Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @Rachel0778 Hey, thank you, yeah it sucks, yeah I was told that more protein intake the better.
    I am always looking into new things to try, I have actually been looking into getting some lentils and possibly some barely, yes I love fruit and veg, quark is like the best thing I have discovered having no fat, it goes great as a substitute for mayo... I am hoping I can go back to my normal routine after I get my gallbladder out, thats if I get it out.. although I may never be able to go back as sometimes even with your gallbladder out you can still get complications with consuming too much fat, its probably for the best if I am honest, that way I can continue losing weight and then maintain that weight quite easily :neutral: I used to have a very unhealthy relationship with food, I probably still do if I'm honest so I guess the idea of not being able to have take out now and then or having to order something low fat whilst eating out is upsetting to me, oh well :)
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hi, girls!

I've been avoiding MFP for a while now. Took me a long time to acknowledge that I've hit a crisis. I've been gaining and losing a few kg for the past 2,5months and the statistics hurt my eyes: +3,6kg and +2cm in all areas since May as of today.

As I moved country, moved gym, my daily routine went from active to passive, I lost appetite for working out, spent a lot of time at home and ate too many calories. I think I went through all the stages of grief for this weight gain. At first I was in shock, how is it possible that I've lost 23kg and now the weightloss has stopped! Then got to denial and convinced myself that it's just my body adjusting and I've hit a plateau. Then the anger came, cause it was a bloody long plateau and +/- 2kg all the time. Then I started working out again (which has thank god been continuous at least 3-4 times a week ever since), but still ate so much crap in huge volumes. Binge eating came back. It truly hurts my eyes to look at my Lifsum app and see all the red calorie statistics. Then I got to the 'depression', my mother saw me in a bikini and said I've put weight back on my hips and tummy.
    You can't imagine the fear I had realizing I've allowed to put back 5,6kg!

Now I'm on recovery, lost -2kg (tummy) of those 5,6kg, still 3,6kg(hips :( ) to go to be back to my May body. And then 8kg to lose till goal weight.

This is really tough to write, cause a +3,6kg set back makes my heart hurt, cause I know how much I worked for those -23kg, that I've wasted more than 2 months, I feel guilty and like I've abused my body.

Ohh,It is what it is. Instead of 8kg I now have 11,6kg to lose. In 4 weeks I'm moving again and will be back in active lifestyle and back to my beloved indoor cycling. I'm feeling sad but optimistic.

Off to gym now to burn the damage I've done. Next time I'm checking in here I swear to god I'll be back to -23kg.

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @gymprincess1234! We've missed you. I hope you don't beat yourself up too much about the gain, it happens to all of us and you've been going through some major life transitions. It sounds like you've put a good routine back into place and are setting yourself up for success. Keep looking forward to the goal, you're doing great!

@RamboKitty87 Hopefully your body adjusts quickly after the surgery and allows you to at least enjoy healthy fat sources. I think most of us here have an unhealthy relationship with food so you've definitely found the right group. Glad to have you here!

Yesterday was a crappy day. Finances are really stressing me out with the house purchase. I got away from the house to take a dance class which helped calm me down quite a bit. My SO is also amazing. He's likely getting a big year end bonus that will hopefully help significantly with all of my down payment worries. He literally laughed out loud when I said I've been irresponsible with money since I'm a pretty frugal person and my level of splurge is very different than other people's. We're still going to start the process soon, but he made me realize that we don't have to jump on anything unless it's absolutely perfect and we have everything financially in place. I'm so lucky to have such a great person as a partner.

On the weight front, I can tell I'm still super bloated from vacation and it shows in my clothes, ugh. Luckily there's nothing on the docket this week to throw me off.
  • rachelcalsbeek
    rachelcalsbeek Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds like you have the right mindset to get back on track, @gymprincess1234, and in my opinion, that is the most important thing!

@Rachel0778 Buying a house can definitely be stressful! We went through that process last year. But it sounds like you have an amazing and supporting partner, which will make it that much easier. :smile:

My camping trip was a lot of fun! I ate reasonably most of the time, and I limited my drinking, although the drinks I did have were more sugary and calorie filled than I would normally have (fruity mixed drinks, margaritas, etc.). On Sunday, on the way home, I really splurged for lunch, and I splurged again for dinner. On Monday, the scale was up 2 lbs, but I'm back down today.

