When do you exercise?

Options

Replies

• vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do my workout in the morning. I have no one but my dog that wants attention at that time in the morning. I normally workout between 530-630 am. This allows me to still be ready to leave home by 830am as well as it allows me to double up in the evenings after 8pm if I am just sitting around watching tv.. If just sitting watching tv... why not jump on the treadmill and at least walk for a few miles while watching the same shows.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    In the morning. If your husband is still home I would get up at around 630, to do an hour from 630-730 so that you can be out of the house by 830.

I find that the morning is the best for me as i want to do NOTHING once I get home.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I'm a morning exerciser! I forced myself for the first week or so and now it comes naturally (I've been doing it for a few weeks now). I eat breakfast/prepare for my run when everyone's still sleeping, but everyone uses the bathroom to get ready for work while I'm on my run, so I return to an empty house!

I get up at 7 every morning, eat breakfast, dress, stretch, run the neighborhood for 20-30 minutes, return home to do 20-30 minutes of calisthenics, occasionally 15-30 minutes of Zumba or something else, shower, and call it quits. By 9:30, everything's done and I can begin my day! It helps me feel accomplished and happy, so usually my day goes well unless I skip a workout session! :happy:

I would suggest trying it before the kiddos wake up and see if you like it. Wait a few days so that your body adjusts to the flipped schedule (I used to run between 7 and 9 pm so it was a HUGE chance for me, at first) and determine whether it's worth continuing!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    whenever my 2 boys are quite! The oldest naps at 11am then the youngest wakes up and has a little light meal before lunch in his high chair and I do 30 day shred and a kettlebell workout. Then Im done for the day so I get it done between 8-11am
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I used to work out in the evenings after my kids went to bed. Now they stay up until 9-10 every night, so I started getting up in the morning. I never thought I could do it, but I've figured it out. I get up at 6:30, workout for 30 minutes, take a shower and get me and the kids ready for school or camp, and we're out of the house by 8:30. I'm not a morning person at all, but I started with this routine when doing a challenge on MFP, so I was motivated to do it. And now it's become a habit and I've gotten used to getting up earlier.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    My one year old is up at 5:30 like an alarm every morning. I get up at 4:30am some mornings and head out so I'm back to get him up. I leave his father home sleeping in case he does wake up early :wink:

I know it sucks. I hate the 4:30am wake up, but I like th results - good burn right off the bat and don't have to sweat it (so to speak) for the rest of the day!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    In the late evenings usually, after I've done most of my work for the day.
  • kazaroona
    kazaroona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You have a very hectic schedule! Is every single day like that for you? I used to feel guilty if I skipped exercising for a day, but I've really tried to stop feeling bad about it and I just work extra hard on the days I can get a good session in. If I can only do 60 minutes 3-4 days a week, I'm okay with that. Weeks that are slower I try to do every day. It just depends. And, my kiddos are older than yours, but they workout w/ me sometimes. It's pretty cute watching a 6 yr old do squat thruts... lol. I've also popped a kids dvd in to keep them busy so I could get some exercise time in. It sounds silly, but I also put on my workout clothes just as soon as I get home. Off go the work clothes and on goes the sports bra, shorts, and bandana (I sweat like a pig). If I'm all ready to go, it's harder to talk myself out of it.

And, YES to all the folks that have suggested having your husband help out more so you can take the time for yourself. My hubby is very supportive, and it's a huge help.

Most days are yeah.... I think from reading everyones posts that mornings are the way to go, I can see it works for most people here but any motivation tips are helpful as I am not a morning person! The thought of getting up at 5am fills me with horror so I need to get over that! Like I said in my original posts, excuses excuses. I wouldnt have to get up at a horrendous time, I could wake at 6.30 and do it, and have a kids dvd ready to go on the laptop so I can use the tv.

To be fair I dont do anything for my husband other than make a coffee, he's out of the house by 7.30, I just meant the logistics of one of us being in the bathroom and one feeding the child etc, but if I do it at 6.30 and get him to just do sons breakfast every day (which isnt a problem I just tend to get there first). For those who have kids you know that toddlers throw spanners in the works, like needing a wee 12 times or being coaxed to eat breakfast or emptying their bag for me to repack.

What kind of time do people go to bed, who work out in the mornings? I am guessing that being fit and getting used to it will mean that I'd not feel tired after a while if I am going to bed at 10- 10.30 and waking at 5? Are there any morning workout people who really hated mornings before they got into it?

