why exercise if..

Options

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I run/exercise because punching people is frowned upon.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cheesyP wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

I used to think this way too.

But when you get to maintenance your mind set will change (hopefully). Maintenance will be less food forever. Exercise forever will give you a little cushion. Maintenance won't be as hard. Find something you can do forever. Find something active you like to do.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Exercise is for your health and to help increase the deficit. Lifting, will help you maintain muscle mass, while losing.

I'm going thru some medical stuff, but after its sorted I plan to start lifting. Any suggestions if I don't wanna get a gym membership?

Have you tried walking around with a backpack full of beer cans?

Then as you get tired you can drink them to lessen the weight. Win/win.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For health, for stress relief, to look better, for fun, to be stronger and better at stuff and be able to do active things on vacation and have energy no matter what I'm doing in my normal life (carrying home groceries or walking somewhere not being a big thing), and to be able to eat more. Also, to challenge myself. I'm sure there are other reasons.

I wonder more why someone wouldn't exercise, if they could. I know some cannot, and I am sure that's frustrating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

I like this.

To paraphrase a certain Ishmael:
    It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to the gym or out for a run as soon as I can.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I exercise because it's good for my health, physical and mental. And because it allows me to eat more.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to love playing sports, especially volleyball and football, but I don't know anybody and I wouldn't know where to start.

I walk a lot, so that I can eat more, basically.

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is my first post on here but I just had to chime in. As a personal trainer, an almost 40 female and someone who has lost over 100 pounds, I believe exercise is most important because it actually changes your hormones!! Depending on the type of exercise you do, it can do anything from increasing testosterone (which is just as important for females, as it helps build muscle and raises energy & confidence levels) to decreasing cortisol (stress hormone that contributes to fat storage and cravings). It elevates your mood which helps avoid emotional eating, it makes you more insulin sensitive which not only prevents diabetes but also helps turn off your body's fat storage mode as well as help you have more balanced food desires and avoid binges. And, like someone else mentioned, building muscle increases your metabolism and also increases insulin sensitivity. Oh! And it often helps people sleep better and a good night's sleep is a pretty much a MUST for fat loss! I always tell people, if you exercise to burn calories, you will be sorely disappointed. If you exercise to change your body, you will be beyond inspired!!

What she said^^^.plus it just firms everything up. Have you ever seen the 'fat skinny girl" on the beach? I live in Florida so I've seen it plenty of times. Not to be mean---but you asked. It's the girl that looks skinny in clothes but then puts on a bathing suit and everything looks lumpy and jiggly. Tighten and tone is my mantra now that I'm 4 lbs away from my goal weight.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Exercise is making it easier for me to just do basic life things - plus I get to eat some more when I exercise. Also the dog likes the walks. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's good for your body and allows you to eat more.

If you're sincerely devoted to making yourself as healthy as you can be, you'll get some exercise and lift/move heavy items. Not everyone cares about their health! That's cool! Everyone has different goals! But for people who do want to be as healthy as they can be, exercise will not be skipped.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I wonder more why someone wouldn't exercise, if they could. I know some cannot, and I am sure that's frustrating.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a friend with Muscular Dystrophy, and as it progresses he has had to give up sports that he enjoys and has a hard time keeping up with his young children.

Being physically able to run, play sports, lift weights, and be active in general is a blessing that too many people take for granted.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Because weight loss isn't my real goal, or at least not my entire goal. Fitness is my goal, so I can do the things I want to do, and that means exercise.

Besides that, it makes me healthier and happier.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

Agreed!! I don't exercise to feel good or get endorphins or anything like that. I walk to try and get my asthma under control. It does give me a little extra in the foods so I can eat a little more, but not enough to make a huge difference in my diet.

rabbitjb wrote: »
    Zombies

Cos I want to be fit and strong enough to spend all my kids inheritance on ridiculous pursuits when I retire

But mainly zombies

And this is main reason I'm considering a C2K app. XD
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Because food.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

Agreed!! I don't exercise to feel good or get endorphins or anything like that. I walk to try and get my asthma under control. It does give me a little extra in the foods so I can eat a little more, but not enough to make a huge difference in my diet.

rabbitjb wrote: »
    Zombies

Cos I want to be fit and strong enough to spend all my kids inheritance on ridiculous pursuits when I retire

But mainly zombies

And this is main reason I'm considering a C2K app. XD

DOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!

I never thought I'd be a runner until I picked up that app a few months after I quit cigarettes. Of all the things I've done, that app has changed my life the most.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is my first post on here but I just had to chime in. As a personal trainer, an almost 40 female and someone who has lost over 100 pounds, I believe exercise is most important because it actually changes your hormones!! Depending on the type of exercise you do, it can do anything from increasing testosterone (which is just as important for females, as it helps build muscle and raises energy & confidence levels) to decreasing cortisol (stress hormone that contributes to fat storage and cravings). It elevates your mood which helps avoid emotional eating, it makes you more insulin sensitive which not only prevents diabetes but also helps turn off your body's fat storage mode as well as help you have more balanced food desires and avoid binges. And, like someone else mentioned, building muscle increases your metabolism and also increases insulin sensitivity. Oh! And it often helps people sleep better and a good night's sleep is a pretty much a MUST for fat loss! I always tell people, if you exercise to burn calories, you will be sorely disappointed. If you exercise to change your body, you will be beyond inspired!!

You've been down this road before, haven't ya? LOL! I love your reply. I find that the vitamin D you get from walking outside also makes me feel better.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Avalonis wrote: »
    ald783 wrote: »

I hate working out, pretty much every single time, but the above things make it a necessary part of my life.

If you hate working out, you need to find some things you enjoy. I DETEST traditional cardio, but I've discovered I love to do sprints, racquetball, tennis, HIIT Cycling classes, and Volleyball.

Life is too short to spend 2 hours a day in the gym being miserable.

It's like going to work though. I don't go to work because it's how I'd most like to be spending 9-10 hours a day every day, but because the benefits of going to work (even though it makes me unhappy at times) outweigh the whole losing my job and having no money thing.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

I like this.

To paraphrase a certain Ishmael:
    It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to the gym or out for a run as soon as I can.

Yes this, all this.

And endorphins. To all those who don't get that benifit, I can understand your resistance. For me, the endorphin DUMP is insane, almost overwhelming in its intensity.

And food.

Ok, and muscles.

Now I just wanna go get h..I mean go run.

• pegastarlight
    pegastarlight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few reasons people will exercise for weight loss. One, you can eat or drink more when you're working out. Exercise also will help you sleep better, ease anxiety, be more flexible, not get winded climbing stairs, etc. Exercise will also help your body shape look better as you lose weight. More importantly, as you lose weight, you require less calories at rest. Building lean muscle mass will cause you to require more calories, which can help offset slowing of metabolism with age or fat loss. Also even just a light exercise will help compensate for any miscalculations in your calorie counting. Even with a food scale, published calorie information is based on averages and thus not 100% accurate to the food you are eating. The amount of water density in a food is variable, which will affect how many calories per gram. A brisk walk in the evening is enough to level out any discrepencies with that.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    So I can eat more.

This.

I exercise so I can nom all the things.

And so when I do nom all the things and it puts me over my count, I can just get up and watch netflix while walking on my treadmill to fix it:):):)