I have been feeling a little weak at the gym the last two weeks, like I can't do anything the things I could do before and that I was moving backwards. After the break I took (although I did ride hills on my bike one day and that was BRUTAL), I was back full-force Monday. It felt great! I did skip the class last night (I napped :astonished:), but when I woke up at 8:30 pm, my fiance and I did C25K for the first time, so I did get some activity in. Man, I am a bad runner, haha. I am looking forward to seeing improvement! Tonight is kickboxing and yoga. I'm glad that it has been so easy to get back on track, because in the past when I got off track, I would stay there... which is why I ended up where I was!

Anyway, getting back to work has been rough. We've had some stress with the hotel where we have a block of rooms selling out because of an unexpected concert event, and we've been struggling to find somewhere else in town for our guests to stay. We have a lot of people coming from out of town, so it's been a big issue. I don't want to hound people for RSVPs... but I kind of need them now so that I can get the rooms we need! I'm sure it'll all get sorted out, but it's something I really don't want to deal with.
  • velocity60
    velocity60 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy I found this group & thank god it's active ! I'm back on MFP because I love the motivation that it brings ! It's inspiring to me & really represents true community . So many wonderful people all over the world . I love it & thank you for letting me be a part of your group . I at least hope I can interject humor ! Here's Bella when she finds out there are no meatballs left . 00d6nuycj81m.jpg
  • gymprincess1234
    Options
    Thanks girls! I went to the gym and took some photos to see where I'm at. Terrible quality, but on the left side me in May, and on the right side me today.
    My waist definitely shows the +2cm, and my bum is poking out more (who knows, because of squats or extra protein) but to my relief, at least overall I don't look that much bigger. 2v39gtovuddp.jpg
    tz4btpsd1s56.jpg
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @rachelbachel32 I'm glad to hear that you took that break to let your body recuperate, it sounds like you were getting symptoms of overtraining! I hope work starts to mellow down for you.

@gymprincess1234 I'm glad your progress photos were able to put things in perspective. You look great!

Welcome @velocity60! Glad to have you as a part of the group! Love the photo of your pup, I totally know that panicked look when meatballs are gone (although mine has resting sadface which he uses entirely to his advantage to guilt us into sharing!)

At crossfit last night I learned how to do a jerk (get the bar over my head in an explosive motion) and I was actually good at it! I'm really excited to see my progress from now until this time next year since I'm committing to a year membership. We've got a rib contest going on in town today and one of the competitors is an alumni so he's bringing in lunches to my work so that we can try out his stuff. It's higher cals than I normally do but 120% worth it so I'm excited. Other than that, nothing new to report, I hope you all have a great Thursday!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Rambokitty, sorry to hear about your gallbladder, hope it gets resolved soon, I started eating peanut butter powder some months ago, protein & low fat. I find I don't need jam with it, I just make it a little thinner. Glad you're back gymprincess, sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Don't be so hard on yourself, you are moving forward & so you are a success!Rachel0778, try not to stress. We're short of $ this month as well. Husband had to buy 2 tires for the truck & pg&e is high this month with the 100+ degree weather too. we get pain once a month, just got paid so we have to make do with what we have left for 4 weeks!! I finally went back to gym class monday after not going for 1 1/2 weeks due to my trip to see my dtr & my toe. I've been feeling hungry at night lately around 9pm. Last night I used all the will power I had not to eat anything but it was hard. Hoping with starting back with the HIIT classes I'll start to lose again
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    u155uybk4o8z.jpg

Happy Meme Friday!!!!

@Evamutt Glad you're getting back into the swing of things now that your toe is healing up

