Medical Conditions Which Affect Weight: Separating Fact From Fiction

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    TDEE is an acronym for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Simply explained, it is resting metabolic rate (RMR) + exercise. Your TDEE will vary from day to day. MFP uses your inputs (gender, height, weight, and activity level) to estimate your TDEE. That doesn't mean it is your actual TDEE; it is but an estimate.

This depends somewhat on how you define "exercise". MFP in general works with TDEE = RMR + daily activity + exercise so the exercise part can be zero on some days and TDEE will be greater than RMR (by ~20% if "sedentary").
  • yarwell
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    TEF is clearly redundant and included in BMR

Nope, BMR is unfed and hence has no TEF component.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Hang on

Doesn't NEAT include BMR?

Eg BMR+ activity level = NEAT

NEAT+ purposeful exercise = TDEE

That's how I have always used it

indeed, and you haven't been correct. Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is not part of BMR nor does it include BMR, it is energy used on activity (eg fidgetting) that isn't "exercise".

The root of your confusion might be the people who talk of the "NEAT method" vs the "TDEE method" where in the former case (as used by MFP's algorithm) you take a deficit of the BMR + NEAT (possibly + TEF) and cancel out exercise by eating back, in the latter case you take a deficit from the true TDEE.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Hang on

Doesn't NEAT include BMR?

Eg BMR+ activity level = NEAT

NEAT+ purposeful exercise = TDEE

That's how I have always used it

indeed, and you haven't been correct. Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is not part of BMR nor does it include BMR, it is energy used on activity (eg fidgetting) that isn't "exercise".

The root of your confusion might be the people who talk of the "NEAT method" vs the "TDEE method" where in the former case (as used by MFP's algorithm) you take a deficit of the BMR + NEAT (possibly + TEF) and cancel out exercise by eating back, in the latter case you take a deficit from the true TDEE.

What do you mean I haven't been correct @yarwell

I said NEAT = BMR+ activity

You said NEAT is not included in BMR

Same thing

I am not confused by NEAT vs TDEE as I understand how to differentiate purposeful exercise from activity level
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Holy thread to catch up on.

A few notes. Not understanding what goes into the CO portion of CICO does not invalidate it.

Ugh, I had like 4 other things I wanted to comment on, but they were like 4 pages back and now I don't remember.

Anyways, just wanted to share my story, although it's been on the boards a few places.

I'm reactive hypoglycemic which apparently runs in my dad's family (he has it and just found out last weekend my aunt does too). So, I found out early that I shouldn't eat cereal for breakfast (especially since I like it dry, so no milk). This stems from me testing at a blood sugar of 30 two hours after eating cereal back in middle school (my mom is diabetic and had the equipment to test).

Occasionally, I'd eat stuff that I wasn't supposed to and suffer the consequences, but really as long as you eat protein and fats with your carbs, you're fine, and eating more often can help as well. This was all naturally regulated as a child because I ate a ton of food and preferred fatty foods in general (seriously, graham crackers with butter is amazing). So, I became very overweight with relatively few symptoms of low blood sugar.

Fast forward to me attempting to lose weight, and being relatively successful at it (I'd lost 25lbs since starting mfp, and about 60 total). Then suddenly I'd start getting shaky, sweating, be unable to focus every few hours. Every day. My typical fixes didn't work, and so obviously I'd eat more. However, that almost never seemed to work to actually make me feel better overall; it would head off acute symptoms, but I never actually felt "good".

I went to my doctor (my gynecologist because that's the only one I see with any regularity), and she ran some blood work. I'd also bought my own testing supplies and had about two weeks worth of data, testing before I ate and two hours after meals. My BS was consistently in the low 50s. My A1c cam back at 4.5, which my doctor said she'd never seen one that low (no clue if it's actually that rare, but it freaked me out at the time.

She referred me to an endo, who started treating me as she would a diabetic. She put me on a medication to help prevent BS spikes after carbs (I didn't understand that on because my BS never spiked high), and had me test my BS every time before I drove. If it wasn't above 90, I needed to eat a snack. I ended up eating more than 3000 calories a day. I'd run to the grocery store for two items, need to snack before I drove there, and before the return drive, I'd need another snack because I'd be low again.

