise and nuke with that helps it cook all the way through. Crispy sounds great! But I'd want to know what it's lined with.

An answer on Amazon said 85% polyester and 15% cotton
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I used to microwave potatoes in about seven. Did you ever do that, and could you compare the taste and results? To microwave a potato, I would stab it with a fork all over and then nuke it for seven minutes. Afterwards I'd have to dunk it in water with ice so I could handle it and take the skin off. How does it go for you? Coming to think of it, I suppose people just normally deal with the skin while eating!

what? take the skin off? That's the best bit of the oven-baked potato!!! that chewy crunchiness....mmmm yum. But yeah, the crappy skin on a microwave potato is why I cut a line down mine, put in the microwave for 5 minutes or so, then finish off in the oven. I like the taste of the inner from a microwave, and the skin from the oven.

Eating the skin... I mean other than being an immigrant, how haven't I known this was a thing???

you what now?

Basically eating potato skins to me was as foreign as eating banana peels or something. Will have to give it a try, though!

OK then :)

Wash potato
    Skewer
    Rub with olive oil
    Salt if you like

either put directly in oven or put in silver foil to bake in oven

takes about an hour

crispy yummy skin

(best with baked beans and cheese IMO, or cottage cheese and salad / tuna mayo will do too )

• Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Rinse potato, poke holes with a fork, then put in a ziplock bag. Microwave 5-6 minutes, yummy potato!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

you what now?

Basically eating potato skins to me was as foreign as eating banana peels or something. Will have to give it a try, though!

I think my mother never peeled potatoes because it was extra work and lucked out that the skins have extra nutrients: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/skin-potato-really-vitamins-5378.html

I've learned it's not necessary to peel ginger - the skin isn't rough enough that it's a problem to leave on.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    6 minutes in the microwave, no special gadget needed.

As far as the peel, it is the most nutrient rich part of the potato.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

An answer on Amazon said 85% polyester and 15% cotton

Thanks. hmmm, not sure how I feel about steaming my potato in that. Thanks for finding that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    6 minutes in the microwave, no special gadget needed.

As far as the peel, it is the most nutrient rich part of the potato.

The only times I've tried it, the texture completely put me off.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't love the peel of a baked potato, but that's one reason I don't really like baked potatoes as much as other kinds, like fingerling or yukon gold or whatever the little red ones are called. And chopping them up (well, the bigger ones) and roasting them doesn't take much longer than 10 minutes anyway, so win!

(Also, my stupid microwave has been broken for a while and I keep putting off getting it replaced.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've learned it's not necessary to peel ginger - the skin isn't rough enough that it's a problem to leave on.

This is good information -- I'll have to try it. Hate peeling ginger.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I just wrap my potato in saran wrap and stick it in the microwave for about 6-8 minutes, turning it over half way through. The skin isn't really crispy but still good enough to eat.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I microwave potatoes for about 10 minutes until they're soft, then stick them in the oven for another 10 so the skin crisps up. Perfection!

this
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

It's basically quilt batting. I've made them before...you basically make a mini sleeping bag, lol!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

My peeler is my least used kitchen utensil ;)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I just wrap my potato in saran wrap and stick it in the microwave for about 6-8 minutes, turning it over half way through. The skin isn't really crispy but still good enough to eat.

why do you put it in saran wrap?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Do you know about peeling it with a spoon?

I used to hate peeling it until I learned to peel it that way. Just scrape the edge of the bowl of a spoon along the surface, the peel comes right off.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    No -- didn't know that either. I'm clearly not up to speed on peeling ginger.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I don't love the peel of a baked potato, but that's one reason I don't really like baked potatoes as much as other kinds, like fingerling or yukon gold or whatever the little red ones are called. And chopping them up (well, the bigger ones) and roasting them doesn't take much longer than 10 minutes anyway, so win!

(Also, my stupid microwave has been broken for a while and I keep putting off getting it replaced.)

What is the ten-minute secret?? I can't seem to get away with anything shorter than 50-60 minutes (including pre-heating) no matter what. Do you have a convection oven?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

why do you put it in saran wrap?

Well, I think it's supposed to cook faster and stay more moist? Idk, they sell them individually wrapped like that at the store and since I feel like that's a rip off I just wrap them myself. I don't really make regular baked potatoes a lot though.