why exercise if..

Options

Replies

• RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find I sleep better and just in general feel better. My biggest reason is so I can walk several blocks and run up a flight of stairs without getting winded.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    For me physical activity has nothing to do with weight loss. I lost 100lbs with a caloric deficit. Running keeps me sane, happy and healthy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Zombies

Cos I want to be fit and strong enough to spend all my kids inheritance on ridiculous pursuits when I retire

But mainly zombies

Girl after my own heart, I'm travelling the world, slowly, spending my child's inheritance, and want to be as healthy and fit doing it. Like those adventures.

I also exercise for vanity; I don't want to look like jelly on a plate.

Because I am extremely healthy and quite fit fore my age, and want to stay that way for the next 3 decades.

I do get to eat more, (actually it usually goes toward my 5th food group- alcohol) but I like, if I take a break, my cals don't have to drop unimaginably low.

I don't find exercise, a natural activity (found some things I like; but not love) and would easily be one of those that didn't if I didn't like the benefits so much.

Cheers, h.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I started diet when I could get to my zumba class but then had to work 11 hours daily. I still lost 2 lbs a week. As i am now ounces from my healthy bmi rate, exercise is super important. I'm petite so cutting calories further isnt smart.

You are right in one sense. All but the last few lbs really have been diet.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Zombies

Cos I want to be fit and strong enough to spend all my kids inheritance on ridiculous pursuits when I retire

But mainly zombies

Have you seen Zombieland????!!!!! "cardio" is like rule number one in the survival rulebook!!

This.

I plan to outrun all my friends in the zombie apocalypse. I love Zombieland. Its full of good info :)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am happy after a good sweat, I look hot(I have awesome shoulders and biceps), I can eat dessert because there is more room in my calories, heart disease and diabetes run in my family, but if I run I am likely to beat them!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    I run/exercise because punching people is frowned upon.

I like this.

To paraphrase a certain Ishmael:
    It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to the gym or out for a run as soon as I can.

Awesome paraphrase!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    cheesyP wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

I don't exercise to lose weight. My diet is what I use to lose weight.

I exercise to feel good, look good (better), increase my calorie deficit (what I do with that increased deficit is my business) and enjoy the release of endorphins. Perhaps those who question exercise have never experienced this release, just pain and tiredness.
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

Now, habaneros and ghost chilies? Those bring the endorphins.

Same here! No endorphins i just get this crap called "satisfaction at a job well done"
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

I don't exercise to lose weight. My diet is what I use to lose weight.

I exercise to feel good, look good (better), increase my calorie deficit (what I do with that increased deficit is my business) and enjoy the release of endorphins. Perhaps those who question exercise have never experienced this release, just pain and tiredness.
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

Now, habaneros and ghost chilies? Those bring the endorphins.

Same here! No endorphins i just get this crap called "satisfaction at a job well done"
    Yeah. It's like paying taxes. However much it sucks, not doing it will end up sucking even more.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I get a lot more immediate reward from exercise than I do for diet. I can watch my calories diligently and the scale will go up and down, almost as if it has a mind of it's own. The trend, if I do everything right, is good, but that takes months to see. But if I do a stretch run today I will be faster tomorrow. Closer to immediate feedback. Also, exercise has done more to help me feel good than a shrinking (wobbly) waistline.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Knowing how much food I'll get to eat at maintenance if I keep up my current regime makes me super happy. I don't often feel deprived whilst in a deficit so it'll be like feasting at maintenance! So yay exercise!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options

Because life without exercise wouldn't be worth living.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    +1 for eating more.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I would say if you don't like to work out you just haven't found what you like to do... Because there is the primitive brain structure of an animal buried under all our fancy frontal cortex bells & whistles and that animal instinctively seeks out movement. Also, why would you go through all the rigamarole of dieting just to sit around on your *kitten* & wait for the chronic health problems of the sedentary anyway?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    And another point I didn't mention.

I have a 16 year old daughter. She is cute. Thankfully, she is so engrossed in her studies that so far she hasn't worried much with a relationship. So I've been lucky. But I know the day is coming.

And when it does, I want to be fit enough to strike fear into her boyfriend when I give him the "you hurt my daughter talk". Serious fear.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

I have a 16 year old daughter. She is cute. Thankfully, she is so engrossed in her studies that so far she hasn't worried much with a relationship. So I've been lucky. But I know the day is coming.

And when it does, I want to be fit enough to strike fear into her boyfriend when I give him the "you hurt my daughter talk". Serious fear.

Is she your only kid?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Is she your only kid?

Yep.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive spicy food eater. My husband and I travel around to partake in spicy food challenges. The Carolina Reeper knocked Bhut Jolokia aka ghost pepper out of the Guinness book of world records as being the hottest pepper in the world. I had the pleasure of eating two of those peppers and shaking the hand of the mad scientist who created them.

It is very true that eating spicy foods releases "feel good" endorphins. For some people they trigger a sense of euphoria comparible to a "runners high". If only endorphins from eating spicy foods alone caused weight loss, if that were the case if have no need to be here counting calories at all.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I would say if you don't like to work out you just haven't found what you like to do... Because there is the primitive brain structure of an animal buried under all our fancy frontal cortex bells & whistles and that animal instinctively seeks out movement. Also, why would you go through all the rigamarole of dieting just to sit around on your *kitten* & wait for the chronic health problems of the sedentary anyway?
    Or maybe I'm too old to do what I like.

Also, just because people don't like to exercise doesn't mean they don't exercise.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I exercise for fitness and mental clarity. And I only thought I hated to exercise. I realize that I only hated it because of how overweight I was. Now that I am getting lighter and more fit, I enjoy it more because it isn't quite as hard.