And again, I spent all day being miserable. I don't think I laughed for 3 months. I have no clue why my boyfriend stayed with me because I was a *completely not nice person to the extent that I can't describe it on these boards without violating TOS*. But, I also started using it as an excuse to partake in binges (I have a binging history). My BS was 84? Ooh yay! I can have peanut butter crackers before my drive? Symptoms of hypo? I'm going to eat nonstop until they go away! I made a lot of bad choices because I had an excuse. I can see that looking back now, but I felt very justified at the time.

So, the endo wasn't helping, so I decided to go for a third opinion to just a family practice doctor. She told me to stop everything the endo had told me. While it is very common for a diabetic who has low BS to drop much lower quickly and pass out, it's pretty rare for non diabetics (although not unheard of). And she felt what I was doing was creating a huge roller coaster for my bs. She suggested I go low carb.

I took her advice, but felt the low carb was odd. Hell, I'd been doing relatively low carb for a few months before all this started. Oh hey. That got me thinking, I'd been messing with low carb (was giving paleontology a go) and that kind of seemed like it kicked all this off.

So, I ignored everyone and added more carbs in, but mostly at night because that's when I seem to tolerate them best. I skip breakfast, but eat lots of small snacks an meals saving the majority of my calories for night. And I'm back to losing. I'm not perfect, and there are times I still get low blood sugar. At those times, I know I can eat a spoonful of peanut butter and wait out the symptoms and they will go away, but I still have the urge to eat continously until they do. Right now I win that battle about 50% of the time, which I'll take. I also have anxiety, which mimics the same symptoms, and it can be difficult to decipher if it's low blood sugar or a panic attack.

But, I also realize I have a choice about what goes into my mouth, and what does will impact my weight. And I've continued to lose another 35lbs, although I still have another 25 at least to go.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    In the real world people do not trot off to the doc with a list of symptoms and get an accurate diagnosis, appropriate treatment and timely resolution - especially for endocrine problems.

Darn, so House isn't a documentary ?

Just a delicious fantasy. :'(
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

A few notes. Not understanding what goes into the CO portion of CICO does not invalidate it.

Ugh, I had like 4 other things I wanted to comment on, but they were like 4 pages back and now I don't remember.

Anyways, just wanted to share my story, although it's been on the boards a few places.

I'm reactive hypoglycemic which apparently runs in my dad's family (he has it and just found out last weekend my aunt does too). So, I found out early that I shouldn't eat cereal for breakfast (especially since I like it dry, so no milk). This stems from me testing at a blood sugar of 30 two hours after eating cereal back in middle school (my mom is diabetic and had the equipment to test).

Occasionally, I'd eat stuff that I wasn't supposed to and suffer the consequences, but really as long as you eat protein and fats with your carbs, you're fine, and eating more often can help as well. This was all naturally regulated as a child because I ate a ton of food and preferred fatty foods in general (seriously, graham crackers with butter is amazing). So, I became very overweight with relatively few symptoms of low blood sugar.

Fast forward to me attempting to lose weight, and being relatively successful at it (I'd lost 25lbs since starting mfp, and about 60 total). Then suddenly I'd start getting shaky, sweating, be unable to focus every few hours. Every day. My typical fixes didn't work, and so obviously I'd eat more. However, that almost never seemed to work to actually make me feel better overall; it would head off acute symptoms, but I never actually felt "good".

I went to my doctor (my gynecologist because that's the only one I see with any regularity), and she ran some blood work. I'd also bought my own testing supplies and had about two weeks worth of data, testing before I ate and two hours after meals. My BS was consistently in the low 50s. My A1c cam back at 4.5, which my doctor said she'd never seen one that low (no clue if it's actually that rare, but it freaked me out at the time.

She referred me to an endo, who started treating me as she would a diabetic. She put me on a medication to help prevent BS spikes after carbs (I didn't understand that on because my BS never spiked high), and had me test my BS every time before I drove. If it wasn't above 90, I needed to eat a snack. I ended up eating more than 3000 calories a day. I'd run to the grocery store for two items, need to snack before I drove there, and before the return drive, I'd need another snack because I'd be low again.

And again, I spent all day being miserable. I don't think I laughed for 3 months. I have no clue why my boyfriend stayed with me because I was a *completely not nice person to the extent that I can't describe it on these boards without violating TOS*. But, I also started using it as an excuse to partake in binges (I have a binging history). My BS was 84? Ooh yay! I can have peanut butter crackers before my drive? Symptoms of hypo? I'm going to eat nonstop until they go away! I made a lot of bad choices because I had an excuse. I can see that looking back now, but I felt very justified at the time.