Its just a change in lifestyle and making that change- I am grateful to the people who are helpful and understanding and remember this, I expected lots of people to be rude or judgmental because they have already fallen in love with morning exercise!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want to GOSH!

lol - jk/ Napoleon Dynamite reference...
  • kazaroona
    Options
    I'm so behind on reading peoples responses, thanks loads for your answers, espesh those who have kids and have had to really change their morning to working out when theyre not used to it!

You have all genuinely motivated me to get organised tomorrow morning and do it, so well done this has been your good deed today!!!xx
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

What kind of time do people go to bed, who work out in the mornings? I am guessing that being fit and getting used to it will mean that I'd not feel tired after a while if I am going to bed at 10- 10.30 and waking at 5? Are there any morning workout people who really hated mornings before they got into it?

I hated mornings. I still hate mornings. I like to stay up late. But I've made it work. I go to bed around 11 most nights, and I'm up around 6:30 to work out. I only do 20-30 minutes of exercise each morning. That's how I make it work. If I tried to do an hour, I'd never get out of bed! I cannot imagine waking at 5. Is there a reason you have to get up that early if you just need to be out of the house at 8:30?

I will say that I'm more awake in the mornings (after working out) than I used to be. Working out in the morning gives me energy. I do get more tired earlier at night. But I still end up staying up until 11 most times.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I hated mornings, and I still don't love them yet. Waking up at 7am, I usually get to bed around 10-11 but I feel completely refreshed if I'm in bed by 9. Play around with it and see what works for you!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have tried morning workouts and it was great having the workout done for the day. Now that my work schedule has changed, I'm already up around 5 ish . Me and mom used to get up at 4 and workout but I was so sluggish and sleepy, but I pumped it on out. Now I go straight to the gym from work on lifting days or home for a quick change on cardio days. As a newlywed, I try to prepare my meals on Sundays or my rest days in between lifting so the hubby won't complain about my late workouts.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I walk 2 miles or do the stairwell during my lunch break at work... where there is a will... there is a way to get exercise in...
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning on Sunday at the gym, 8am and evenings in a week.. I don't mind my family, after all they are sitting on the sofa...I am getting fit! :)
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can. In a perfect world I would run when the sun comes up each day and hit the gym just after the lunch hour rush. Unfortunately I have an unpredictable schedule and life and work and everything else often spoils my best laid plans. Today I was at the gym at 5am because I have dinner plans. A lot of nights – especially Friday and Saturday – I am in the gym at 10pm or later.
  • kazaroona
    Options

I hated mornings. I still hate mornings. I like to stay up late. But I've made it work. I go to bed around 11 most nights, and I'm up around 6:30 to work out. I only do 20-30 minutes of exercise each morning. That's how I make it work. If I tried to do an hour, I'd never get out of bed! I cannot imagine waking at 5. Is there a reason you have to get up that early if you just need to be out of the house at 8:30?

I will say that I'm more awake in the mornings (after working out) than I used to be. Working out in the morning gives me energy. I do get more tired earlier at night. But I still end up staying up until 11 most times.

No, I'd have to get up around 6.30, I must have had 5am on the brain when typing that, probably from shock haha! I wanted to get through the Ripped in 30 dvds, I would be so proud if I did so I am going to try and hold on to that, figure that by 7am I could have my exercise done for the day.

Its good to see a convert as it assures me that as a non morning person I can still do this!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For me sometimes, the only thing I do at home with any dedication is be on the computer, so I put mine up on a box on my desk and dance around in front of it when I am looking at it. At the least it keeps the core muscles more awake and in shape, and I can have a lot of fun and burn calories listening to music while I do things online.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    6AM-6:30AM - Cardio (Bike to work)
    3PM-3:30PM - Cardio (Bike home)
    6PM-6:30PM - Circuit training (weights, and light cardio)
    Saturday & Sunday, 7:30AM-9:30AM - 25-30 mile bike ride
  • kazaroona
    Options
    I walk 2 miles or do the stairwell during my lunch break at work... where there is a will... there is a way to get exercise in...

I think I need to do more exercise than that to lose weight, I already walk a mile to work and a mile back, and around a mile at lunchtime to get to the shops, but that doesnt really shift any weight, or earn me many more exercise calories. I walk at 3.5 mph but it doesnt get my heart rate up enough to feel that I have done a workout.