What is "woo"

Options

Replies

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Alternately, it's often seen in the company of "hoo".

I'll get my coat.

LOL! Not quite sure why I found this so funny.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I'll get my coat.

Oh, Yoo!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    woo.gif
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    yeah and the big deal is your 100 gram of cooked rice (normally around 135ish calories) is now 50% less so about 62ish calories....but dont forget to calculate the tablespoon of coconut oil you added which is 117 calories.

A win win situation? ....right

95069916.png
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Hold up, though. How does it affect blood sugars (like diabetes, I mean); does anyone know? I miss my rice, lol!

I thought y'all were just kidding, because it's another coconut oil tip :grin:
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If I want to eat rice with only have 1/2 of the caloric intake then I eat 1/2 of the recommended portion. Not rocket science.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hold up, though. How does it affect blood sugars (like diabetes, I mean); does anyone know? I miss my rice, lol!

I am not saying that this is something anyone should do. It's just something that was trialed - and they didn't even reveal which kind of rice they used. To only save 10% of your calories by doing this is hardly worth all of the extra effort, and waiting 12 hours for the rice to cool, as well as not knowing if reheating changes anything in the caloric value.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    yoohoo_ama.jpg

Close, but not quite
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I am not saying that this is something anyone should do. It's just something that was trialed - and they didn't even reveal which kind of rice they used. To only save 10% of your calories by doing this is hardly worth all of the extra effort, and waiting 12 hours for the rice to cool, as well as not knowing if reheating changes anything in the caloric value.

If you eat it uncooked, it has even less calories. Fact.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I think of 'woo' as encompassing a lot of non-science based beliefs... Most of this is indeed pure bunk but some 'woo' of the traditional cultural ilk has been eventually scientifically verified. So I keep an open, critical & intuitive mind.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    According to Gallup's Clifton Strength Finder. WOO is an acronym for winning others over.
    http://www.gallup.com/businessjournal/721/woo.aspx
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's some made up word that people use to try to shame others into their way of thinking. It's basically calling someone stupid but in an attempt to appear less offensive. Don't let people shame your personal decisions with words like woo. It used to be derp but that's become too much of a pejorative. The same will happen with woo. Next people will use the next "clever" in an attempt to disguise thier mean spiritedness.

Maybe something like sipsy. It sounds harmless enough until people wise up to what others are doing.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'll get my coat.

@PeachyCarol: *rimshot*

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    It's some made up word that people use to try to shame others into their way of thinking. It's basically calling someone stupid but in an attempt to appear less offensive. Don't let people shame your personal decisions with words like woo. It used to be derp but that's become too much of a pejorative. The same will happen with woo. Next people will use the next "clever" in an attempt to disguise thier mean spiritedness.

Maybe something like sipsy. It sounds harmless enough until people wise up to what others are doing.

shoo?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

It is actually a real word. It isn't supposed to be used to make people feel stupid; if someone does use it that way then they are being rude and shouldn't do so.
    Typically it is used to mean that a particular plan that someone talking about, like the fad cleanse or detox of the moment, is not something that is going to work or should be used. It's not meant to shame but to show that something is another part of the long list of fads that don't work and should be avoided.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

It is actually a real word. It isn't supposed to be used to make people feel stupid; if someone does use it that way then they are being rude and shouldn't do so.
    Typically it is used to mean that a particular plan that someone talking about, like the fad cleanse or detox of the moment, is not something that is going to work or should be used. It's not meant to shame but to show that something is another part of the long list of fads that don't work and should be avoided.

If it was meant to inform, they'd use informative words like dangerous, harmful or misleading. They don't use those words. They use this made up word with some ambiguous meaning. If people are constantly having to ask what it means then its intent isn't to inform but to confuse. That's not what we should be doing as a helpful community. There's enough confusing diet and fitness information out there already for people to sift through without introducing an ambiguous word meant to ninja insult those that are simply less informed
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    What I say when I'm running down down a hill with my arms in the air! :smiley:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    What I say when I'm running down down a hill with my arms in the air! :smiley:

Like you just don't care?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If it was meant to inform, they'd use informative words like dangerous, harmful or misleading. They don't use those words.

Personally if I'm going to describe something as woo, using one of those alternatives would lend it far more credence than it deserves.

Where something is unsubstantiated bollocks nonsense then sometimes ridiculing the information is an entirely appropriate response.

• PeterJX
    PeterJX Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    A little history lesson here.

The term "woo" (if I recall correctly ) was originally coined by James Randi as woo-woo.
    "James Randi is the founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF). Randi began his career as a magician, but when he retired at age 60, he switched to investigating paranormal, occult, and supernatural claims, which he collectively calls "woo-woo." Although often referred to as a "debunker," Randi rejects that title owing to its perceived bias, instead describing himself as an "investigator". He has written about the paranormal, skepticism, and the history of magic. He was a frequent guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and is occasionally featured on the television program Penn & Teller: *kitten*!."

Randi just recently retired from the organization which bares his name "The James Randi Educational Foundation." A big component of the JREF was to test paranormal claims by offering a million dollars to prove if you indeed possess any supernatural powers. Many tried, all failed.

His busting of the fraud Yuri Gellar and exposing cold reading for what is classic skepticism in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w7jHYriFo

Randi is personal hero of mine, right up there with Carl Sagan.
    Is that Robert Loggia next to Mr. Psychic Liar guy? So hard to tell because it's fuzzy.
    That's actually Ricardo Montalban. Great Carson clip!