So, the endo wasn't helping, so I decided to go for a third opinion to just a family practice doctor. She told me to stop everything the endo had told me. While it is very common for a diabetic who has low BS to drop much lower quickly and pass out, it's pretty rare for non diabetics (although not unheard of). And she felt what I was doing was creating a huge roller coaster for my bs. She suggested I go low carb.

I took her advice, but felt the low carb was odd. Hell, I'd been doing relatively low carb for a few months before all this started. Oh hey. That got me thinking, I'd been messing with low carb (was giving paleontology a go) and that kind of seemed like it kicked all this off.

So, I ignored everyone and added more carbs in, but mostly at night because that's when I seem to tolerate them best. I skip breakfast, but eat lots of small snacks an meals saving the majority of my calories for night. And I'm back to losing. I'm not perfect, and there are times I still get low blood sugar. At those times, I know I can eat a spoonful of peanut butter and wait out the symptoms and they will go away, but I still have the urge to eat continously until they do. Right now I win that battle about 50% of the time, which I'll take. I also have anxiety, which mimics the same symptoms, and it can be difficult to decipher if it's low blood sugar or a panic attack.

But, I also realize I have a choice about what goes into my mouth, and what does will impact my weight. And I've continued to lose another 35lbs, although I still have another 25 at least to go.

I really relate to you. I suspect I have reactive hypoglycemia. I had hypo as a child so I guess it now came back. I feel like I was going through a roller coaster as well with my sugar.
    I gained about 30 pounds from always trying to remedy the symptoms with more food. Smaller meals, no processed sugar, small portion of carbs or not eating carbs on its own helps a lot, but that took a while to figure out. So yes it is CICO but for a while no matter how much I wanted to be in control of CICO, if I wasnt feeling well I needed to eat more. Hypoglycemia didnt directly cause weight gain, but I really couldnt take countrol of my 'calories in' until I figured out how I should be eating.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I really relate to you. I suspect I have reactive hypoglycemia. I had hypo as a child so I guess it now came back. I feel like I was going through a roller coaster as well with my sugar.
    I gained about 30 pounds from always trying to remedy the symptoms with more food. Smaller meals, no processed sugar, small portion of carbs or not eating carbs on its own helps a lot, but that took a while to figure out. So yes it is CICO but for a while no matter how much I wanted to be in control of CICO, if I wasnt feeling well I needed to eat more. Hypoglycemia didnt directly cause weight gain, but I really couldnt take countrol of my 'calories in' until I figured out how I should be eating.

Yup, controlling the medical issues is very important, and once people can get that control, then applying CICO and maintaining a deficit becomes much easier.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    @auddii, thanks for sharing your story and for explaining it all so thoroughly. That really sounds like a tough situation to get a handle on. Congratulations on all the progress you've made so far.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @tomteboda thank you for taking the time to share your mother's story.

A takeaway from this is that while CI-CO is not invalidated from your mother's example, diet alone can't resolve her weight issues.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I wish this gigantic thread could be split in three, one for the discussions of what comprises CICO and the acronyms that are included in the CO; one for, the rare medically dangerous, thing that shall not be named; and the one Carol actually titled.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    @tomteboda Reading your Mum's story is heartbreaking, just heartbreaking. I am so sorry for what she must be going through. She would feel very blessed to have your unconditional love, support and understanding. <3

This. Makes me very sad.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I had a heart valve fail. Latent birth defect, actually, my aortic valve was half normal size and refused to open much. I was never especially athletic even as a kid. I never knew; it was Ohio in the 60's and if you were the un-athletic kid you just studied a lot instead and got teased a lot. But, being deformed, the valve's function began to diminish when I was in my 40s. I stopped jogging. Seemed to hurt too much. I lost interest. Increasingly, I passed on visiting the gym. My top speed on the treadmill declined. After awhile I stopped going - getting up the stairs was painful. Slowly over a 5 year period I became sedentary. Work went well and I spent more time at my desk. I became a manager. Longer hours and more time sitting at my desk. I just thought I was getting old. (I've never grown old before, so I didn't think much of it). Not watching calories, I didn't reign in my food intake. So I became obese, the natural result of CICO.

