Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Motivation: results, every time I hit a goal or see results it keeps me motivated as I know that even though it takes time, I am progressing

Success: measured myself today, I officially have a 30" waist!!!! I haven't had that in 20 years.

Frustration: when people ask how I lost so much, so I explain "through proper nutrition, both calorie monitoring and macros/micros and regular exercise" and they still say..."no seriously, what are you on?" Or worse "don't lie, you had surgery". Sometimes I just want to say "the Nutella and waffle diet" because that's what they want to hear anyways.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @Rachel0778 The DH and I are going away Friday night for a couples conference with m church. I'm super excited...The DH not so much. And the DH is taking the 20-25 off as well so we will have some really nice time together. We are that kind of couple that never seems to get sick of each other. Even when are together for days at a time. We are best friends as well as husband and wife. So all the time we get to spend together feels like I'm spending it with my best friend.

@gymprincess1234 That's awesome about the stomach issues! I'm so glad to hear it! You enjoy that cocktail! You deserve it! And that is a great loss as well! You'll be back on track in no time!

@karencau Welcome! This is a great group here! We keep each other accountable and are always encouraging and helpful!

@BabyBear76 My main motivation and frustration are the constant questions about "When are you due?" or "I didn't know you were pregnant!" I try to laugh it off but it can be pretty hurtful. I've lost 15 pounds and no one seems to have noticed and I still get asked that.
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    I think my main problem right now is my total lack of control and discipline when it comes to late night snacking. Either I stay up late and snack a bunch at night or I wake up in the middle of the night when my cat is being a butthead and grab a protein bar or something. I feel like I have no control over it and I dont know why! It's just so hard for me! It seems to be a bit easier when I'm not up really late but it's still hard. I started doing IF a few weeks ago and did pretty well but I just seem to have lost all discipline to get back into it! I dont know why! Any ideas on how to maintain discipline? Lol

Sorry for the ramble and complaining!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Gymprincess, so glad you're doing great. I lived in my home country, Hungary when I was a teenager for 9 months. I bet there are a lot of changes by now. Karen, volunteer with a local animal shelter & walk dogs there. They really need it & you'll be doing something good.You can ride a bike also. I have 6 dogs so we're out every morning for hour+ either dog park and/or walk plus I'm a volunteer with a no kill shelter. I just can't get myself to do exercise at home, that's why I go to the gym. Occasionally I do ride my bike without a dog, but I feel bad if I don't take them, or him, since my other dogs are older & don't want to run. As great as I did with the cookies, I must confess that last night hubs said to get rid of chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bars he wanted me to get for him a few days ago. He does this a lot, he eats sweets then he wants me to take the rest away so he won't be tempted. I looked on the package & it said they're low cal bars, I didn't know so I had one & it was delicious. They're 110 cal. So I ended up having 4!!, Yes 4!! & I usually don't crave sweets. Oh well, glad tonight's my HIIT class. HGSmith, just try different things till you find what works best for you. What works for me is to have the most calories at dinner & eat later, around 7-8. I have my snack right after dinner then I'm full & not snack at all before bed. Before ,I had dinner around 5-6 then snack around 8 but once I tasted something at 8, it was really hard to stop. So now I have ice tea/water & when it's cool I have hot tea. My dtr in law divides up all her snacks into 6 containers in the morning & just grabs one as the day goes on, I may try that myself.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I think my main problem right now is my total lack of control and discipline when it comes to late night snacking. Either I stay up late and snack a bunch at night or I wake up in the middle of the night when my cat is being a butthead and grab a protein bar or something. I feel like I have no control over it and I dont know why! It's just so hard for me! It seems to be a bit easier when I'm not up really late but it's still hard. I started doing IF a few weeks ago and did pretty well but I just seem to have lost all discipline to get back into it! I dont know why! Any ideas on how to maintain discipline? Lol

Sorry for the ramble and complaining!

@HGSmith0920 I used to have problems with late night snacking as well. So I did something really strange and a bit disturbing. I put a full length mirror in my hall... I could have all the snacks I wanted to, so long as I would eat them in front of the mirror, naked. After a month, I no longer even wanted the snacks.

I know that sounds really strange, but it worked.
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    @BabyBear76 That is a GENIUS idea! I absolutely love it! I am definitely going to try it! A lot of the snacking I do is right before bed. I guess subconsciously I feel like if I dont eat before bed then I'll starve to death over night or something strange like that! Lol. But I am definitely going to go buy myself a mirror! Lol

@Evamutt I think I am going to push dinner time back an hour. We are the same way you were, eating around 5-6. So I think I am going to have a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds on my way home from work and then not start dinner until around 7. I usually go to bed around 10 so hopefully this helps!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Congrats @BabyBear76! As far as other people go, just ignore them. Your journey is your own.