I was legitimately going to go for a run this morning. I had my gear on and everything. But then my dog literally followed me around the house wagging his tail until I caved and did a puppy walk instead. He's lucky he's cute ;) I'm going to try to make up for it this weekend. TGIF everyone!
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    So I have a confession to make. I have been totally lagging behind when it come to logging food and exercising. Before yesterday it had been about a week since I had logged a full day and about a week since I did any kind of exercising apart from a short walk in the evenings after dinner with the DH. But yesterday I reached a point where I figured out it's up to me to be the motivation I need to keep going. I can't wait for outside stimuli to be the catalyst that I need to get moving again. So yesterday I got back in the saddle. Faithfully logged a full day's worth of meals and went on a 3.71 mile walk in the afternoon and then did 30 minutes of yoga. It felt like it had been a month since I have done anything like that. It's so weird. I was dreading stepping on the scale this morning but I did and was pleasantly surprised to find that it had gone down a few ounces! 170.0lbs! Just one more point and I'll be out of the dreaded 170's! So now I need to keep that motivation going! 160's here I come!!!!
  • Evamutt
    Options
    That's great HGSmith. I don't know the facts for this but I always wondered if you stop over eating for a period of time, if your body changes somehow & you don't gain weight back like in the begining, that is a while after you maintain. My youngest son lost over 100lbs when he started at 18, he's now 32. He has never gained it back. He eats healthy for the most part but does have fast food when he travels for his job, but he does like to eat. When we go over he always grills something & has large portion plus they like grilled veggies. He always shares some recipe with me. Since my hubbs lost the weight due to not having upper teeth for 6 months & making all his meals in the nutrabullit, he's had his teeth since last november, he does eat more or less the way he used to, although he really tries not to have so many sweets & if he eats too much greasy stuff it makes him feel sick but he likes to eat all day, like he used to but hasn't gained weight back. He developed heart problems so quit going to the gym since last Dec so his belly is soft & round rather than flat like when he went but weighs the same.Always wondered about that, if your metabolism changes some how.
    On a personal note, I met with my trainer friday & lost 5% body fat since June 12. I'm back to HIIT classes now that my toe is better & my trainer gave me an eating plan. She herself lost 70 lbs before she became a trainer. She told me to eat 6 times/day, every 2.5hrs. I've pretty much stopped losing wt 2 months ago because I'm not willing to eat 1240cal/day for 1 lb/wk. I stuck with it for 10months & lost 42lbs.My TDEE is 1740 so I SHOULD be losing a little but I haven't been. I eat around 1500, sometimes as much as 1600 & want to lose 10-15lbs more. She said I could do it by exercise & eating often so I started doing that tho it wasn't easy as I really dislike food in the morning but had some cantaloupe withing 30 min after waking then more after walking dogs & cleaning & had less calories for lunch than usual. It's SO hard changing a habit, isn't it? I know they say how long it takes to get a new habit but even after several months if I'm not careful I go back to eating twice a day, ugh. I know ppl on here say it doesn't matter how often or when you eat but personally it does make a difference to me. Any of you experience this?
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @HGSmith0920 Good for you for staying accountable and getting back on the exercise wagon! You are soooo close to the 160s!

@Evamutt I actually have the opposite problem where if I don't eat often enough I turn into a ravenous hangry monster and eat ALL the food. Your son sounds like such a great role model to have around, what an amazing accomplishment! Other than eating times is anything else different about the food plan?

I had an amazing weekend. Friday we had friends over for a 90s action movie night. Saturday I volunteered for a derby girls event so I spent a lot of time on skates moving around. Saturday night was the end of the season derby gala. I definitely had too many sweets, but we had a lot of fun. Sunday was gloriously a day where I had no plans and nowhere to be. I ended up going to the gym with my SO and running 5.5 miles on the dreadmill! I haven't been doing over 3, and even that is usually only once a month since I got so burned out with running so I'm amazed I was able to blast out 5.5 and not even feel sore today. Cross training really works!

On the downside, I finally faced the music and got on the scale. I'm going to start trying to weigh every day and focus more on my healthy habits since I've been letting things slide. It's time to take the bull by the horns before things get out of hand!
  • Evamutt
    Options
    only difference is for me to eat something. She said even protein powder in water is good. You are so active Rachel0778. Wish I can just skate but my balance is not good any more, tried it a few years ago & I almost fell just being on the grass. I weigh every morning & once during the day. Seeing the scale first thing keeps me motavated to see if I go down any even by a few .points. Today I'm watching one of my grand sons. This is my middle son's son, he lost 40lbs so far!! He's doing it by eating more often. He gets off work at 11:30 pm & that's when he was eating & not eating anything during the day, but now he is & is loosing.
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    Ate a really tasty and not too terrible dinner calorie-wise..but I ate way too much of it and it put me way over calories. And it was raining all day and I got home late from work. I spent about an hour pacing behind the teller line but since my Jawbone broke I haven't had a way of tracking my steps :'( I miss the darn thing! We are so tight financially that there isn't really any way for me to a new tracker for a while. But I'll keep up my steps and try to figure it out on my own. It's almost bedtime for me. Have a great night everyone!
  • Evamutt
    Options
    I was so sleepy when I got to my grandson's I ended up eating some oreo cookies. Unusual for me since I hardly ever want to eat sweets. Fortunately I didn't eat much before I left. I ate all my exercise calories today so had 5 calories left over.I fell asleep on couch when I got home at 4 & didn't wake up till 5:30 but managed to make myself go to gym class.My foot still hurts cause of my hurt toe so I had to modify everything. My trainer pulled me aside & asked my permission to post my stats & progress in the lobby of the gym! She has a few age categories she wants to post so she picked me for my category! no pictures, which I'm glad about. This really motivates me. HGSmith, we are tight financially this month too. Had to buy battery & brakes for truck & have my extra annual gym dues this month too. Have to be careful with buying any more groceries too plus I worry that one of my dogs might have to go to the vet. I do have a little put aside for them, hope I don't have to use it. found out we need a catalytic converter before we get our truck smoged & registered this year. Fortunately we have several months to save for that. It's a blessing hubbs was a mechanic & does most everything himself. Have a good night everyone
  • HGSmith0920
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well, a whole bunch of awesome things happened yesterday and today! My Daddy picked up my new laptop from his computer whiz friend and is letting me send him a check for $50 when I have it. This thing is great! I'm totally in love! My old one I bought brand new in 2009. It lasted me a good long while but as it got older it got slower and slower! Plus the screen was almost completely detached from the keyboard. Lol. This one is just sooo nice!