Anyway, a job change led to a decision to get back to exercising, which led to chest pain, which led to examination, then to discovery, and finally to surgical repair. After surgery, I entered cardiac re-hab. I was amazed at the difference adequate blood flow made to my exercise tolerance. I even started to enjoy exercise!! The cold creepy ache that I always experienced when active was gone. In its place this warm glow-ey feeling! Startling! I began to push the nursing staff and ultimately my doctors for an increase in maximum allowed heart rate. One day, noticing the nurse appeared busy - they're always understaffed in that profession! - I set the treadmill for jog and let loose. You never saw a staff member run to take a blood pressure that fast!

Anyway, she forgave me. I continued to push and to improve markedly. She also recommended a calorie counting using a food journal. Being a geek, I found MFP and set about using that. That was three years and about 60+ lbs. ago. Two years ago I transitioned back to my old gym and hired a personal trainer. Found one familiar with heart patients but was still willing to push. I always pushed myself a little harder than he asked. A few more repetitions, a little more weight, always take the optional exercise.

After 6 months I joined a boot camp style class with TRX and other torture implements. Really kicked my rear end. The look of shock when I returned for the next class. I would learn later that the class was popular with trainers and as a way to get their exercise - I had walked blindly into the "top gun" set of fitness at the gym. Doh! But I kept at it and the months passed. I grew smaller, lumpier and harder. Still counting calories. Down an additional 20 lbs. But best of all for me, I grew stronger.

I took up lifting too. Started with Stronglifts 5x5. Moved to Madcow 5x5 when the weights became too heavy for me to add additional weight each workout. Two weeks ago, I squat-lifted my body weight. I can deadlift 1.25x my bodyweight. Not bad for the kid who was always teased in school for being weak, slow and overweight.

I petitioned the FAA to renew my aeromedical certificate. I submitted a bunch of test results showing every last detail of my body's function measured out to a couple digits past the decimal point. Last January, I was restored to full flying status, subject to undergoing the same bunch of tests every year, of course.

So if there's a moral to my story, other than control your exercise and your intake, I guess "Never Give up" would be a good moral.

Amazing, inspiring story! Thanks for sharing. I am just starting with the TRX, I played around with it earlier, but it is part of my routine now.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I had a heart valve fail. Latent birth defect, actually, my aortic valve was half normal size and refused to open much. I was never especially athletic even as a kid. I never knew; it was Ohio in the 60's and if you were the un-athletic kid you just studied a lot instead and got teased a lot. But, being deformed, the valve's function began to diminish when I was in my 40s. I stopped jogging. Seemed to hurt too much. I lost interest. Increasingly, I passed on visiting the gym. My top speed on the treadmill declined. After awhile I stopped going - getting up the stairs was painful. Slowly over a 5 year period I became sedentary. Work went well and I spent more time at my desk. I became a manager. Longer hours and more time sitting at my desk. I just thought I was getting old. (I've never grown old before, so I didn't think much of it). Not watching calories, I didn't reign in my food intake. So I became obese, the natural result of CICO.

Anyway, a job change led to a decision to get back to exercising, which led to chest pain, which led to examination, then to discovery, and finally to surgical repair. After surgery, I entered cardiac re-hab. I was amazed at the difference adequate blood flow made to my exercise tolerance. I even started to enjoy exercise!! The cold creepy ache that I always experienced when active was gone. In its place this warm glow-ey feeling! Startling! I began to push the nursing staff and ultimately my doctors for an increase in maximum allowed heart rate. One day, noticing the nurse appeared busy - they're always understaffed in that profession! - I set the treadmill for jog and let loose. You never saw a staff member run to take a blood pressure that fast!

Anyway, she forgave me. I continued to push and to improve markedly. She also recommended a calorie counting using a food journal. Being a geek, I found MFP and set about using that. That was three years and about 60+ lbs. ago. Two years ago I transitioned back to my old gym and hired a personal trainer. Found one familiar with heart patients but was still willing to push. I always pushed myself a little harder than he asked. A few more repetitions, a little more weight, always take the optional exercise.

After 6 months I joined a boot camp style class with TRX and other torture implements. Really kicked my rear end. The look of shock when I returned for the next class. I would learn later that the class was popular with trainers and as a way to get their exercise - I had walked blindly into the "top gun" set of fitness at the gym. Doh! But I kept at it and the months passed. I grew smaller, lumpier and harder. Still counting calories. Down an additional 20 lbs. But best of all for me, I grew stronger.