@HGSmith0920 I usually have oatmeal and protein powder around 8pm. That last snack is my signal that the kitchen is closed, and it works well as my workout recovery fuel too.

@Evamutt Ice cream is hard for me to resist too! At least it was only 440 calories of damage?

@karencau Do you have any gyms near you? I find I have better motivation when I have a group to workout with, such as group fitness classes

Work is crazy busy so I just wanted to pop in to say hi! I hope everyone is having a healthy week. I'm on day 4 of recording my daily weight to stay accountable, especially since my work shirt today is tight, eek! This weekend a friend invited me to all you can eat sushi, which I'm a little concerned about. I'm hoping to just stick to a seaweed salad, sashimi, and 1 roll. Wish me luck! Any tips to send my way?
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    I wanted to get up when the DH did this morning but I ended up sleeping a half an hour later than I wanted to but I did get up with enough time to make the DH lunch to take with him to work. Am I weird that I enjoy doing that? Lol. But I got up and had a cup of coffee and enjoyed my quiet time but now I am having a really hard time keeping my eyes open! I have to get ready for work in a half an hour and I have to keep telling myself that I can't go back to sleep! Maybe I'll do the yoga routine for the Harry Potter challenge. I had planned to go to the gym after work today but Mom needs me to run an errand on the way home so I dont think the gym is going to happen, but maybe a short walk or a work out video tonight instead. Just something! I'm really trying to get myself into a plan and teach myself discipline! I figure that if I can give myself the discipline to quit smoking than I KNOW that I can put other things into place if I just stick to a plan! No matter how much I dont want to do it I know that I need to! I mean I got up when I didn't have to, read my bible, prayed and didn't go back to sleep like I normally would so that's a plus in my book! Lol.

Have a great day everyone!
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    @Rachel0778 At least to me it seems like Americans are way more family oriented and selfless, but us Europeans just want to travel, a career and maybe kids after 30 just so it wouldn't be lonely in retirement. :D Or maybe it's just me comparing my life with all of yours, which are completely different, but then again we are at diffrent ages as well. :) Would love to go to US one day.

Hello!
    I've been naughty, had a cocktail night yesterday, way too many ice creams today and just 4h of sleep.Feeling bloated but I'm always better on the weekends, more active and the puffiness will go.
    Have a lovely weekend girls, hopefully on Monday I will be able to report another -0.5kg :)

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @gymprincess1234 Considering I'd rather have a career and travel than be selfless with kids I may be more European than I thought ;) I love visiting Europe, and there are definitely locations in the US I'd highly recommend too! I'm amazed you're able to do better on the weekends, that's usually when I fall apart!

@HGSmith0920 I think it's sweet you have a morning routine with your husband. I always like to start out my day with some activity too, I feel like it starts me on the right foot.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!! I'm heading up to my friend's house for a long overdue girls night tonight and then tomorrow I'm meeting up with another friend for lunch. I've already pre-tracked so I know what I'm ordering. I'm committed to doing better on the weekends because I can see my gain and it's not pretty. No more being in denial! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
  • rlarkin591
    rlarkin591 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I keep having bad days and I can easily see me going back to the old ways. Not good, not good at all.
  • velocity60
    velocity60 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    raiibmqj09h8.jpg
    I'm so happy to have Lost this week because look at that table of fried food . This is at Evelyn's drive in in RI . One of my dads summer visit favorites . I've been hitting the gym hard to compensate for vacation favorites . But I'm so blessed that this 86 year old traveled from CA to visit me . Big all day pizza party for him tomorrow at my house . So the cleaning & shopping today will help again balance what's going on calorically . Come Tuesday no more of this regional food madness ! It's clean eating time .
  • velocity60
    velocity60 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I still hate my arms in photos ! I'm hoping that another 5 pounds lost might help make a visual difference . Might have to look up how to pose arms in photos until then ! LOL
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ask your dad how to pose arms... because, wow he is going strong for 86 years!

