What is "woo"

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Basically anything "Dr" Oz promotes. What a blowhard.

I refer to him as a 'talking tampon' :#

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

HAHAhahahah!!
    Which brings in the other aspect, the more money a "concept" has being thrown at it, the better chance it's woo. For example, "ItWorks" and other wraps. The only thing that works is that they are effective at generating a retail transaction.

I have a former student who posts on Facebook almost every day about how good ItWorks! is. Such junk, and people will willingly throw away hard-earned $$ at it.

............secretly I hope her "business" fails
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Before I changed the channel (I was watching the previous show and didn't change fast enough before his whow started), Dr. Oz said he has a new way to cook rice so that it has only HALF THE CALORIES!

that's a solid example of woo.

I've never watched Dr. Oz, but I do cook, and if you were to get the rice to absorb twice as much water, then yeah, less calories.

Similarly, I was wondering why the calories of Fit & Trim deli meat was lower than the brands I buy and saw that the second ingredient was chicken stock. Adding low calorie liquid = calorie reduction.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Omfg you made me spit out my drink!!!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »

Omfg you made me spit out my drink!!!!

hahahahah :p

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A little history lesson here.

The term "woo" (if I recall correctly ) was originally coined by James Randi as woo-woo.
    "James Randi is the founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF). Randi began his career as a magician, but when he retired at age 60, he switched to investigating paranormal, occult, and supernatural claims, which he collectively calls "woo-woo." Although often referred to as a "debunker," Randi rejects that title owing to its perceived bias, instead describing himself as an "investigator". He has written about the paranormal, skepticism, and the history of magic. He was a frequent guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and is occasionally featured on the television program Penn & Teller: *kitten*!."

Randi just recently retired from the organization which bares his name "The James Randi Educational Foundation." A big component of the JREF was to test paranormal claims by offering a million dollars to prove if you indeed possess any supernatural powers. Many tried, all failed.

His busting of the fraud Yuri Gellar and exposing cold reading for what is classic skepticism in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w7jHYriFo

Randi is personal hero of mine, right up there with Carl Sagan.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Same here!! I met Randi a few years ago at a lecture he was doing at MIT... what a guy!

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This must be the 2015 MFP buzzword.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love the term "woo" and plan on looking for opportunities to use it frequently.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Before I changed the channel (I was watching the previous show and didn't change fast enough before his whow started), Dr. Oz said he has a new way to cook rice so that it has only HALF THE CALORIES!

Wasn't there a recent study that discussed the effects of coconut oil when mixed with rice?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A little history lesson here.

The term "woo" (if I recall correctly ) was originally coined by James Randi as woo-woo.
    "James Randi is the founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF). Randi began his career as a magician, but when he retired at age 60, he switched to investigating paranormal, occult, and supernatural claims, which he collectively calls "woo-woo." Although often referred to as a "debunker," Randi rejects that title owing to its perceived bias, instead describing himself as an "investigator". He has written about the paranormal, skepticism, and the history of magic. He was a frequent guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and is occasionally featured on the television program Penn & Teller: *kitten*!."

Randi just recently retired from the organization which bares his name "The James Randi Educational Foundation." A big component of the JREF was to test paranormal claims by offering a million dollars to prove if you indeed possess any supernatural powers. Many tried, all failed.

His busting of the fraud Yuri Gellar and exposing cold reading for what is classic skepticism in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w7jHYriFo

I watched parts of this just to see Johnny. He certainly gave the guy every opportunity to prove he was for real and remained polite while showcasing the fraud. It was pretty funny, too. Well done, Mr. Carson! :)

Is that Robert Loggia next to Mr. Psychic Liar guy? So hard to tell because it's fuzzy.

Johnny was the best. I miss him. Thanks for sharing that. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Wasn't there a recent study that discussed the effects of coconut oil when mixed with rice?

Yes - adding coconut oil right before cooking the rice, then cooling the rice for 12 hours after. In studies, they've reduced the calories by 10-12% in the current type of rice studied. They estimate it's possible that they could reduce the calories in one kind of rice by 50%, but not saying yet what kind of rice that is.... and everyone will have to cook their rice and then cool it for 12 hours.... and the study doesn't say what happens when you reheat it to eat it.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    "Woo", "derp" and "broscience" are terms that some people use to say that they believe others to be wrong. They base this on their idea of "science", sometimes correctly, sometimes not.

I have an 8 year old daughter. When I read "derp" I automatically think of MLP.

130232443562.gif?1305073704

Derpy hooves is my favorite pony.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    "Woo", "derp" and "broscience" are terms that some people use to say that they believe others to be wrong. They base this on their idea of "science", sometimes correctly, sometimes not.

LOL yes! My 8 and 10 year olds, and MFP, are the only places I've ever heard "derp" used.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

LOL yes! My 8 and 10 year olds, and MFP, are the only places I've ever heard "derp" used.

As a former World of Warcraft player, and Ventrilo user, it would not be uncommon to hear someone used the term "derp" when killing yourself by standing in fire, lol

Also referred to as "facepalming", and "head desking".

And one more completely off topic but for any Warcraft players, known as a 50 DKP minus!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options

As a former World of Warcraft player, and Ventrilo user, it would not be uncommon to hear someone used the term "derp" when killing yourself by standing in fire, lol

And one more completely off topic but for any Warcraft players, known as a 50 DKP minus!

Why former?? Can't wait for Legion!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Moar dots!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Yes. Cooking it a certain way with coconut oil can result in more of the rice cooking into resistant starch that acts like fiber. Since, like most fibers, gut bacteria have to ferment it into MCT's before a human can use the energy, fewer calories are humanly digestible.
    http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2015/03/low-calorie-healthy-rice-resistant-starch
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'll actually say that saying everything Dr. Oz sells on his show is getting close to woo one's self.

Claims aren't wrong or right because who makes them, they are right or wrong on the actual evidence for them. That said, as heuristic, I don't waste time relying on anything Dr. Oz presents - I'll make a slight exception if I ever find myself in need of performing thoracic surgery, in which case I'll listen to him just long enough to get someone stitched shut and then kindly ask him to not start saying one word about raspberry ketones.