Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think one of the challenges is you're a active in shape individual that burns a bunch of calories. You or someone like yourself can get proper nutrition (your macros and micros) eating 80% nutritious. For someone on a lower calorie diet, it's going to be much more difficult to get needed nutrition if 20% of say 1500 calories come from candy, cakes, chips, ice cream, etc.

Well I can hit my macro requirements in 1200 calories if I chose to. Leaving the 20% (300 calories) for chips (85 cals), Ice cream (90 cals), cookies (72 cals) because I choose the ones I like (eg Walkers pops / Quavers - Solero / Fab, McVities Rich Tea)

And it's not like the less nutritiously rich foods you mention don't help with hitting macros too

But it's about choice - there's no reason why people can't manage it - even if it's difficult - if they choose to / if it's important to their wellbeing

Take a 1200 calorie diet to a registered dietician where 20% of the calories are from nutritionally less dense food (chips, cookies, candy, cake, etc) and get their thoughts .

Why would their thoughts matter? If you are hitting your macro requirements, it doesn't mater how your intake is made up.

so what is your thought on this statement @psulemon ?
    does it fit with your 80/20 rule, or it is just me struggling again with reading comprehension?

I wasn't aware that psulemon was the translator of all posts on MFP and the one who determines if everyone's diet was appropriate for them. Wow that's a lot of responsibility @psulemon! You should ask them to double your mod salary! ;)

• WinoGelato
    Options
    12 hours later and the same people are still having the same argument. No one else is keeping track of this thread since they'd have to go back and read 10 pages of "Prove it. Prove it. Prove it."

I think it's safe to say this "empty calories" subjects has been beaten to death and both sides provided great arguments.

It's a shame no new MFP members would get a chance to benefit from the original post.

I'm pretty sure no one was going to benefit from that OP unless they were looking for broscience.

I actually learned what clotted cream is on this thread so all is not in vain...

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think one of the challenges is you're a active in shape individual that burns a bunch of calories. You or someone like yourself can get proper nutrition (your macros and micros) eating 80% nutritious. For someone on a lower calorie diet, it's going to be much more difficult to get needed nutrition if 20% of say 1500 calories come from candy, cakes, chips, ice cream, etc.

Well I can hit my macro requirements in 1200 calories if I chose to. Leaving the 20% (300 calories) for chips (85 cals), Ice cream (90 cals), cookies (72 cals) because I choose the ones I like (eg Walkers pops / Quavers - Solero / Fab, McVities Rich Tea)

And it's not like the less nutritiously rich foods you mention don't help with hitting macros too

But it's about choice - there's no reason why people can't manage it - even if it's difficult - if they choose to / if it's important to their wellbeing

Take a 1200 calorie diet to a registered dietician where 20% of the calories are from nutritionally less dense food (chips, cookies, candy, cake, etc) and get their thoughts .

Why would their thoughts matter? If you are hitting your macro requirements, it doesn't mater how your intake is made up.

Well, macros, micros and sufficient variety. Oh, and low nitrates, low trans fats, not too much iron, mix your vegetables (not too much kale or broccoli)....

Yeah, it doesn't matter. :sick:

are you saying it does matter or it doesn't - my filter is off

I'm saying intake matters - it isn't just macros.
    One of the great ironies of trying to get healthy are those people that decide to go all natural and end up eating too much monolithic foods:

too much carrots -- make you ill
    too much kale and broccoli -- make you ill
    too much vitamins - I think you get where this is going

A phrase like "If you are hitting your macro requirements, it doesn't mater (sic) how your intake is made up." is wrong. Dietary composition matters, what doesn't matter is dat der donut or dat der sushi. Total composition matters, single items do not.

There is a difference in context.

We know that.

I think we use Macro as shorthand sometimes for Macro and Micro - I try not to but I always assume that's what people mean

Dietary composition matters over time - agreed
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That'd be 1200 calories to use on nutritious food and I believe if someone is committed to it, that wouldn't be that hard to fulfill. Supplementation is also an option to help if micronutrients may be lacking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

does it fit with your 80/20 rule, or it is just me struggling again with reading comprehension?

Well i never questioned anyones reading comprehensive, so that point is moot and unnecessary.

In regards, someone at 1200 calories may find it difficult to fit in treats. Ultimately, you need to find foods that can address your goals. And if that means you need to sacrifice a daily treat, then that is how it needs to be done. Of course, this all depends on ones activity level, daily life style and stats.

Like i said in my own post, i gave up my daily Klondike for grapes with cool whip as i need a ton of volume. So if i do have a treat, its generally a hershey kiss or a fun size milkway. Or i have a treat on the weekends (chickfila milkshakes) when i generally only do brunch and dinner.

Hopefully, this provides you some insight into methodology. If you want additional context please let me know. I can provide my perception on macros and more.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wasn't aware that psulemon was the translator of all posts on MFP and the one who determines if everyone's diet was appropriate for them. Wow that's a lot of responsibility @psulemon! You should ask them to double your mod salary! ;)

Its ok. I am always willing to provide some perspective. And i got time right now while my wife is progressing during her labor.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well i never questioned anyones reading comprehensive, so that point is moot and unnecessary.

In regards, someone at 1200 calories may find it difficult to fit in treats. Ultimately, you need to find foods that can address your goals. And if that means you need to sacrifice a daily treat, then that is how it needs to be done. Of course, this all depends on ones activity level, daily life style and stats.

Like i said in my own post, i gave up my daily Klondike for grapes with cool whip as i need a ton of volume. So if i do have a treat, its generally a hershey kiss or a fun size milkway. Or i have a treat on the weekends (chickfila milkshakes) when i generally only do brunch and dinner.

Hopefully, this provides you some insight into methodology. If you want additional context please let me know. I can provide my perception on macros and more.

I don't understand why you get so much grief! I for one, am grateful you are here.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Its ok. I am always willing to provide some perspective. And i got time right now while my wife is progressing during her labor.

What? Congrats! And get the hell outta here!

• WinoGelato
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah! Hope everything goes well for you guys! A new little lemon drop in the world...,

I now return you to your regularly scheduled MFP arguments...

• psuLemon
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't understand why you get so much grief! I for one, am grateful you are here.

Thank you. Its always nice to know i make an impact on some people.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Best wishes!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, macros, micros and sufficient variety. Oh, and low nitrates, low trans fats, not too much iron, mix your vegetables (not too much kale or broccoli)....

One of the great ironies of trying to get healthy are those people that decide to go all natural and end up eating too much monolithic foods:

A phrase like "If you are hitting your macro requirements, it doesn't mater (sic) how your intake is made up." is wrong. Dietary composition matters, what doesn't matter is dat der donut or dat der sushi. Total composition matters, single items do not.

We know that.

I think we use Macro as shorthand sometimes for Macro and Micro - I try not to but I always assume that's what people mean

And yet we burned the OP for her use of shorthand... so some shorthand "is more equal than others".
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What? Congrats! And get the hell outta here!

And this. Best of luck and enjoy!!!!!!! :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh, wow, auguri! best wishes!

• Sued0nim
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

:bigsmile:

you are online when she's in labour?

Wow - you brave
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We know that.

And yet we burned the OP for her use of shorthand... so some shorthand "is more equal than others".

That's a fair point :) but not the only reason she ended up with an 'interesting' thread
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We know that.

I don't know if that's an accurate description of why OP's advice wasn't welcomed with open arms and unquestioning acceptance.
  • psuLemon
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

:bigsmile:

you are online when she's in labour?

Wow - you brave

Haha.. our nurse has talked non stop for 30 min. I am not even sure she is breathing.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    And thanks everyone for the wishes.