Edit: Also, don't push your shoulders back too much. ;-) Too me it looks like you were sitting at an awkward angle for the picture and trying to keep upright by pushing your shoulders back, which then brought your arms in awkward angles.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    Yesterday I felt pretty good so had a busy day. Lunch with a few ladies from dog park(we lunch once a month), visited a friend , stopped at costco to get my yogurt, dinner at home then gym class. I am SO tired out today. Don't' know if I'll make it to volunteer at animal rescue. Didn't even want to go to dog park today, but my 6 dogs were ready to go so we went. Actually had a good time & ended up staying 1 1/2 hrs.Going to gym tonight too. I admire my trainer, who teaches the group gym class. She lost 65 lbs & got off depression medicine. She's very inspiring.I've been cooking different things for hubs but it's been upsetting his stomach so he's back to eating simple with me. I'm going to stick to veggies, salad & ground turkey/chicken for a week to boost wt loss, good luck to me
  • gymprincess1234
    Options
    Actually, I don't even know your weight loss stories- how much have you all lost and how far down the line are you?
  • Evamutt
    Options
    I started June 2016 & lost 42lbs by May 2017. I still want to loose 12 more lbs to get to my wt goal of 145. So I haven't lost any more since May 2017. I started the HIIT classes June 12, so I did lose some in measurements. It's just so hard to eat little enough to keep losing but it's been easy to maintain & I believe I won't gain any back. Every day I plan to eat less but end up eating just a little below my maintenance calories. This week I'm sticking to ground turkey patties & veggies for my main meals for the most part except I'm having grilled chicken thighs hubs just finished on the grill but with veggies. How about you gymprincess? Would love to hear from everyone else too as I don't know all your stories
  • gymprincess1234
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Evamutt, then we have lost almost the same, I had lost 50pounds and gained 6 back.

I started in mid-November 2016. Started by doing cardio 4x/week. I didn't track food or anything, I naturally just couldn't physically make myself buy anything unhealthy till at least January, and I weirdly lost appetite and was eating probably around 1200kcal even on cardio days. Then from January till June I added weight training and additional cardio, so ended up having 10 trainings per week. A bit mental, but loved it so much. In June I started running in the park too.
    Food wise, as I went from 4 to 10 workouts, my appetite grew and in January I hit my first plateau. My trainer showed me food tracking apps and I started logging and losing again.
    I lost 12kg just working out and then 11kg with tracking.
    And now, from the end of June I've been struggling, appetite grew, love for working out didn't, moved countries, don't live alone anymore, so I'm exposed to a lot of junk food and lifestyle is not even half as active. Have gained 3kg back.

In 2 weeks I'm moving to France, starting my favorite cardio classes again, the area is hilly, so will go for hikes again, back to uni, so a lot of walking and living on my own - healthy fridge again.

I have the gained 3kg +8kg to lose till goal weight. :) The first months were the easiest, literally felt like the weight and cm are just melting away week by week without much effort, but I'm optimistic, if I could get rid of 23kg, I can do 11kg more.

• rachelcalsbeek
    rachelcalsbeek Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    @gymprincess1234 I am down almost 26 lbs, and I started in April of this year. I am getting married next month (OMG, that is insane to say), so although I have been unhappy with the weight I have put on for a long time, that was a major motivator for me to get started and stick with it! My fiance and I signed up for a 10 week fitness program, where you commit to working out 6 days/week, alternating kickboxing and resistance band classes. After our 10 weeks, we ended up joining that gym. I really enjoy it!

I am down to 172 lbs from 197.6 lbs. My ultimate goal right now is 150 lbs, and I'll re-evaluate once I get there (or close to it).

Lately, it has been hard to keep my motivation going on the weekends. I have been eating badly A LOT on Saturdays and Sundays. Now that the wedding is 39 days a way, it's crunch time! Although I am really happy with my progress so far. I'm just kind of worried about how much my alteration bill for my dress will be!
  • mrack1
    mrack1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Missy and although I've been using MFP for years, I just discovered the message boards. Yay!

I've had a lot of life changes in the past three months, and I've put on about ten pounds as a result. I moved to a new state for a new job, and my eldest leaves for college later this week.

My challenge right now is mindless grazing. I'm a professor, and I'm going a little crazy with the long summer and no sense of structure. I'm so happy we are all back to school and work next week! I know my eating will improve when I'm busier, but hope my workouts don't go to *kitten* as a result. I've been pretty consistent with daily workouts.

Things I'm proud of: Did my meal plans for the whole week, including eating out tomorrow night, did 45 minutes of cardio daily for the last 5 days, going to bed earlier the past few nights (to avoid late night snacking) and have done both my meditation and yoga the past two days (which helps with the stress).

Things I need to work on: Cutting back on sweets, staying within my calorie range, believing I can do it.

Best of luck to everyone. Believe in yourself. You got this!