why exercise if..

Options
People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for your health and to help increase the deficit. Lifting, will help you maintain muscle mass, while losing.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to eat and drink beer, exercise makes room for it!
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I like to eat and drink beer, exercise makes room for it!

This!

Also, a lot of people exercise to increase cardiovascular fitness, strength, etc. Not to mention, it just feels so good.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    because i like to eat. and exercise creates a higher deficit
    I plan on getting this shirt soon
    il_340x270.716074732_nugh.jpg
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I just generally feel better when I get up and move. Days when I do nothing but sit on my lazy butt all day just make me feel tired.

Some days, like today, when i have to sit and type all day for work, it seems like I am so exhausted by the end of the day even though I wouldn't normally have more than 1,000 steps all day long. Days like today, I try to make myself get up and take a 10-minute walk on my treadmill a few times throughout the day.

Some days, I live on my treadmill just because I want to eat something delicious like cheesecake or a hot fudge brownie sundae.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    So I can eat more.
  • tammibarbagallo
    tammibarbagallo Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Okay, this is my first post on here but I just had to chime in. As a personal trainer, an almost 40 female and someone who has lost over 100 pounds, I believe exercise is most important because it actually changes your hormones!! Depending on the type of exercise you do, it can do anything from increasing testosterone (which is just as important for females, as it helps build muscle and raises energy & confidence levels) to decreasing cortisol (stress hormone that contributes to fat storage and cravings). It elevates your mood which helps avoid emotional eating, it makes you more insulin sensitive which not only prevents diabetes but also helps turn off your body's fat storage mode as well as help you have more balanced food desires and avoid binges. And, like someone else mentioned, building muscle increases your metabolism and also increases insulin sensitivity. Oh! And it often helps people sleep better and a good night's sleep is a pretty much a MUST for fat loss! I always tell people, if you exercise to burn calories, you will be sorely disappointed. If you exercise to change your body, you will be beyond inspired!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Health, strength and aesthetics
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Endorphins.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Health, fitness, and (more) food.

i_run_i_can_eat_cupcakes_womens_light_tshirt.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Losing weight on dieting alone will reduce strength, increase muscle atrophy and slow metabolic rate down faster versus having an exercise program accompanying it. The issue with exercise is most people who are on a weight loss plan try to do exercise plans that experienced people are doing and may not fit what their current fitness can handle and end up giving up on it.
    Playing with kids on the playground is exercise, but I hardly see any adults doing it with their kid. I was the "big" kid out there with my DD on the bars and even going down the slide on a daily basis till she got older. At "jump" parties, I participated and can tell you that climbing inflatables is pretty exhausting after an hour.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Because I'm shallow and am not a fan of the skinny-fat look. BF% is pretty important to me. Also, I like being able to maintain a size 4 figure on 2500 calories/day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Let's see. If I didn't exercise, I'd maintain at 1800 calories. I exercise and maintain at 2200 calories. I like eating. So I exercise.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that exercising is also empowering. It makes you feel good. I feel unstoppable, healthy, driven, strong, and happy. Endorphins.

091f5846132ce63641256e0235282a48.jpg
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    - to eat more
    - I'm more toned and look better
    - I feel a million times better after I work out
    - I sleep better
    - I have more energy, don't get winded, and legitimately feel so much healthier

I hate working out, pretty much every single time, but the above things make it a necessary part of my life.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1. Makes me feel good.
    2. Lets me eat more
    3. I ENJOY it
    4. You don't look good naked by eating at a deficit.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    cheesyP wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

I don't exercise to lose weight. My diet is what I use to lose weight.

I exercise to feel good, look good (better), increase my calorie deficit (what I do with that increased deficit is my business) and enjoy the release of endorphins. Perhaps those who question exercise have never experienced this release, just pain and tiredness.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    cheesyP wrote: »

I don't exercise to lose weight. My diet is what I use to lose weight.

I exercise to feel good, look good (better), increase my calorie deficit (what I do with that increased deficit is my business) and enjoy the release of endorphins. Perhaps those who question exercise have never experienced this release, just pain and tiredness.
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

Now, habaneros and ghost chilies? Those bring the endorphins.

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is my first post on here but I just had to chime in. As a personal trainer, an almost 40 female and someone who has lost over 100 pounds, I believe exercise is most important because it actually changes your hormones!! Depending on the type of exercise you do, it can do anything from increasing testosterone (which is just as important for females, as it helps build muscle and raises energy & confidence levels) to decreasing cortisol (stress hormone that contributes to fat storage and cravings). It elevates your mood which helps avoid emotional eating, it makes you more insulin sensitive which not only prevents diabetes but also helps turn off your body's fat storage mode as well as help you have more balanced food desires and avoid binges. And, like someone else mentioned, building muscle increases your metabolism and also increases insulin sensitivity. Oh! And it often helps people sleep better and a good night's sleep is a pretty much a MUST for fat loss! I always tell people, if you exercise to burn calories, you will be sorely disappointed. If you exercise to change your body, you will be beyond inspired!!

+1. Thanks @tammibarbagallo