I took up lifting too. Started with Stronglifts 5x5. Moved to Madcow 5x5 when the weights became too heavy for me to add additional weight each workout. Two weeks ago, I squat-lifted my body weight. I can deadlift 1.25x my bodyweight. Not bad for the kid who was always teased in school for being weak, slow and overweight.

I petitioned the FAA to renew my aeromedical certificate. I submitted a bunch of test results showing every last detail of my body's function measured out to a couple digits past the decimal point. Last January, I was restored to full flying status, subject to undergoing the same bunch of tests every year, of course.

So if there's a moral to my story, other than control your exercise and your intake, I guess "Never Give up" would be a good moral.

Amazing, inspiring story! Thanks for sharing. I am just starting with the TRX, I played around with it earlier, but it is part of my routine now.

I concur, amazing story of perseverance. My trainer is a big fan of TRX, we've introduced one-legged moves into my routines lately. They are killer for working stabilizing muscles, and very hard for a klutz like me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    In any event, it would be like asking everyone to acknowledge that CICO is not absolute even after it's been proven to be flawed. As much as I can try, it isn't going to happen even when some argue that it is absolute because the flaw occurs in a minority of cases (which acknowledges the flaw while simultaneously denying it).

CICO isn't flawed. Medical conditions can either change CI or CO, but they can't change physics; the total amount of energy is remaining constant in the absence of any nuclear fission or fusion occurring in your body.

Ultimately, calories lost because of epithelial malabsorption, calories lost from glycosuria, proteinuria, or lipiduria, etc. are all "calories out", as it's energy-containing substances that leave the body.

"Calories out" is not exactly the same as "calories burned", although in most people it's quite close.

It depends on definition. Most posts I've seen mentioning CICO were based on the definition of CO being RMR + exercise. That seems to be the consensus on the MFP forums.

No, it's not. That's your assumption. I have repeated and keep repeating and many other posters will keep telling yo that all these other things that rankinsect mentioned are included in it.

I wish I could click a like button, rankinsenct was spot on.

I hardly think you are better than me to say what is in "most posts I've seen." Nonetheless, excretion is in addition to what most others in this thread have mentioned. So there is still that flaw.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    In any event, it would be like asking everyone to acknowledge that CICO is not absolute even after it's been proven to be flawed. As much as I can try, it isn't going to happen even when some argue that it is absolute because the flaw occurs in a minority of cases (which acknowledges the flaw while simultaneously denying it).

CICO isn't flawed. Medical conditions can either change CI or CO, but they can't change physics; the total amount of energy is remaining constant in the absence of any nuclear fission or fusion occurring in your body.

Ultimately, calories lost because of epithelial malabsorption, calories lost from glycosuria, proteinuria, or lipiduria, etc. are all "calories out", as it's energy-containing substances that leave the body.

"Calories out" is not exactly the same as "calories burned", although in most people it's quite close.

It depends on definition. Most posts I've seen mentioning CICO were based on the definition of CO being RMR + exercise. That seems to be the consensus on the MFP forums.

No, it's not. That's your assumption. I have repeated and keep repeating and many other posters will keep telling yo that all these other things that rankinsect mentioned are included in it.

I wish I could click a like button, rankinsenct was spot on.

I hardly think you are better than me to say what is in "most posts I've seen." Nonetheless, excretion is in addition to what most others in this thread have mentioned. So there is still that flaw.

The flaw is in your perception, not what CICO actually is in a scientific sense. You keep wanting to parse the phrase to make yourself right, and in so doing are derailing this thread.

With all due respect? Please stop.

It has been explained to you time and time again that the real science of CICO is absolute.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    TDEE is an acronym for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Simply explained, it is resting metabolic rate (RMR) + exercise. Your TDEE will vary from day to day. MFP uses your inputs (gender, height, weight, and activity level) to estimate your TDEE. That doesn't mean it is your actual TDEE; it is but an estimate.

This depends somewhat on how you define "exercise". MFP in general works with TDEE = RMR + daily activity + exercise so the exercise part can be zero on some days and TDEE will be greater than RMR (by ~20% if "sedentary").

Yes, I know my explanation was simplified (hence the "simply put" part) But to clarify, I'm counting all exercise, including wgetting up an going to the toilet and other small things that is not necessarily extra recreational activity.

I think it is possible for MFP users who participate in recreation most days to enter a high level of activity and then log their exercise as well. This is a more clear method to look at demonstrate the difference between normal activity and extra exercise. Some people's activity is another person's exercise. It is a way that users can accidentally miscalculate their allotted calories.