Another awesome thing is that my parents are buying us a new mattress for our anniversary in Sept. It may not seem like a big thing but the one we have is around 6 years old and is caving in. We dont have the money for a new one so Mom found one on sale at BJ's next week so YAY for that!

And! My vacation got approved and I got a day off for a doctors appointment! The appointment is the day after Labor Day, so I have Sunday-Tuesday off! Woohoo. And my vacation is the 20-28 of September. So I'm getting a bunch of time off that month! I'm actually really really excited! The 20th is my Wedding Anniversary and the 28th is my birthday and the weekend in the middle the DH and I are going away. I seriously can't wait!

Okay, enough tooting my own horn! Lol
  • Evamutt
    Options
    So good to hear Great news HGSmith
  • gymprincess1234
    Options
    Hey! I've been not perfect (cause then the loss would have been 1kg), but still kinda good and reduced my +3.6kg gain to +3.1kg in the past week :smile:
    Moving country, starting new uni course in 3 weeks is motivating me a lot to be the best version of myself, and for me the mental goes hand in hand with the physical.
    Been altering going to the gym to do weights with a little bit of different cardios (stair master/elliptical/treadmill) and 1h20-1h40min high resistance bike rides.

Plus while I was avoiding MFP, I had a lot of doctors time and I'm officially acid reflux and gastritis free, and no operation for thyroid till next june. Really happy and relieved, and excited to finally have a cocktail lol

Btw, it's so interesting to read about your lives, life in America sounds so different than in Europe. Wish I had you all on Instagram, would be cool to see my fellow fitness warriors :)
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @gymprincess1234 Way to go on the loss! So glad your doctors were able to set up a plan for you. I'm sadly not very active on Instagram, what do you see as some of the biggest differences between life in Europe and America?

@HGSmith0920 Congrats on the new computer and bed! Are you doing anything special for your anniversary/birthday coming up? :)

@Evamutt I totally understand the tight budget this month :/ I'm impressed you were able to stick within your budget even after the oreos, that shows great restraint! Usually when I'm tired and I start eating sugar I just can't stop!

Happy Wednesday everyone! I'm back at work after being away at an executive event yesterday. I love going to those because it feels so motivating and reminds me that I'm in the right career path. I officially signed up for the year Crossfit membership so I'm committed! I also decided to start using the Libra ap to track my daily weight trends. I'm hoping it will start to make me more accountable because I officially weigh over where I'm comfortable and want to nip that in the bud. I hope everyone has a wonderful, healthy day!
  • karencau
    karencau Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,My name is Karen and I'm new to MFP ,,,,I am a 59 years old,,I am 5'3" and 182 lbs,,,My weight loss journey started (again) in January last year and I have lost 25 lbs so far,,,my goal is to weigh 160 by my 60th birthday next April,,,,I am getting in about 7000-8000 steps daily and some weekends i hit 11,000 or more but my problem is I need motivation to exercise more,,,I am following a low carb low sugar plan and I have that under control most days but its the exercise that i need the most help with because walking alone just doesn't seem to be working,,,I love the kettlebell and have a lot of Ryan Shanahan dvd's but I cant seem to make myself do it on a regular basic..What advice can you offer for getting into and sticking to an exercise routine? Thanks in advance for your suggestions